Alert: Covid-19 and our favorite team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    soooo, where are we in this process? middle? on the downside? apparently the stock market seems to think we’re at the beginning of the end. I’m thinking we have another couple of weeks of SIP followed by a two month gradual easing of restrictions while monitoring key data (who knows, maybe even access to testing one day) such as new cases and deaths with a return to heightened restrictions if things start trending the wrong way again.

DotMPP and ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

3. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We're in California. Kommandant Newsom will do everything in his power to keep us locked up past the first Tuesday in November. That's been the plan all along.

Newsom has already announced, no NFL being played in California this fall. So believe him, if you don't believe me.

4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    sorry Don, I’m missing your point here. What’s your point?

5. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You're not smart enough to figure it out?

The models are lies. Deliberate falsehoods, as I told you before. That's why they won't open source them and show you the garbage-in inputs designed to derive garbage-out outputs.

6. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    There’s a big range of options between where we are now and packing Levi’s. I don’t believe for a second that was the plan all along. Makes no sense. The governor will make the rights calls based on the data, I believe.

markmcf8, SeaJayBee and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  7. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hundred bucks says we will still be in shelter-in-place in California come November unless somehow Trump forces Newsom's hand.

8. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    lol. Who’s being insulting now? I just disagree on your premise, there no great bamboozling of the public going on. Has greater emphasis been placed on saving lives now over impact to the economy? Yes. I happen to think these Newsom measures are the fastest track to rebooting the economy. SIP has proved to be our only real weapon to fight this. A piece meal approach was always going to be too confusing and ineffective and, likely to mean a longer spread cycle and slower return to normalcy.

9. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    I won’t bet on how the decisions are made but I will bet $100 bucks we won’t be on SIP in Nov. or August for that matter.

10. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Point taken. Apologize for the snark.

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Done.

12. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    I'm sorry Don, but earlier in this thread you were touting that there will be less deaths than H1N1 and then less deaths than a typical flu season and we should just ride it out. All because you quoted some papers and opinion pieces that had a model that predicted what you hoped would happen.

We are a long way from being done from deaths from Covid-19 in the US, we will have more in the next few months, we will have a second wave and we might even have a third wave so don't count those models out just yet.

SoccerMan94043, markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We still have fewer deaths than a typical flu season. And maybe still even fewer than H1N1. The coronavirus death figures are showing themselves to be curiously unreliable, as well.

1247682498185711616 is not a valid tweet id

14. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I thought we were all grown ups and could handle different points of view?

SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  15. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Show me any reliable source that's shows we have less than H1N1?

And remembered SIP drastically slowed the spread which is not done for the Flu so that is apples to oranges but we can let time tell.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  16. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    yea Don I agree. First sentence unnecessary. Remember to be polite making your salient points

17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I said "maybe." And I showed a reliable source for believing the COVID-19 death rate may be overstated. The White House briefing by Dr. Brix. COVID-19 recorded deaths include deaths whether or not caused by the virus.

As for flu deaths, the CDC says the death rate in a given year is estimated at 12,000 to 61,000.

https://www.health.com/condition/cold-flu-sinus/how-many-people-die-of-the-flu-every-year

Your apples-to-oranges deflection is disingenuous, because you accuse me of mis-predicting that ordinary flu deaths would likely outnumber coronavirus deaths. And yet my prediction in that regard is looking like it will be correct. The models are already predicting COVID-19 deaths at 60,000, within the range of an ordinary flu season, and the models keep getting lower for the coronavirus deaths.

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  19. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    But the Covid-19 model includes full SIP. What are the Flu season projections with SIP?

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  20. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    TyffaneeSue repped this.
  21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The flu projections include a vaccine in lieu of shelter-in-place. And still the flu is more deadly in a typical year.

22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'll be happy to oblige if I can get out of this jail cell. :)

ColinMcCarthy and Quakes05 repped this.
  23. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    Give it time. You already said 12 to 60K for the flu, not sure what you believe is typical but we can wait to see.

I have near heard of New York running out of PPE during the flu season and that is with normal hospital procedures still occurring. I've never heard of CA agreeing to buy 140 million masks a month in a typical flu season. So yeah, keep spreading that Covid-19 is no worse than the typical flu.

markmcf8 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    We've given the virus sufficient time for the models to reduce their death estimates from 2.2 million to 60,000. Yeah, I think if we give it time, those estimates will continue to decline precipitously.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes