CP Baltimore 2010 Season Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Baltimore' started by jakcfl, Apr 15, 2010.

1. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since the link to Crystal Palace UK is most likely to expire after this campaign, why would they continue it after their financial struggles as we haven't provided them any players to put on the pitch at Selhurst Park or to sell into Europe, its time to consider how the new requirements to stay at the D-2 level would effect us. Given our financial struggles I would find it unlikely we can come up with the $750k performance bond. Also, we don't have a soccer specific stadium in development, though that could change if the MSA feasibility study goes our way. The last major component, an owner with a net worth of $20 million, might also be a problem. In my opinion all these things lead to a trip back to USL-2, temporarily at least. The question at the end of all of this is do you think that it hurts the team in generating fans, if they enact promotions and marketing efforts, when we would be facing smaller markets as opposed to staying at the D-2 level?

2. wellington

wellington Member

Jun 4, 1999
    Charlotte, NC
    Club:
    Charlotte
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    They should have stayed in D2. I think most of us knew this would be a disaster. At this point, CP Baltimore will be lucky to play in any league next season. This reminds me a lot of Cleveland City. Moving up was an absolute train wreck. Sadly, if Cleveland had stayed in D2 they would likely still be around. Will history repeat itself with CP Baltimore?

If they do return, they should drop the ridiculous Crystal Palace moniker and merge with Real Maryland -- become Maryland Bays FC and play in the new USL Pro Championship. Travel is fairly reasonable with teams in PA, VA, and The Carolinas. That makes the most sense to me. But at this point, fielding a team in any league is questionable at best.

3. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, we should have stayed down. There was no proof that moving up would draw more fans. Our attendance wasn't even that great by USL-2 standards. A schedule largely devoid of early home games, repeated venue changes, and a late start due to the forced cooperation between USL and NASL pretty much killed any long shot chances of success. Now the concern is will we have a team of any kind next year? Baltimore has never had a pro outdoor soccer team longer then we have had Crystal Palace Baltimore. The lag between outdoor soccer entities has usually been long and given this is the first time I am old enough to appreciate it the time is going to seem even longer. Real Maryland is not especially well run either and is too far from Baltimore. Plus they have generally tried to cater to the Hispanic audience around DC. DC United is another option but is a bit of a haul from where I live and the cost of attending is more. Of course there is the chance that the study currently underway by the Maryland Stadium Authority could yield a stadium for Crystal Palace or a following entity or even a proposal for a stadium for DC United, though having them move here from DC is somewhat distasteful for me personally. I'd rather they be able to stay in DC and be supported by those who have made them a successful franchise over the years if only a stadium could be constructed for them in the District. Of course the number of people you have to bribe on the local and federal level to get anything done in the District would end up costing as much as the stadium. Maybe something will change during the offseason that could still yield us a team. I'll keep showing up til the end, one way or the other.

4. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Palace was due for a stinker, but 0-5. Good grief. Impact wanted revenge, and finally got it. The usually steady defense finally cracked.

Defenders were falling down, bounces were unlucky, a couple of dubious (lack of) calls by assistant referee, little effort in central midfield allowing Impact to run full speed head on at backs trying to hold their line, Impact making shots they missed in previous matches all contributed to the lashing.

The team can not get organized in center of field, losing shape constantly, failing to link, lacking attack and giving opponents free reign. Time after time the Palace attack featured 2 or 3 men (an attacking winger + 1-2 moving centrally) vs. 5-6 well-positioned defenders. That's no way to break down a defense and score goals.

Overall, Palace was flat, indifferent at times, even lethargic. Maybe the Wed. match against Rochester (which they should have tied at nil) deflated them. Neto disappeared after 5 minutes (having played well against Impact previously). Mbuta was rusty, Yoshi and Lader tired quickly, Flores was simply beat on several occasions, muscular Gerba pushed Marshall and others around including a two hand toss of Pejic that was overlooked by Ref (but not team and fans). Adding Brooks up top in second half gave team the lift and energy needed at kick off and Lucio showed some energy. Bush was capable but could never gain position to make key stops he made in previous matches.

Once again (as against MN) Jim made a substitute at the 44th minute - great coaching move Jim. Every team has improved over the course of the season (including Miami) except Palace.

I am at a loss as to why they play so poorly at home and especially at Russo Stadium in Towson (remember their horrid loss to mediocre MN team they beat a week later in MN).

The 2 losses this week could have sealed Palace's fate.

5. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    1. Crystal Palace link to UK is already done (dead) deal after the season even though CP UK was amenable to some form of continuance.

2. Without new investment, management and coaching, Palace will have no chance of remaining in NASL. A move down a division would require same changes. Jim-Pete have run this opportunity into the ground and will never again get support from USL - NASL, or maybe even PDL. For all their failures, the biggest is 3+years of burning bridges with virtually every soccer-oriented entity, fan, sponsor, media, investor, venue, coach and player in the community. They couldn't even find a sponsor to put on their kits. Paying their bills would help immensely as would following thru with ideas and promises.

3. For now, a serious soccer venue in Balt. is a pipedream unless DC United are lured north, another pipedream. United's brand, link to Latino community of District, and fear of even worse support in Balt. dooms any prospect of their move North. Even a new stadium in, say, Howard County (mid-way between DC and Balt) would likely fail. Demographics of DC and Balt about as similar as San Franciso and Atlanta. Also, anyone involved with the so-called stadium study must surely be distancing themselves from any involement with Pete-Jim.

4. Here's a sad bet - following this season, Pete-Jim will "never" again find a coaching position - High School, College, Junior College or prominent club team - in the Baltimore area.

6. Sherman_Peabody

Apr 19, 2010
    Maryland
    Club:
    DC United
    Wow Buzz99, that's a pretty cold and bleak appraisal. I haven't lived in the Baltimore area that long, but from what I've seen, the climate for business expansion here is better than a lot of places. So, if the fan support for outdoor soccer at the pro level is there, the entrepreneurs will come.

Granted, it probably won't be Pete and Jim, but there are other people out there with money. I only wish I knew some of them better. :) Baltimore remains a good pro soccer town, I think; particularly when you consider its cosmopolitan nature -- proximity to DC, port city, and all that.

If CPB does go under for good, anyone wishing to start a pro outdoor soccer team here would need a new business model. I think a D2 development team for DC United with an SSS in Baltimore shows real promise. Such an arrangement would increase the fan base of both clubs, and give DCU a cash-flow positive venue for at least some of its games.

We'll just have to see how things play out.

7. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think having an appropriate venue would be key. It's a question of finding the right site and is it affordable.

As for being a develoment side I'm not sure how Baltimore would go for that. We tend to have a bit of a complex about minor league teams, as citizens see themselves as equals to DC and Philadelphia but a lot of major leagues we'll never get into because of our proximity to the aforementioned cities. The only way I see a chance of a development team flying is if we get maybe 3-5 players from an MLS side and the rest of the squad is fleshed out by the local organization. This way you can have some players from the local organization provide year to year continuity and an identity for the team rather than just having development players coming in and out each season. If that's the arrangement you meant, sorry :(

8. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “We play better in packed stadiums away from home,” said Palace Baltimore goalkeeper, Evan Bush. “It’s something about the environment." <sigh>

9. BillyMay23here

BillyMay23here New Member

May 1, 2010
    This might have just been an excuse so that he didnt put the blame where it truly belongs, on dumb and dumber.

10. Hax

Hax BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 1, 2000
    I still think a lot of it has to do with marketing. Nobody knows about this team and where it plays. Stability is key in the minor leagues, look at Harrisburg for example. It's a small city but the City Islanders franchise remained clear about its audience and financial abilities. As such, they've been stable, remained in the more cost effective USL-2, and will return again next year. Plus, they average 700 more fans a game than Palace and they didn't even make the playoffs. How? They support the youth leagues, they advertise throughout Harrisburg, they're represented in local soccer shops, and they've become a fixture on City Island in the process. Considering the size of Baltimore and its passion for soccer, a team should work. When things like the 2010 NASL debacle occur for Palace, you have to question the leadership of the organization that got the team in its current predicament. I hope they survive, but they need leadership that's reasonable and practical.

11. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are plenty of soccer fans in Baltimore, but Palace hasn't been able to tap into their consciousness... yet.

12. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    let's see: by my rough estmates and calculations and excluding any debt retirement (e.g. stadium cost), it would require annual budget of about $3m for Palace or successor to field an NASL team:

Operating expenses (excluding marketing) `````````$800,000 - 900,000

Team payroll ``````````````````````````````$1,000,000 - 1,200,000

Marketing ```````````````````````````````` WHATEVER IT TAKES!

Executive payroll + coaching staff ```````````````$250,000 - 350,000

Performance bond ````````````````````````````$400,000 - 750,000

Total ````````````````````````````````````$2,450,000 - 3,200,000

Assuming 1,000 tickets per game at $15 each for 15 matches: $225,000
    Assuming 5,000 tickets per game at $15 each for 15 matches: $1,125,000
    Assuming 10,000 tix per game at $15 each for 15 matches: $2,250,000

Now you can see why Portland, Vancouver, Montreal, Rochester can excel, why Austin, Carolina. P.R. and Tampa survive, and Miami, St Louis and Palace fight to stay afloat. It's all about seats in the seats. Sponsors are secondary, but nice help to defray costs.

An owner of a franchise in Baltimore would have to sustain serious losses for 3 years and hope to break even thereafter. Competition will force teams to higher payroll. Thus, an owner should be able to lose, say, $10m before turning a profit at this (NASL) level. Marketing and ticket sales are critical - SOMETHING PALACE NEVER SEEMED TO UNDERSTAND! HANGING A SHINGLE ON YOUR DOOR DOESN'T EXACTLY GUARANTEE YOU CLIENTS!

