Alert: Covid-19 and our favorite team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Mar 11, 2020.

1. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #1251 falvo, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Not sure what all the red, orange and white symbols stand for but this model picture of the Coronavirus is really ugly.....

[​IMG]

2. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Federal Government are supposed to ship drugs, ventilators, PPE, and all manner of help to the states. The fact that they aren't and that they are playing favorites with which states they help is bullshit.

Go Quakesfans!!

- Mark

mjlee22, TyffaneeSue and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  3. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  5. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    If you are thinking of a pyramid structure with city governments at the lowest base, then counties, then states, and then the federal government on the top with the highest authority...well, that is not how the government of the United States is actually structured.

One of the genius moves of the framers of the constitution is they spread around authority as much as possible. States are the highest authority in many, many issues. The federal government only has authority over a limited sphere of issues, things that the states cannot do by themselves. Namely national defense, interstate commerce, foreign relations, to create a common currency and a limited number of others.

The tenth amendment clearly states:
    “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.”

Wikipedia has a good short article.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_federalism

DotMPP repped this.
  6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Don't be quoting the Constitution during a crisis. "Punish the Innocent" -- "until further notice." :)

7. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    Yeah, from the things I've read holding out hope for a vaccine. It is going to be a long wait. At this point, effective treatment is the much shorter term medical intervention that is going to make a difference to all of us.

markmcf8 repped this.
  8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nope, if you actually read the article, they note it was a miscommunication propagated by the right: the state was only trying to make sure drugs were not hoarded or used inappropriately. Treating Covid patients is an appropriate use (if done under supervision).

It is scandalous that the leader of this country refuses to distribute essential supplies to states whose governors he doesn't like. That is fascism. Sending Florida more than they request while giving other states -- especially New York -- only 10% of their requirement -- not only fascism but premeditated murder. From the guy at the top. How anyone supports that, I cannot and will never understand.

SeaJayBee, markmcf8, mjlee22 and 2 others repped this.
  9. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    LOL. And you know this because...you read it on a left wing website!

Do I need to pull up the documents?

"Prescribing hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine without further proof of efficacy for treating COVID-19 or with the intent to stockpile the drug may create a shortage for patients with lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, or other ailments for which chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine are proven treatments. Reports of this conduct will be evaluated and may be further investigated for administrative action. Prescribing any kind of prescription must also be associated with medical documentation showing proof of the medical necessity and medical condition for which the patient is being treated. Again, these are drugs that have not been proven scientifically or medically to treat COVID-19."

From this right wing website:
    https://www.michigan.gov/documents/...cribing_and_Dispensing_3-24-2020_684869_7.pdf

Read it quickly, I'm sure it will be pulled down the memory hole before the night is over.

10. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    And I've yet to hear an explanation of how prescription drugs are 'hoarded'.

I guess when you go to Costco and ask for the Family Pak of Chloroquine you just slip the pharmacist a $20 on the side and load up the Outback right next to all that Charmin!

11. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There's this gem in there, as well: It is also important to be mindful that licensed health professionals are required to report inappropriate prescribing practices.

In other words, medical personnel are required in Michigan to rat on each other while trying to muddle through a medical crisis Soon, kids will be required to rat on their parents who walk their dogs in the park. Hard to think of anything more Stalinist, except of course punishing the innocent.

Oh_Teddy_Teddy repped this.
  12. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So, the people that have somehow contracted the virus are guilty of something? Maybe it was one of the asymptomatic "innocent" that infected them? :)

13. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The reference to punishing the innocent was a flashback to 2013. And, yes, the Ultras are always to blame. :)

14. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Doesn't stand for anything, (except death, maybe) that's what the virus looks like under a microscope.:rolleyes:
    It's called a "corona" virus because of its resemblance to a crown.

15. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I knew what you were talking about, The whole collective punishment thing. Props for keeping it Quakes related.:thumbsup:

16. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh_Teddy_Teddy, bsman and don gagliardi repped this.
  17. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You skipped the most important sentence, the first one, that explains the purpose of the document:
    "The Department of Licensing and Regulatory Affairs has received multiple allegations of Michigan physicians inappropriately prescribing hydroxychloroquine or chloroquine to themselves, family, friends, and/or coworkers without a legitimate medical purpose."

I emphasized the key words

As for hoarding medicine -- maybe you don't know many doctors! Usually, though, they are only storing samples from the pharma reps.

markmcf8 and vjle repped this.
  18. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    And they go on to say that it was not legitimate to prescribe it for COVID-19.

And will penalize doctors if they do.

19. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    At the time that the document was published, a week ago, that was the case. The FDA had not given that protocol the green light. The state was trying to align itself with the federal authority.

Could that sentence have been worded better? For sure, but I'm guessing the document was hastily drafted to try to stop the hoarding that was threatening the drug supply for lupus and arthritis patients.

Do you apply this same level of analysis to the daily coronavirus briefings? I trust that you are similarly shocked at the lies and disregard for life on display every day!

markmcf8 repped this.
  20. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    You have presented no evidence of hoarding or even how that would be possible.

So now the story on the left wing sites is that the document was hastily written and poorly worded....hmmm

When the s... hit the fan when this document came out did the Governor correct the record? NO. Why? Maybe because it said exactly what she wanted it to say? Possible? Likely?

I highly doubt THIS explanation will stand up to scrutiny any more than your previous ones.

21. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there are a small % of people who hoard stuff because it makes them feel safe.

E.g. my sister just told me about her friend, who has 15 plastic bins of food and supplies that she has stockpiled in her living room, including 200 rolls of toilet paper. This woman runs a small tech company in SF and is otherwise not deranged.

no wonder I can't find any TP...

ColinMcCarthy and markmcf8 repped this.
  22. due time

due time Member+

Mar 1, 1999
    Santa Clara
    I heard the President shut down travel to China early on and get crucified in media for it.

I heard the President sound optimistic about a potential treatment and get accused of being overly optimistic instead of investigating the efficacy.

I've seen the President and Vice President working with CEOs of companies who produce the drug and arranging for 1.3 Million doses to be distributed and production increased while the media and you claim he didn't know what he was talking about and just causing harm by causing that elusive 'hoarding'.

I'm not claiming he's perfect and there are times when he says inappropriate things. But I do see that on the whole his ACTIONS are the right ones. And all the while he has to battle with a media that spends it's time playing 'gotcha' instead of asking intelligent questions that would help us citizens figure out what is going on.

And I've seen Governors take ACTIONS that harmful to people seeking treatment and that same media either defend it or ignore it.

Those media reports then get repeated verbatim here as fact because people take them at face value instead of doing some critical thinking and searching for truth on their own.

In normal times, the political BS is annoying, but expected. These are not normal times.

23. Earthshaker

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the media's job to call out politicians when they lie and mislead. In some countries there are journalists who end up dying because they try to hold their leaders accountable. Is that the kind of country you want to live in? How are they "gotcha' questions when they are taking verbatim quotes from the president and asking him to explain them? How about Trump just cut out his bullshitting, grandstanding, and playing the blame game, and show some real leadership?

24. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Er, doctors have cabinets where they can hoard medicine. Just like some people hoard toilet paper, except medicine takes up less space.

You give me way too much power. I don't know what "left wing <sic>" sites say. I don't read them. I read the daily briefings and medical/scientific, including sources like Stat News. I suppose, to some minds, any material that provides facts is suspect and "liberal" -- as ignorance is an even worse epidemic than Covid-19 in this country. But truth is not political.

Fact: the president waited until 45 other countries had shut down travel to China before taking that action. Too late. By that time it had spread.

Fact: The president still refuses to do what ever other first world country has done: issue a stay home/shelter in place order. Apart from all the other squabbling over resource allocation -- a colossal mismanagement issue that could have been avoided -- remains that stark fact.

From today's briefing: Asked if he knew how severe this problem could get back when he was falsely claiming the virus was under control, Trump said, "I thought it could be. I knew everything. I knew it could be horrible. And I knew it could be maybe good." Let's not forget that three weeks ago he was claiming it would all just go away.

Can't understand how that kind of performance inspires confidence in anyone!

markmcf8 and SoccerMan94043 repped this.
  25. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    It is becoming very clear that the US will probably have the highest deaths per capita of any modern country. I'll spend some time tomorrow to look at World populations to see how we are doing. China, might be worse since their number of deaths is a lie and maybe the same for Iran but I'll check out the numbers for the other modern countries but 100K will probably put us as an unfortunate winner.

I find it very sad to claim any sort of passing grade when your Country is the worst performer.

TyffaneeSue, mjlee22 and Earthshaker repped this.