Covid-19: We don’t talk about 1-18

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yoshou, Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
  2. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    If I were you I'd bypass RI and stick to Ma. If I remember correctly there's still an old Ma Blue Law that reads, "Anyone suspected of crossing the border from RI can be shot". If you absolutely must at least wear a Red Sock or a tri-cornered hat. :cautious:

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  3. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sitruc, luftmensch, Chicago76 and 4 others repped this.
  4. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chicago76 and russ repped this.
  5. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Man, wait til you hear what Taylor Twellman said gave an entire MLS team COVID-19.

6. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

It's only been 25 years, y'all. You've had another team for years. Sorry that they kinda suck.

sitruc and crazypete13 repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The Hanoi solution to the years concrete production data!

Every day better than the last!

Every year a record 20% improvement!

8. Ismitje, appwrangler and ChrisSSBB repped this.
  9. I love that gif. Just the looks my little nieces give me when I try to con them...like Yeah, right uncle...

10. Scientists from the Birmingham Uni have processed data of the Dutch institute RIVM, responsible for the corona advices to the gouvernment, they gathered of all the Dutch communities.
    The relation between air pollution and corona deaths seem significant.
    https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=3628242
    Air Pollution Exposure and COVID-19
    IZA Discussion Paper No. 13367

31 Pages Posted: 17 Jun 2020

Matthew Cole
    University of Birmingham - Department of Economics

Ceren Ozgen
    University of Birmingham

Eric Strobl
    Ecole Polytechnique, Paris - Department of Economic Sciences; IZA Institute of Labor Economics

Abstract
    In light of the existing preliminary evidence of a link between Covid-19 and poor air quality, which is largely based upon correlations, we estimate the relationship between long term air pollution exposure and Covid-19 in 355 municipalities in the Netherlands. Using detailed secondary and administrative data we find compelling evidence of a positive relationship between air pollution, and particularly PM2.5 concentrations, and Covid-19 cases, hospital admissions and deaths. This relationship persists after controlling for a wide range of explanatory variables. Our results indicate that a 1 μ/m3 increase in PM2.5 concentrations is associated with 9.4 more Covid-19 cases, 3.0 more hospital admissions, and 2.3 more deaths. The relationship between Covid-19 and air pollution withstands a number of sensitivity and robustness exercises including instrumenting pollution to mitigate potential endogeneity and modelling spatial spillovers using spatial econometric techniques.

Keywords: COVID-19, air pollution, Netherlands, spatial spillovers

JEL Classification: I21, I23, Q53

PuckVanHeel repped this.
  11. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That reminds me of the various versions of this advert that ran for many ears on British TV...

12. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Hopefully our country will veto the wealth transfers to the south of Europe... (They are wealth transfers to German and French companies as well). The EU destroys our pensions. #Nexit

13. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a friend with an inside source, supposedly the Ohio governor is going to shut down the state again in order to try and make it possible for schools to open this fall (fall being next month). He's scheduled a tv address to the state tonight. No details on exactly which businesses will be closed, for how long.

Wonder how the MAGA types will blame Dr Amy Acton this time.

American Brummie repped this.
  14. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Double plus good!

dapip repped this.
  15. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, regarding beaches, maybe this has been stated because it's so effing obvious. But while it's probably true that being on the beach itself is pretty safe, masses of people who travel to the beach on vacation have to stay somewhere. Eat somewhere. Maybe buy supplies somewhere. Most probably aren't staying in private beach houses.

16. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    It's not just that. When people vacation at the Jersey shore, they don't make their own food, so they go to restaurants and eat out. There's not a lot of open air dining spots, so they eat on the boardwalks. Well, the boardwalks are packed, and you can't eat while wearing a mask, so people are basically just ignoring masks. A co-worker's wife took her two kids down to Ocean City, NJ for the day just to walk on the boardwalk. She figured that everyone would be wearing masks, but she was so shocked at the number of people not wearing masks that she immediately got back in the car and left. She the boardwalk was wall-to-wall with people acting like nothing is going on. The beach itself isn't what's getting people sick because you can easily stay 6 feet from someone else on the beach. It's everything away from the beach that are making numbers rise.

sitruc, spejic, russ and 2 others repped this.
  17. KensingtonSC

KensingtonSC Still Lazy After All These Years

FC Vaduz / Philadelphia Union
    Jan 7, 2010
    Andalusia, PA
    Club:
    FC Vaduz
    FYI - If you live in PA, you have to quarantine for 2 weeks if you're going into Massachusetts. I don't know about the rest of New England, but you're definitely going to have a problem in Mass.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

Currently a launch is being delayed because of a boat within the launch range...

19. Chicago76

Chicago76 Member+

Jun 9, 2002
    Not to mention....drinking. I enjoy a nice Day long session of drinking as much as the next guy, but let’s face it, even if you’re only drinking to the point where the “edge is off”, you’re probably getting lax in the precautions you’d normally take.

luftmensch, Dr. Wankler, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  20. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    My wife had an appointment today with her RA doctor, being a teacher she is concerned about going back because she is high risk, her doctor gave her a letter stating she should not be at work unless proper safety measures are taken, we'll see what happens in a month. Also, even though RA puts her in the high risk category because she is immuno-compromised, her doctor told her that when she was doing rounds back in April at the hospital treating covid patients there was no difference in sickness level due to RA or medicine that people take for RA. In fact, one of the drugs to treat the cytokine storm in covid patients is an RA drug.

21. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Side note, but last week Evanston Hospital had but a single patient who had been admitted for COVID-19. Get on the right side of the curve, wear masks, take the appropriate precautions, this thing can be tamed. Not easily eliminated, not at all, but controlled.

Dr. Wankler, blissett, dapip and 5 others repped this.
  22. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    If they stay in a condo, they are using elevators packed with people...

Auriaprottu, Dr. Wankler and xtomx repped this.
  23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That would be a dangerous scene, being in shared living space with people you don't know, on vacation. Some of them won't give AF, period, while others might be pretty well behaved at home, but will let it loose while on vacation.

24. Paul Berry

Paul Berry Member+

Notts County and NYCFC
    United States
    Apr 18, 2015
    Nr Kingston NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Walmart to mandate face masks at Walmart and Sam's Club.

Does Youtube have the capacity for all the upcoming Karen videos?