Alert: Covid-19 and our favorite team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tell us, who is "concerned"? He's yesterday's news. He was the headlines for a day or two because,
    A) he was a former presidential candidate,
    B) he was a Trump supporter,
    C) he downplayed the virus and mask wearing,
    D) went to Trump's Tulsa rally where did not social distance or mask wear
    E) 9 days later was diagnosed with the virus, and
    F) he subsequently died because of it.

And you can't understand why this was newsworthy for awhile?

Here, I will make it simple for you.
    [​IMG]

markmcf8, Quakes05 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3502 falvo, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    Who mentioned or posted anything about Trump and why is it always about him?

I don’t care about either candidate but even though I didn’t initially post about him, I think his passing was sad. It seems to me though that there are a lot of posts about Cain dying..I mean why post about someone whom everyone hated so much and who cares?

If he is as hated as is perceived in the thread , there should be celebrations about his passing and eversione who hated him should be happy he is gone.

3. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3503 falvo, Aug 5, 2020
    Sadly , the American government made pacts with Italian -American mafiosi and strengthened organized crime in North America and pretty much decriminalized the mafia. Crooked politicians , heads of state and captains of corporations are all one in the same and there is no difference.

Forgetting about Mussolini’s Italy (a time when no one on this board can even bring theirselves to even dream about) , aren’t we lucky to be living in the greatest country on earth? At least in comparison to other nations....

4. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Assuming you're living in the same country I'm living in...I wouldn't call it great, much less greatest. Residents of first world countries pity us. Who would have guessed we'd fall so far, so fast?

I'm eligible to apply for German citizenship -- apparently it's an increasingly popular option these days -- and as ironic as it feels, it's tempting. Might as well send the Statue of Liberty back to France while we're at it.

DotMPP repped this.
  6. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Before I moved to Europe 20 years ago to live and work, I thought exactly the same way.

After living in Italy , commuting to the South of France spending some time in Germany for work and play, it was overrated and I couldn't wait to come back.

It was beautiful and all but in the end, the grass isn't always greener on the other side of the fence.

The level soccer was a lot better to watch and that was a positive.

7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, it's not exactly the same. My grandparents had visas to come to the United States, but they would have had to start over. They had businesses, a beautiful house, a large extended family, assets. But they waited too long, the Nazis confiscated the businesses and the assets, the house was destroyed, and my grandparents sent to Poland to be killed.

Of course we love our homes and California is in many ways idyllic, but at some point it may become a life or death decision, and the less appealing choice might be the only one that makes sense. Soccer or no soccer.

DotMPP, mjlee22, Quakes05 and 1 other person repped this.
  8. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3508 falvo, Aug 5, 2020
    The Nazis took over my grandfathers office in Rome and he was without a job because of it. That’s why they immigrated first to NYC , then to SF Bay....my father in southern Italy was adopted by his uncle and aunt who lived in San Jose and he met and married my mom in 1960..

The Santa Clara Valley was a great place to live In the 50’s & 60’s.

You are right as it’s not the same place but Europe isn’t all rosy either, Depending on where and how your lifestyle is, you could live comfortably with an American income and/or salary. If you were to live in the countryside or outside a city center and build an American style house, you may like it.

USD income will go farther there than it would here. If you don’t mind stores closing half a day , banks open until 1pm and then again from 3:45-4:45, stores closing on Sunday, eating dinner at 10pm, taking three weeks off at Xmas , the entire month of August off , getting kicked out of a store that closes at 6pm , and no grocery shopping on Sunday, you may like it...

9. Antonio2020

Antonio2020 Member

Nov 28, 2016
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I remember thinking when the lockdowns began in late February/early March "Whew! I'm SO glad we booked our trip to Hawaii in mid-August instead of Spring Break." Alas, here we are, with no end to this sorry way of life in site...:mad:

markmcf8, Smurfquake and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  10. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
    This year, I relocated the family to AZ and hence won't be a STH anymore. The Covid-19 feeling here is a lot different. A lot of people just do what they have always done and think it is political plot, while others wear masks for the bare minimum time. In the end it seems like people need to believe it is a hoax or need to believe it is not so bad because they simply cannot process the reality of limited social interaction and just need to believe in something more practical.

mjlee22 and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  11. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Seems like everything is political.

Bring it back Europe , soccer (sports in general) and politics go hand in hand.

12. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

falvo repped this.
  13. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Great picture!

Bruno Conti & Sandro Pertini a WW2 Partisan who became president on the plane coming back after they beat West Germany in the 1982 World Cup Final!

After Italy scored their third goal, he wagged his finger to both the Spanish and German heads of state bragging.

I had a crush on the Croatian president in 2018..

[​IMG]

14. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  15. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Announcement soon, like in 30-60 days?

Spoiler alert: it's not happening, at least not here.

bsman repped this.
  16. tvromero

tvromero Member

Jun 2, 2018
  17. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Not if they want to see their families or anyone else -- unless those people come into the bubble too. Super expensive to feed/house 100 athletes, spouses, kids, and will there be much revenue offsetting that?

I have been having a lot of Covid dreams. Last night, I was out for a walk with my family when I realized I didn't have a mask. A man up ahead of us flashed me a signal, and I realized he was suggesting we avoid getting into the middle of a violent confrontation between police officers and POC. Because nothing says 2020 like no soccer, masks, and African-Americans getting brutalized by cops.

mjlee22 repped this.
  18. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like some of the conspiracy kook's theories is coming true... zombies are coming to get us (-3 deaths in Sweden):

[​IMG]

19. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I'm not worried. Swedish zombies are slow, ponderous and brooding. They spend hours mumbling over a cup of coffee while the smoke from a cigarette in an ashtray rises into the somber sky...

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  20. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or are they...........................?:D
    [​IMG]

21. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The Covenant of the Covid, a new movie by Ingmar Bergman, because in 2020, dead directors can write screenplays too.

markmcf8 and bsman repped this.
  22. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey guys, should I watch “Contagion”, or would it leave me super-depressed? I read an article recently about how close it is to reality... Maybe it has a happier ending?

24. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely happier :)

SeaJayBee repped this.
  25. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator