Alert: Covid-19 and our favorite team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Mar 11, 2020.

1. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, let’s take it as given that some of the intelligence geeks told Trump that there was a chance of a pandemic. He might well have asked how high a chance? Are we talking 50%? Or more like 2% or 3%? Even they would not have had their undies in a bundle in November. The president is told all kinds of things that may or may not turn out to be important.

Late January when the first case was reported in Seattle, the medical folk in Seattle became alarmed. My wife’s company wanted to know if she had been in the SeaTac airport that week. She said, no, we took the train. (I went to Seattle with her that week.) Her firm said OK.

But even then, there was some level of alarm about it. By mid-February, the government should have started to freak out. So I’m happy to blame Trump for his lame response and very poor management of the ongoing crisis. However, I’m not going to knock him or his administration for not sounding the alarm before mid-February, and certainly not for raising the alarm in November.

There’s lots to be critical of without going back to November when only a few people were stressing about the possibility of a pandemic.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

Boysinblue and ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aw nuts!

Bummer.
    No MLS season.
    On the upside, Vako, Magnus, and Kashia are probably all out of here at the end of the “season.”

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

ColinMcCarthy repped this.
  4. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
    Boris leaving ICU.

:thumbsup:

Boysinblue and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  5. Quakes05

Quakes05 Member+

Oct 1, 2005
    birthplace of MLS
  6. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #1982 Earthshaker, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    What's weird is that the stores have been empty of eggs and there was a big rush on dairy products as well. I guess it isn't easy to change where your product is headed. Government should be buying it up and sending it to food banks (if they have they have refrigeration).
    (My mom grew up on a Wisconsin dairy farm, and I believe I still have relatives there dairy farming)

markmcf8 repped this.
  7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Lines are miles long at food banks. Even with Bezos donating $100 million (did he even miss it?) there are lots of hungry people out there. I am grateful for our local farm CSA and for Whole Foods continuing to deliver -> more money for Jeff to donate.

Since the Passover seder plate traditionally includes an egg, my daughter quickly whipped up one using a rag. It's going to be a sad Easter Sunday for lots of kids though.

bsman and markmcf8 repped this.
  8. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Earthshaker repped this.
  9. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We have 5 chickens that lay 2-3 eggs per day between them, so, fortunately, access to eggs has not been an issue. We had ordered 10 more chicks a month or so ago through a 4H group that we were to pick up last week at our feed store, but, the pick up day was canceled due to the SIP.

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If there'll end up being no eggs for the kids for this coming Sunday's Western Easter, perhaps the eggs will arrive in time for the following Sunday's Orthodox Easter. :)

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :cool:

-G

11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Apparently there has been a run on baby chicks, along with excess demand for seeds, as we all hurry to become self-sufficient.

12. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The article says they can't convert the packaging to sell to supermarkets. not sure re food banks but I imagine something similar

13. ColinMcCarthy

ColinMcCarthy Member+

Apr 2, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Here is why I am wondering about "no sports until November" proclamations:

"Dr. Anthony Fauci, head of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told CBS News Thursday that he could envision a return to public gatherings and celebrations this summer “if we do the things that we need to do to prevent the resurgence” of the virus."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/dire-e...rus-restrictions-11586459653?mod=hp_lead_pos1

Antonio2020 and Earthshaker repped this.
  14. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    This will be interesting. Does having a season of only two games count as a year on their contract. I'm sure MLS will look to not pay their players 100% for only a few games.

15. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key here is “IF we do the things that we NEED to do to prevent the resurgence” of the virus. The problem with that is that we aren’t doing those things now. There are still several states with no SIP laws. There are no domestic travel bans, we’re insanely far behind on testing so we don’t really know how many people have contracted the virus. There’s a whole $hitstorm of bad news just waiting to break. There’s no chance that we’re going to do the things that we Need To Do.”

And because our approach is piecemeal, rather than a coordinated national strategy, we’re going to see continuing ripples of outbreaks in various states, and then people from those states will travel and re-infect other states. This is going to suck for months.

Sorry, but that’s the way it is.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

Antonio2020 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  16. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who knows? I imagine that all of the players are getting paid. They have contracts that specify weekly payments, whether they play or not. I don’t see how MLS can wriggle out of this, and they’d look like real scumbags if they did. But then, this is MLS and they don’t seem to mind looking like real scumbags.

Go Quakesfans!!
    Go MLS players!!
    & coaches, and equipment people, and everyone else employed by the league!

- Mark

17. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    My daughter actually bought individually wrapped rolls that were obviously being sold to hotels. Maybe a source to check is restaurant supply companies. They are not selling them right now to businesses.

18. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As someone who has regularly read, and sometimes subscribed to, The Atlantic for over four decades, since high school (the magazine started publishing at about the same time people started taking temperature readings), it has declined markedly in quality over the years.

In this case, the headline is more important than the dissembling that follows. The only important point is that the COVID-19 models are inaccurate -- wildly so. Why is that the important takeaway? Because these models (maybe unlike the models you work on) absolutely need to be reasonably accurate because -- get this -- grave public policy decisions are being based on these models.

Not only are we shutting down our economy to such a degree that we have unemployment at rates beyond the Great Depression, with the real world suffering that entails (especially among the poor and minorities), but we are preventing cancer patients from getting treatment (I have anecdotal information that a Quakes fan you happen to know personally has had her treatment delayed) to keep the hospitals clear for coronavirus patients. And, I know this does not bother most of you, but we are also infringing the constitutional rights of 40 million Californians right now and "until further notice" based on these inaccurate models.

And, I repeat, social distancing has not caused the models to be inaccurate, because social distancing was already baked into the cake.

1248255240933179393 is not a valid tweet id

19. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    From MediaBias fact check (https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/the-federalist/)

"The Federalist is a news and opinion website that reports with a right wing bias that typically favors the right and denigrates the left...On March 26th, 2020 Twitter locked the site’s account for violating its rules against spreading misinformation about the coronavirus."

Sean Davis cofounded the Federalist. I see no reason why anyone should consider Sean an objective observer, and I'd rather not see any more of his quotes. Can we stick to science and data?

SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  20. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #1996 don gagliardi, Apr 9, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
    What's wrong with the factual assertion Sean Davis is making? Nothing he says has been refuted. Indeed, everyone is conceding the IMHE model is inaccurate (including Phil Bump of the Washington Post in the tweet to which Davis replies). And the fact that it assumes social distancing is stated in the model itself. I previously posted the IMHE link and I referred everyone to the top line of the model, which expressly says it assumes social distancing.

Right-wing or not, Sean Davis is correct in this instance. The scientific models are not. In other words, the "science and data" were shit. And you want to banish the person who has the temerity to say so.

Play the ball, not the player. And act like a moderator, not a partisan.

21. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  22. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So, let's recap. When the IMHE model wildly overestimates the scourge of the virus, you cannot salvage the IMHE model by pointing to steps taken to combat the virus because the model expressly "assum[es] fully social distancing."

Phil Bump's assertion to the contrary is either abjectly stupid or outright dishonest. And Sean Davis is absolutely correct to say so.

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    And then there's the guy with the faulty model in Britain. Hiding his "science and data" because his projections of 2 million dead in the U.S. last month is so far beyond the current estimate of 60,000 (which may still be over-stated).

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes