"Crawfished."

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Colin Grabow, Sep 5, 2002.

1. Colin Grabow

Colin Grabow New Member

Jul 22, 1999
    Washington, DC
  2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    When printed, these words have far more dignity and intelligence than actually hearing him say them.

3. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    we warnded you he was a moron...

4. irishFS1921

irishFS1921 New Member

Aug 2, 2002
    WB05 Compound
    as someone said earlier.

show me these weapons. show me saddam actually has intent to use them. on who and why.

i'd like to remind you we had thousands of nuclear weapons and such. and we developed new ones everyday. did we have intent to use them? "supposedly" but in extreme situations only. but it has been proven and quoted by many a high ranking officer that they never would have obeyed the order due to the sheer consequnces.

what's to say the situation isn't the same for sadaam? just because he has them doesn't mean he's in any hurry to use them. true he'd be violating UN rules. and if so it's a UN problem. NOT a US problem. inforce sadaams restrictions tighter and there is no problem. there in lies your solution. no war. just better policing.

JFK had nuclear weapons. he was no madman but he sure was an idiot and he never used 'em :D

5. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    This is probably the most naive thing I've ever read in my life.

Alex

6. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I was born and raised in Texas. I've caught crawfish. I've eaten crawfish. I've hosted crawfish boils. I'm a friggin crawfish junkie.

I've never heard "crawfish" used this way.

Apparently he was grasping for a verb to use, and "crawfished" was the first word that came to his mind.

Scary.

7. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > Apparently he was grasping for a verb to use,
    > and "crawfished" was the first word that came to
    > his mind.

If you heard him speak, you would know this is exactly what happened. He was in his "down-home country" accent that he uses when not using prepared speeches (when reading, he uses the "Yale power" accent, except when using Texas cliches). There was a half-minute gap between the words, and it was clear he was looking for folksy words to stick in there.

8. csc7

csc7 New Member

Jul 3, 2002
    DC
    Yeah, I went to college in south Louisiana (GEAUX Tigers, and fire Hatfill while you're at it) and I've never heard crawfish used as a verb.

then again, the president, in trying to explain how Saddam has repeated violated international law, started wars and gassed his own people, could only come up with "stiffing the world" so why should we expect better.

no wonder we can't communicate our message clearly throughout the world. President Bush commenting on world events is like Jack Edwards covering a soccer match

9. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    There's plenty of words I've never heard either...it doesn't mean they are incorrect.

Exhibit A:

intr.v. Informal craw·fished, craw·fish·ing, craw·fish·es
    To withdraw from an undertaking

http://www.dictionary.com/search?q=crawfished

GW learned y'all sumthin today.

10. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Seems some of you clowns are so blinded by your hatred for Bush that you didn't even bother to check before talking out of your SS. I am shocked, SHOCKED I say, that dumb old Mr Bush has a better vocabulary than some of you folks who claim to be so brilliant:

"Crayfish is the customary word in Britain for a small lobster-like freshwater crustacean. Americans call them crawfish as well as crayfish, and have also come to use crawfish as a verb = "to retreat from a position, to back out" (he crawfished out of the issue by claiming that he didn't drink). Australians and New Zealanders tend to abbreviate the word to cray (so cray-fishing, cray-pot, etc.). Crayfish is a 16c. alteration of earlier crevis(se) (cf. ModF écrevisse)."

morningred.com

Ok, I was lying...I'm not shocked that he's smarter than you guys since he has a Harvard MBA and you have a degree from Diddly Tech.

11. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Dude, what's scary is that you've lived in Texas your whole life and never heard the phrase. See my post above and prepare to feel small. You really must get out of the house more often. And, to think, you're the dude picking Post of the Week.

12. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You don't get it Ian. No one said it was not a word, but that it is not used as a southern colloquialism. Bush has east coast Ivy League people writing for him (and uses his own east coast Ivy League education) to sound like a Texan, and they don't always get it right.

13. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I retract my statement. So "crawfish" is a real verb. But considering all the words, phrases and rules of grammar that Bush has invented for himself, you really can't blame me too much for not giving him the benefit of the doubt.

14. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    A lot of good the Harvard MBA did him. Just remember that Bush has never managed a single business enterprise that didn't fail.

15. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    I'm sure all the Yale MBA grads are laughing at where Bush's Harvard MBA got him, the most powerful job in the world.

What a waste of an education.

16. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Do you really believe Bush got into Harvard or Yale on his own merits?

I'm not gonna offer any opinions of the man, but don't throw this around as proof of the guy's brilliance.

17. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Considering the tanking economy, a failed war on terrorism, and the eroding of civil liberties -- I think you're right.

18. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Proving once again that Republicans will put up with literally anything from George W. Bush. You're not a little worried that the first time someone asked Dubya a question about something he had allegedly been seriously considering for months, he sounded like the jug player from "Hee Haw"?

Oh, Saddam is CRAWFISHING? Well, why didn't Bush say so earlier? That makes everything clearer! Sure, I was a TINY bit curious as to whether Saddam had any links to al-Qaeda, or helped finance September 11th, or even if there was some hard evidence that he had WMDs, but now that I know he's CRAWFISHING, that changes EVERYTHING! LOCK AND LOAD!

19. Noonan

Noonan New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    Colorado
    I hope I'm just missing the joke and that you don't seriously think Bush's education is what got him his latest gig. Or any of his gigs.

Feel free to rip me a new one if I did miss the joke. :)

20. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Oh, hell. The only thing worse than a fancy pants harvard degree is a useless snowbound midwestern degree.

I've eaten crawfish at "crawfish balls" in Lake Charles, LA with union steward welders.

************ y'all.

21. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    He didn't say "crawfishing", he said "crawfished". Get it right, Loney! I know you are stickler for accuracy! Hey, my feeling has always been that if a word exits in the dictionary then you might as well use it (hence my, admittedly annoying, tendency to use the word "dude"). Stay in school, kids, and some day you can grow up to use fancy words as President.

22. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Actually, Sadam is really "horney toadin'", arguably "stink buggin" and perhaps "ett'n his caldo afore its cooled"

23. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No apple fell farther from the tree than "W". I wonder if his father is embarrassed by him. I know if my son were that stupid, even if he was president I'd seriously consider getting DNA testing to prove he wasn't my offspring. This raises the whole heredity versus environment question to new heights.

24. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How bout the Rangers?

25. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought he said he was a crawfish. Which would make Sad-Am the biggest crustacean in the world.