COVID-19: OhMyCronus!

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by argentine soccer fan, Nov 29, 2021.

1. Oh crap.
    They think to have figured out how it's possible covid infects brain cells, while these havenot got the spikes (ACE-2-receptors) covid uses to get in.
    They use the nano tubes between cells.
    https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abo0171
    upload_2022-7-21_2-11-0.png

upload_2022-7-21_2-8-18.png upload_2022-7-21_2-8-18.png upload_2022-7-21_2-11-0.png
    This is an ominous sentence in the article:
    "Our data highlight a previously unknown mechanism of SARS-CoV-2 spreading, likely used as a route to invade nonpermissive cells and potentiate infection in permissive cells."

It means you can't be careless about infection with Covid, as it has found a way to have impact on essential cells, your brain, while in theory it should be impossible to do just that.

2. The feckup part of it is that the "alternative route" evades immunity surveillance of the body.

3. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Damn, that’s a shame. Hoping she gets well and soon.

4. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    She threw up around 3hrs after we got up that Wednesday morning. Fever disappeared after that, but she complained of sores in her mouth and sore throat. Yesterday she developed croup, but still no fever, so that's weird. Only problematic when she's tired. Half the day you can't even tell she's sick. She's doing alright.

Thx.

Also, my wife is doing a hiking tour with a group in the Lake District, England. A lady in the group is apparently a hoity-toity epidemiologist. She told us to wait 3 months to get the 2nd shot. Getting the vaxx right after having a viral infection can lead to complications. I'm guessing this holds true for all/most vaccines?

5. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    #4705 usscouse, Jul 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2022
    Doing alright is good. Keep it up kiddo. :)

I used to do quite a few solo hikes in the lakes back in my misspent yute. I camped one weekend, swimming and diving off the same pier that Campbell used the next weekend when he was killed.
    Jealous of your wife there.

yeah, I know. It’s not all about me.

luftmensch repped this.
  6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Antivaxxers and election truthers are the stupid kids that had to repeat kindergarten:

Timon19 repped this.
  7. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    After avoiding covid for 2 and a half years it has entered my house. My elderly mother (she is 85, had TB when a child, 2/3 of a lung removed in her 20's and has chronic respiratory issues that cause her to occasionally cough blood tested positive a week ago. Subsequent tests continue to be positive. Her isolation should end today but I will wait until she tests negative (current requirements here say 7 days with no test required if symptoms gone). She has a chronic cough and apart from a mild fever on day 2 and a slightly increased cough she has shown no real discomfort. She feels pretty normal today. The anti virals she got were unused as the potential side effects were worse than what she felt. I've avoided infection so far. There is only the two of us here and we can divide the premises OK and wear masks in the common area. She has had two shots of AZ and two shots of Pfiser (as have I) with the last booster a month ago. To be honest if we didn't know she had a known exposure (she spent 6 hours in a car with her niece who tested positive the next day) we wouldn't even have bothered testing. The vaccines seem to have done their job so far.

usscouse, spejic, luftmensch and 5 others repped this.
  8. My best wishes to your mother. Mothers are important.

9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Thank you and yes I agree, mothers are very important. Fortunately she is feeling well. Still testing positive but the line was a bit paler today. I'm still negative but only going out for essentials at the moment.

ChrisSSBB, dapip, roby and 2 others repped this.
  10. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Just an update that today my mother tested negative. She got infected about a month after her last vaccine booster. The vaccines we have here aren't that effective in preventing infections of the Omicron Strains currently circulating but seem to do a good job of preventing serious illness. Some stats released from Victoria a few days ago are saying you are 90% more likely to die if unvaccinated.

Dr. Wankler, roby, Mike03 and 3 others repped this.
  11. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    That goes for Covid vaccines everywhere, except for maybe the crappy Chinese and Russian ones.

12. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Just had another look at the box of anti virals I got for my mother. Underneath the subsidised cost we pay ($48.50) it has the real cost in fine print. Turns out the real cost is $1101.20.

usscouse, rslfanboy, Dr. Wankler and 2 others repped this.
  13. Well, if this doesnot work as an incentive to avoid getting covid, you really are dumb.
    According to a research done by the Dutch Radboud university and published in the Lancet, 1 in 8 infected people suffer from long covid.
    That's a huge economic cost of this disease, apart from the impact on the lives of those concerned.

14. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll preface this by saying that I'm ridiculously grateful for the long, hard, excellent work done by the scientists and healthcare workers who have been person-ing the front lines, providing treatment and the research that makes the treatment possible. My wife is in her 9th day of her first covid infection and I'm just getting started. We are both doing well. My wife decided not to do paxlovid but I went ahead. I don't know whether it's the reason I'm recovering quickly but, based on anecdotes I've heard from others, that seems likely (my bro-in-law tested negative two days after he started paxlovid). In 2020 I couldn't have imagined completing a full leg-day workout--as I did today--on the third day of a covid infection. That said, don't bother drinking any whiskey (much less whisky) while you're on paxlovid, because it tastes like liquified aluminum mixed with rat piss. Small price to pay.

15. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Glad you're feeling better! Keep an eye out for the Paxlovid rebound.

bungadiri repped this.
  16. MattR

MattR Member+

Jun 14, 2003
    Reston
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, and yeah that's why my wife opted out.

xtomx and derek750 repped this.
  18. Val1

Val1 Member+

Arsenal
    Mar 12, 2004
    MD's Eastern Shore
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    How Covid changed us: Example 2,345.

I was out driving yesterday and out of the corner of my eye, I saw a sign that advertised Vaccination Bible School.

Made sense to me, it was a liberal church and all. It took me four or five beats for it to sink in that it was Vacation Bible School. Though I would be interested in the curriculum of a Vaccination Bible School.

feyenoordsoccerfan, roby and usscouse repped this.
  19. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    Now at 1.04 million US deaths.

Passing the total population of Djibouti with Eswatini (Swaziland) on deck.

20. KCFutbol

KCFutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 14, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1,067,549 as of 10:25 AM CDT.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some possible side effects for the moderna vaccine.

Men under 40.

22. Covid isolation impact.
    Grandma and granddad with time in covid became smaller and smaller in kids drawings of them.
    upload_2022-8-30_10-58-28.png
    Opa en oma steeds kleiner op kindertekeningen in coronatijd: 'Géén goed teken'

OnderzoekUit het oog, uit het hart. Tijdens de coronaperiode ontwikkelden kinderen in korte tijd een bijzonder negatieve kijk op ‘oude mensen’, blijkt uit nieuw onderzoek van kindertekeningen. Zelfs de emotionele afstand tot de meest nabije senioren in hun leven, opa en oma, nam toe.

Edwin van der Aa 30-08-22, 06:00 Laatste update: 07:35

Grandparents are getting smaller and smaller on children's drawings in corona time: 'Not a good sign'
    Research
    Out of sight, out of mind. During the corona period, children developed a particularly negative view of 'old people' in a short period of time, according to new research of children's drawings. Even the emotional distance to the closest seniors in their lives, grandparents, increased.
    Edwin van der Aa 30-08-22, 06:00 Last update: 07:35

23. derek750

derek750 Member+

Apr 16, 2007
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Supplementing the random Tweet...

From the American Heart Association:
    COVID-19 infection poses higher risk for myocarditis than vaccines

xtomx, KCFutbol and song219 repped this.
  24. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Well i guess it was bound to happen sooner or later, I tested positive today. So far not too bad, a bit achy and tired but that's about it.

InTheSun, soccernutter, usscouse and 4 others repped this.
  25. American Brummie

Jun 19, 2009
    There Be Dragons Here
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just remember you're vaccinated and if your symptoms get worse there are amazing antivirals. Go watch some garbage television and feel better soon.

Val1, Pønch and xtomx repped this.