Covid-19: Vax Americana

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yoshou, Apr 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yep, I couldn't care less if they choose not to protect themselves. They only strengthen my work-from-home argument. :p I do feel bad for innocent kids who can't get vaccinated, but hopefully the vaccines will be available to younger and younger people soon.

I hear there are now people going door-to-door to encourage people to get vaccinated. Could you imagine a worse job? I mean the level of stupidity these poor soles must encounter on an average day must be off the charts.

They also risk getting a punch in the face.

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It wasn't Pfizer. There was a list of companies working on vaccines which I happened to come across and a lot were smaller companies. I was kind of looking at it in the context of Moderna. I learned about them and got in at under $20/share. Sadly it was not much, but still has made me a nice little pot.

3. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's apparently the way to do it - face to face interaction. Some are stuck in their anti-liberal mindset, but there are plenty who are hesitating and just need that in-person touch.

4. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, that looks interesting.

There have been a number of important advances during the past year, outside of the vaccine formulas. Both in alternative methods of delivery but also in terms of therapeutics.

I notice that report is from 2017, though. Did that not work out or was it thought better to work on the basis of giving people injections where you know the vaccine has been administered in a way that works? IOW it doesn't mean the patient maybe making a mistake in application.

5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I’d give it to you, but my Pfizer chip keeps making me delete it after I write it.

soccernutter and song219 repped this.
  6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    5bd5034a-e937-4ef9-9b31-39949092781f.jpg

song219, chaski, ElJefe and 5 others repped this.
  7. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    @Kazuma is exactly right. There's a Waldorf School in our area, and we know a handful of folks who send there kids there --- reasonable in almost every way, but then you get on the subject of vaccines and.......o_O

8. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    There's a construction guy up the street who's got a giant pickup truck loaded with compressors, jackhammers, massive tools, and whatnot. He's got a bumpersticker that reads, "Rudolph Steiner Made The World Think Again."

Ya just never know.

russ, Dr. Wankler and roby repped this.
  9. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    In my experience they won't call the cops on a POC, but they'll have other ways of keeping them out. They won't mind a POC if they're delivering mail or Amazon packages.

Though in the town I live in, a white woman did call the cops on a black guy claiming he was staring at her, but the backlash was strong that the cop who stopped him resigned.

10. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    coming soon to a street near you ....

Far side 1.jpg

song219, Bootsy Collins, russ and 5 others repped this.
  12. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    The funny thing is, I know a person who taught at a Waldorf school (She calls it the Steiner School but we're splitting hairs). Incredibly sharp, genuinely nice lady, just wonderful. I've never heard any anti-vaccine rants from her.

In my experience, the older generation of progressives (The original hippies and such) are quite reasonable. It's the younger generation, such as those born in the 70s and 80s that tend to be more deluded in some areas.

13. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Its still mainly the people on the right. Every poll I've seen show that people that tend to vote republican are about twice as likely to not want the vaccine or don't trust the safety of the vaccine compared to democrats.

Scoreboard
    COVID deaths: 3.25 million
    Vaccine deaths: 0

:coffee:

14. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I nearly caused an international incident at lunch when my old friend's "hippy-ish" wife started raving about antibiotics and after some increasingly incredulous comments I nearly said something about how great it was when Florence Nightingale had to cut men's limbs off because of gangrene, but luckily my girlfriend gave me a warning glance :ROFLMAO:

Generally the people who did too much pot and acid in the 90s have their hearts in a good place and are fine people, but there is a un-scientific streak a mile wide and they are inclined to believe in conspiracy theories about what "big business' is up to

15. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    There is an interesting discussion to be had here about the broader belief in conspiracy theories in western society. You've mentioned Vaxx, but there are also common beliefs in shadowy conspiracy theories involving rich elites, big business etc etc ... my mother goes so far as to claim that everything is being controlled by people from a particular city suburb... just in her version of the story, they are not liberal elites but rather 'extreme right wing" wealthy people

16. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I'm as pro vaccine as anyone but that post is heartless.

Vaccine deaths are triple digit around the world. Not 0.

17. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Belief in conspiracies are practically universal not just in western societies. I'm guessing a direct relationship can be determined between how powerless an individual feels and their proneness to belief in conspiracies.

18. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I remember 538 had a podcast on conspiracy theories and the most common ones historically, outside of Kennedy was the idea that rich elites control politics.

soccernutter repped this.
  19. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As mentioned, it's the younger generation that has this streak. And it's folks who are into countercultural type activities. I see a bit of this in rock climbing and yoga, for instance. My friend (Yoga instructor) that had Covid last year admitted that until she had Covid, she didn't believe in vaccines.

20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    In Minnesota, there was a guy on the co-rec volleyball team I played on: a mechanic who owned his own garage, voted republican about 9 times out of 10, had little patience for woo woo, but who swore by Rudolf Steiner's agricultural ideas ("biodynamics" IIRC), which might involve things like going into his garden at 3:00 a.m. to plant certain crops by the light of the full moon. I thought it was odd, but . . . damn fine tomatoes, carrots and basil, so who am I to judge.

ChrisSSBB and feyenoordsoccerfan repped this.
  21. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    there's been 2 deaths in Canada related to the AZ vaccine / blood clots.

22. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Some of that is rooted in truth though.

Money buys political influence.

23. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

crazypete13 and SamScouse repped this.
  24. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was a rather fascinating podcast as well.

25. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The conspiracies, as recall them talking about it, bordered on illuminati in ideology.