CP Baltimore 2010 Season Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Baltimore' started by jakcfl, Apr 15, 2010.

1. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An unfortunate result against Vancouver last night, falling 3-0. The goal-less run has gotten a bit draining. Two of Vancouver's goals can be laid at the feet of the officials. The first came after a free kick that shouldn't have been awarded to the Whitecaps and another should have been whistled off sides. The refs even saw fit to deprieve us of a penalty when we looked to have a player taken down in the box. Offensively we looked useful in the first half but seemed to lose our steam in the second after the Vancouver goal just before half time. At this point you just brush off your boots and look to the next match with Carolina. Despite the bloated scoreline from our last match in Cary the Railhawks don't offer much we can't handle.

2. mallensmith2001

mallensmith2001 New Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Mamore
    Heard that an article will be in the paper sometime this week as to CP and Randy Medd not paying payers or the Academy coaches. It seems that the academy coaches have tried for months only to get PM BS. He is a master at BS. Just ask the Bays and other clubs in the area. Too bad that they are arrogant and stupid...bad combination. This could explode very badly.
    Q: Worst goal production, worst public relations, worst crowds, 11th out of 12 teams and according them....it is someone else at fault

3. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    I fear you are right

Frankly, I never understood why they left USL2

4. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    First, boys deserved better on Sat. They played with energy and they played smart. Should have ended 1-1 (as should have the Carolina match last week). They even "promoted" the match and had a respectable attendance.

They outplayed Whitecaps entire first half, narrowly missing goals on 2-3 occasions. Showing speed, skill and converting strong midifield play, Santiago and Mbuta ran past Caps' outside backs at will. Brooks was strong up top. Back line and keeper solid as midfield kept shape and frustrated Caps middies. However, the center ref was weak and one of a number of terrible calls given in stoppage gave Caps a dangerous set piece which they converted at halftime. Son of a b*%#h!

2nd half pretty similar with Brooks inexplicably missing great opportunity and Mbuta being pulled down in box - either of which should have tied match. However, Caps managed a second goal in 70th minute and the match was over, as boys clearly dejected gave up a 3rd goal as they pushed forward and also began to tire (per usual). They missed a couple of decent shots including 2 late blasts off the frame, but couldn't manage a goal, again.

Second, Jim and Pete are done, the team is likely done, they owe everyone money, the league is supporting the team, they sold/loaned several of their best players and they let the academy die even though it was growing and becoming viable. They will likely be sued, embarrassed in the press and out of business. Too bad for the boys, their loyal fans and Baltimore soccer. Son of a b*%#hs!

Still wish I could buy the team, but have yet to win lottery! Sorry.

1 person likes this.
  5. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    A story TOO OFTEN heard in US soccer

6. BillyMay23here

BillyMay23here New Member

May 1, 2010

Yeah but it is worse because these two jokers couldn't care less about the actual players. It's unfortunate that they always thought it was about them and not the team or the fans

7. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep

Correct, because the players are just employees like you and me, with bills to pay

8. mallensmith2001

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Mamore
    Heard players refuse to play next game? Have bills to pay an no more patience for Jim. Is this true? Why is he still coaching? He must have some pictures of Pete Medd and Randy Medd. A player told my girlfriend that "Jim is the laughing stock of the league and that other teams feel sorry for them". How did this happen? Are they as dumb as people say? Fire Jim, pay your employees and move out of the state.

9. mallensmith2001

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Mamore
    Met some players at the Loyola/MD game tonight. Said they were paid. Great news for them, however they said that Pete and Randy Medd have not paid and are not going to pay the academy coaches, and owe a lot of money still to travel groups, etc.. Players seemed very upset over the lack of communication from Randy Medd and do not feel Pete tells him everything. One even called Pete a "rich , spoiled, arrogant ass" MD team looked way better than Loyola, great crowed. People come out to see teams that promote and have a facility.........wow, great idea!