13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    CP Baltimore must be losing a lot of money

14. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bad effort tonight in the 3-0 loss in Portland. No real offense and the defense looked badly exposed on several occasions. Think of the Minnesota and Montreal matches at Calvert Hall and you get the impression. I think all the departures on the field and whatever has been going on off the field have started to really take a toll. I'm still hoping for solid efforts down the stretch to close out this campaign.

15. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot to add that a couple of new additions to the roster, Alan Sanchez from Real Maryland (played in the home Montreal match as well), Adrian Bumbut (Blast player, played in Richmond last year not sure if he played outdoors this campaign), and...Jim Cherneski. If I understood correctly through the buffer-a-thon on my computer that was the first half, Cherneski has been added to the roster as a player. It was clarified in pregame comments that Portland had no respect for us even after we had beaten them twice. Their coach not preparing them to take us seriously was apparently our fault and was just "lucky." I guess their "revenge", as the announcers kept stating, is beating a bedraggled team that has dispatched several players and is currently holding together through a combination of grit, spit and duct tape. Huzzah!

16. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With addition comes subtraction. Basso, Perez and Gonzaga gone, Sanchez, Bumbut and back-up goalie Mark Murphy added. If we move up to division or multiplication instead of basic equations I'm gonna have to call in a mathematician :D

17. eastcoaster

eastcoaster New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    you have to kidding us all - please say it isn't true - cherneski on the roster again! as if i need more reasons not to go to a game now. I would be ok with it if it means he won't coach anymore .. sorry but had to say it.
    Hear some key players are already looking for new teams for next year.

18. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    he was dressed and warmed-up again but didn't play at Carolina. we didn't do too well and another mystery penalty kick at Wakemed but we see them again in another week and in truth there isn't too much seperating them from us on the field. not sure why Yoshi and Brooks were missing, maybe yellow card suspension, i can never keep track of that. Bumbut, despite the unfortunate last name, was very active and might make a good runner off Brooks who can hold the ball as a point man. a little extra support from the midfield holding a higher line offensviely would put Carolina's questionable backline under pressure. a couple of wins in the final home games would make a nice conclusion to the season. booking my tix to Tampa for our last match soon too. hope that makes up for the missed home games with the soccer gods :D

19. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yoshi has been "loaned" to austin for the remainder of the season.

Austin adds midfielder

20. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well thats just charming. He was doing an excellent job for us, he deserves a shot at a title. As a bonus Yoshi gets reunited with former team leading scorer Randi Patterson. BTW Tom Heinemann looked good in his debut with the Railhawks. Too bad we can't score any offensive help like that.

21. Mikey mouse

Mikey mouse Member

Jul 27, 1999
    Charleston, SC
    Club:
    Charleston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin also added Battery assistant coach and midfielder, Ian Fuller. thats three guys from last season squad.

22. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    CP played better against Carolina - should have been 1-0 loss (discounting cheesey PK and meaningless goal in final seconds). Palace again lacking offensive punch while Carolina has shown they are not much better at scoring than CP. Without offense, the defense is constantly on its back heels and any mistake becomes costly. Team lacks depth and cohesiveness to play a full 90 and continues the awful trend of giving up the "game winning goal" 60-75 minutes in the match following a respectable first half.

Next 3 games are make or break for not only the season, but the entire organization. Palace finally starting to promote team a bit, but too little too (way) late I'm afraid. I would not be surprised the league frees up the entire team from their contracts immediately following the last match. Look for Evan Bush to be signed quickly by a quality club - Robson, Marshall, possibly Mbuta and Nishamura could/should find other opportunities. Yoshi is solid bet to play elsewhere as is youthful prospect Veeder. Brooks could catch on as a back up somewhere. Rest of team - Neto, Healey, Lader, Pejic, Fusilier and aging Texiera - will be scrambling to find work.

Finally - big question is, "will Jim actually put himself in a match"? My bet is "yes", a fitting end and legacy for the franchise.

23. BillyMay23here

May 1, 2010
    I heard a rumor, from a guy on the team, that no one is being paid from now until the end of the season.

24. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Somehow I'm not seeing that as helpful when you try to get motivated as a player for an upcoming match. Of course everyone with the team keeps in interviews mentioning that our lack of attendance/atmosphere at games doesn't motivate our players either. Those two elements combined should make for a lot of tense moments in the stands the next three matches.

25. BillyMay23here

May 1, 2010
    Yeah good luck at the matches with no players. Who would show up to play for those idiots for free. Maybe Cherneski can give himself a start. At least Pete will have a job with Daddy once he and Jim fully run the team into the ground. I feel bad for the players and somehow feel Jim and Pete don't care about them.