Covid-19: We don’t talk about 1-18

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yoshou, Apr 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Now now, I knew that.

Boandlkramer repped this.
  2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source that.

It will only be in high school textbooks because the overall corruption and incompetence of the current administration. I just check three different textbooks I have at home and none of them mention the Spanish Flu which was far worse.

Mind, this will be mentioned in recent editions, but 10 or 15 years on, it will be not be significantly separated from the rest of the this administration.

What do you mean it wasn't that bad? There were numbers which estimated 33% didn't/couldn't pay rent.

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Depends on if they’re red or blue but the virus isn’t choosy.

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Spanish flu didn't shut down the economy for months and (probably for COVID-19) permanently change various habits. I think this one makes it. But to clarify, I meant in my original comment only within the context of summarizing the success/failure of the Trump Presidency.

soccernutter repped this.
  5. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Went to the grocery store today. Place was more or less stocked besides the tp aisle. There was even plenty of cat litter which the last time I went was empty. First time seeing a majority of customers wearing some sort of mask. I'm going with wearing one of dozen soccer scarfs I have as a face mask.

sitruc, luftmensch, spejic and 1 other person repped this.
  6. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The Chicago suburbs are in process of requiring that masks be worn by both employees and customers in stores. The first few burbs have passed such ordinances (Skokie, Glenview, Cicero, Oak Park among others), the rest will soon follow.

sitruc and NORML repped this.
  7. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to order me some masks.

8. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Watch for Jarred, he’s stealing them off your face.

Deadtigers and charlie15 repped this.
  9. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I've certainly noticed an increase in mask wearers.

But I really don't understand why I saw some people wearing masks while driving alone in their cars.

onefineesq, luftmensch, stanger and 2 others repped this.
  10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I did that the other day while driving to a few different stores. I try not to mess with it until I get home and ditch the mask & gloves

My town will be giving out tickets to the slobs who drop their masks & gloves in the store parking lots. Nasty fckers.

sitruc, spejic and russ repped this.
  11. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Also the Spanish flu came at the end of an era where deadly epidemics regularly broke out with malaria and yellow fever being two of them. This pandemic is more likely to be textbook worthy because it is unique in time. assuming this isn't the start of a new era with regular epidemics

Deadtigers, luftmensch and russ repped this.
  12. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Maybe it depends on the type of mask, but I wouldn't be happy driving with mine on. So I take mine off after I disinfect my hands.

13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might depend on whether they’ve had a chance to wash their hands yet.

Or just a reminder not to touch their face. Face-touchers. Gross.

russ repped this.
  14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Plastic?

So if you are an environmentalist that wants to get rid of single use plastics, do you say fvck it and wear the plastic gloves?

This is one thing that worries me when we re-open the economy, masks are a given, one time use plastic gloves may also become a thing, that is not good for mother earth.

15. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I was a history major. I had one 300 level course, US from WWI to WWII. I had a 200 level European history class WWI to the present. No mention of Spanish Flu in either.

It wasn't just high school textbooks that are lacking.

Deadtigers, sitruc, Auriaprottu and 3 others repped this.
  16. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    I had an eye dr. appointment the other day. When I got there I called them to let them know that I had arrived. When they were ready they called back and told me to come up. I knocked on the door, the receptionist answered and led me right to the exam room. Normally the waiting area is packed but there wasn't another soul there. Every employee was wearing a mask and gloves as was I.

Now when I went to the urgent care around March 10, I went in and there was nobody wearing masks and there wasn't even a separate "if you think you have COVID, stand over there" area. The doctor even tried to shake my hand and I'm like "Whoa! A fist bump is good, Doc" :confused:

Deadtigers, luftmensch and spejic repped this.
  17. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It probably included Dr Demento.

Except that would be an insult to Dr Demento.

chaski, Smurfquake and russ repped this.
  18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because if you have to go to a couple places,its a pain in the ass to keep yanking it on and off.
    Best to put it on as you leave the house and remove when you get back home.

19. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who is Steve Moore?

20. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    They are one-time use.

And you're right the amount of garbage this creates is troubling. OTOH before the single use plastic bag ban in NY state, I heard that they went through like 20 billion single use bags a year. Most end up in landfills. That's nuts.

21. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The current iteration of the GOP is worse than a cult.

GOP Leader Compared Stay-at-Home Orders to Nazism
    Colorado Gov. Jared Polis (D) “grew tearful as he responded Wednesday to a top Republican official comparing stay-at-home orders to the actions of the Gestapo, the secret police of Nazi Germany and European countries under Nazi occupation during World War II,” the Denver Post reports.

Said Polis: “As a Jewish American who lost family in the Holocaust, I’m offended by any comparison to Nazism. We act to save lives — the exact opposite of the slaughter of 6 million Jews and many gypsies and Catholics and gays and lesbians and Russians and so many others.”

usscouse, luftmensch, NORML and 3 others repped this.
  22. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The new press secretary....If we think Sarah Huckabee was bad.....

eigh McEnany
    ✔@PressSec

Under President @realDonaldTrump’s leadership we have quickly developed the most expansive and accurate testing system in the world.

usscouse and Deadtigers repped this.
  23. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    What are they testing, how much bullshit the American people will tolerate? Answer is coming in November.

usscouse, Deadtigers, sitruc and 3 others repped this.
  24. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Pretty sure I learned in high school that the flu that came after WWI killed more Americans than the war did. But I went to public school, not Exeter like you guys did.

usscouse and Deadtigers repped this.
  25. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    So, basically, this guy ...

[​IMG]