10. eastcoaster

eastcoaster New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Last line is funny dude! Are they really that bad off? I had "inside info" earlier in year but my friends on the team are there no longer and happy about it. Have not seen them play in a while - got mad at all the changes in home fields and stopped going. Tried to get season ticket $ back but didn't even get an answer back from them. All I know for sure - they have some good players who got ruined by such a bad management team. I hear they will go to USL again next year? anyone know.

11. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If they can get USL to take them back I'd say that is the smart choice but apparently they were still listed on the paperwork NASL submitted to USSF for D-2 certification. If the team owes a great deal of money around town I'm not even sure how they would draw new sponsors or vendors. Businesses talk amongst themselves. I'm happy that someone went out on a limb to bring pro outdoor soccer back to the Baltimore area, I just wish things were going more smoothly on and off the field.

On a light-hearted/dark side note, I've been trying to find people to come to the remaining games offering up my many extra season tix for free. I can't even get the kids on my son's soccer team to attend and these are people who know nothing of the on-field/off-field travails of CP Baltimore. I think the dream of those hoping to get an MLS team in Baltimore is just that. If you aren't getting people together for something Ravens related in this town you might as well tell them you're having a sleep over at a sewage treatment plant, you'll get about the same response.

12. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    CPB - Carolina 2 - 4

13. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fell behind early 3-0, tried to find our way back through two goals of our own but no such luck in the final 2-4 result. Injuries and yellow card suspensions left us without much on the bench. Several players look to be done for the year through injury. One more home match then off to Tampa for the season finale. We got off our goal-less run so here's hoping we give Portland a run for their money in our home schedule ender.

1 person likes this.
  14. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Thank God for Jim Cherneski - as I predicted weeks ago - he managed to get himself into a match. With injuries, sit-outs from cards, releases, and "no-shows"?, the Palace bench was down to one player. Jim may now boast one of the longest careers in professional soccer as a field player!

The "no-bench" squad is clearly in violation of league rules and subject to a fine, but pointless as the NASL would be paying itself the penalty. Players continue to receive checks from the league. I wonder if Jim gets his pay from the league?

Last week, Carolina's early goal stunned Palace and the boys quickly gave up another plus a questionable PK on the keeper coming out to greet the ball on a one-on-one and barely (if at all) touched the lad but broke up his attack that was punished rather harshly by the center. Once again, the lads did not receive any favors from the referees. I am not certain that we have been rewarded with more than 1 pk (second match of season?) at home while suffering several, mostly questionable calls. Second half much better and again showed the heart (and skill) of many of the remaining squad - the 4th goal was a fluke rebound to striker in front of net. Otherwise, as 2-3 result would have looked much more respectable. Palace has shown in 4 matches that Carolina is more talented/deep than Palace, but not much better in overall play. See what a little coaching(Carolina has a good one) and team stability can do!

Finally, can NASL or even USL(in expected new format for next season) welcome Palace back with Jim-Pete still in charge and deep in debt to many. COuld Palace find any players to suffer another year. Players under current contracts for next year should be able to void them due to the many violations Palace management has committed (and they are league contracts). Maybe Jim-Pete could handle a PDL team; HA! I can't imagine any soccer program in the State willing to take Jim-Pete into their organization as coaches/mangers.

By the way, anyone know what coaching level badge Jim possesses?

15. buzz99

buzz99 Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I HATE Portland. They are the only truly arrogant bunch and their coach is no more level-headed than Jim. We beat them twice in first half of season when our team was much better. They beat us as a downtrodden squad late in the season , and likely will do so again. I hope they are destroyed next year in MLS!

Montreal is also a bit chippy and the owner outspoken, but in reality, the Impact is a hard playing, hard-tackling aggressive group on the pitch, but decent professionals after the match.

Overall, the league has been very professional and players respectful of other sides, on and off the pitch.

16. eastcoaster

eastcoaster New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    How could they possibly be allowed to play for any league next year? It seems as though they owe so many people money, no player will sign with an organization that isn't organized and prooves it every year but never more then they did this year (4 home fields!!). They don't respond to emails or calls form those of us who once were their fans. They are too arrogant to hire a quality coach which would have made a big difference this year. and they have great coaches on their payroll with the academy.
    Also - you say there were "no shows" for the game? who were they?
    Ah feels good to vent on here even though I doubt many people read this.

17. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final home match of the season. Hopefully we'll get a good turnout and a good result. A couple of players out of the last match on yellow card suspension return, and hopefully what other injuries had us down to a one man bench vs. Carolina have healed. This season has been a bit of a struggle but I'm proud of the way the team has continued to put the effort in each week.

I know a lot of people on here and at the matches aren't thrilled with the way things have been handled from a coaching or management standpoint, but I'm just glad that the Medd's and Jim Cherneski stepped-up to provide outdoor pro soccer to our region. It's rather like the Peter Angelos dilemna. Perhaps as fans we may not agree with what goes on in regards to the team but I don't see others clamoring to step in and take over who can actually afford to do so. Running the team has no doubt cost the Medds a considerable amount in losses. I know I'll probably get slammed for this, but I'd like to thank them for their effort in trying to provide us with a team.

18. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Final home match of the year didn't go well for us. Final of 3-1 was a bit unfair as the officials were fairly clueless as to what was transpiring on the field. The refs at our matches this year make WWE officials look surprisingly competent. After taking the trip to Tampa for our final match next week it will be a long off-season waiting for a return to action on the field. I'll start counting the days starting next Saturday.

19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    What are the chances for PRO soccer in Baltimore next year ?

20. eastcoaster

eastcoaster New Member

Nov 23, 2009
    Doubtful form what I hear becasue they already ran out of money. They defintiely owe money to a number of people - whom i understand may taking them to court. Heard this at a local youth game this weekend from someone with a local club that palace was doing things with so can;t really confirm it.
    I would say that this person who told me has been right on most things he has told me this year. (son has beenin the academy for CP - which he says they have heard nothing about for next year - only that it probably wouldn't happen.
    anyone else know anything about that - lawsuit or academy. The academy seemed to be the best part of the whole club. Said it before - so sad how bad these guys have become. I really thought they would be good this year and think they had good talent.

21. mallensmith2001

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Mamore
    Some of the players were involved with the academy and one said that he has not been paid for that work yet. To bad, I met some academy kids at the game and they loved the program. Things seem to work when you have good people running the show. Jim and Pete should have used these guys....any reason they did not use them for the pro team? Check out their bios on the web site and then look at J&P. Pretty funny stuff when you compare. On a different note, why does everyone blame P&J? It seem Randy Medd is to blame. How can you let these guys run your team like this? How can you live in MD and not pay your people? The soccer community is small, you need to build relationships and I think that people got turned off by the large number of lies that these guys told. Why I applaud them for trying, I blame them for ruining what could have been a great thing.

22. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    Bad news coming out of Baltimore, last year it was Cleveland.

Maybe they should keep the youth programs and regroup in PDL

23. jakcfl

jakcfl Member

Mar 5, 2007
    Maryland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The original plan back at the beginning was to be pdl, i believe, so going that route would be fine if they are still going to have a developmental operation for CP London. it might be a hard sell in baltimore at that level of play though.

24. BillyMay23here

BillyMay23here New Member

May 1, 2010
    These owners got into this business to make money. They legitimately thought they could develop players through the academy and USL team and sell them overseas for a profit. They didn't know anything about soccer at either the USL or the youth level and instead of hiring people that knew how to do it right they tried to do it themselves.
    They had no idea what was involved in the whole process and burnt every bridge they possibly could, including those at the USL.
    Any league sanctioning this team with the current ownership in tact is either desperate for money or not worried about their image.
    It also has to be said that Crystal Palace UK is going to hurt their brand image if they continue to affiliate themselves with the Medds and Cherneskis.

25. mallensmith2001

Sep 10, 2010
    Club:
    Real Mamore
    CP is dead in the water not because of any other reason than poor leadership and coaching. If I bought a restaurant, I would need to bring in people who have success in running a restaurant or it would fail. CP made some tragic mistakes on how they dealt with people both on the field and off. They need to save face by paying all they owe in a timly fashion and move on in life. To have this group stay in charge and return put soccer in a very bad like and hurts the growth of the game.