Alert: Covid-19 and our favorite team

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by TyffaneeSue, Mar 11, 2020.

1. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I have now put you on ignore. That is the only time in my 20 years on BS that I have ever done so. Congratulations, son!

2. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3477 falvo, Aug 4, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    That's great! Thank you!

3. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This is day 146 of SIP for my family. This pandemic is getting really old, and it's especially galling to realize that if most people had been as careful as many of us have been, we would have been back to almost-normal in June. And here we are, a summer like the summer of 1816 (the "year without a summer") unable to travel or go to soccer games or even go out to eat without extensive preparation.

I don't think we will see any progress until/unless Fox jumps on board with the mask wearing/social distancing messages. The 40% of this country who insist that the president is doing a bang-up job (so does he! watch the Axios interview) need to be fed some new propaganda. Our society is only as smart as our lamest covidiot.

mjlee22, Antonio2020, SeaJayBee and 3 others repped this.
  4. FUAEG

FUAEG Member+

Oct 18, 2005
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

mjlee22, Quakes05, TyffaneeSue and 2 others repped this.
  5. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It's like Dylan Thomas wrote the obit:

""Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
    Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
    Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
    Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light."

Earthshaker repped this.
  6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    SeaJayBee, Quakes05, bsman and 1 other person repped this.
  7. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Since Paulo Dybala was mentioned earlier in this thread -- he was very sick with Covid in March, and reading his story motivated my oldest son to take this disease seriously. Apparently Paulo tested positive for many weeks. Fortunately for him, he seems to have recovered but I recently read a German study that evaluated young seemingly healthy Covid survivors and found significant cardiac damage in many -- the kind of damage you normally see after a heart attack.

This disease is insidious and there is so much we do not know. Sure, half the people infected have no symptoms, but those are not great odds. I'm not willing to roll that dice.

bsman and jeff_adams repped this.
  8. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Meanwhile, Georgia high schools are back in session. Should go well

IMG_0820.JPG

9. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And we already know how that's going to go in Atlanta:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/04/world/middleeast/coronavirus-israel-schools-reopen.html

TyffaneeSue repped this.
  10. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Particularly poignant was the letter from the 60-ish kindergarten teacher who died. And who said little kids aren't contagious?

11. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. NedZ

NedZ Member+

May 19, 2001
    Los Gatos
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

13. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    This edited excerpt makes it all clear. Too clear.
    1290867644263014400 is not a valid tweet id

SoccerMan94043 and Quakes05 repped this.
  14. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    #3489 bsman, Aug 5, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    "Nobody knows less than me about the China Virus"...

I have listened to portions of the interview and determined that it would be useful as evidence in a hearing for involuntary commitment to an institution...

TyffaneeSue, Earthshaker and Quakes05 repped this.
  15. Tifoso

Tifoso Moderator
    Staff Member

Juventus
    Italy
    Feb 24, 2007
    northern California
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Thanks for the explanation. It’s still calling one side’s candidate a Mussolini.
    It would be the same if someone called Biden a hair plugged Stalin

16. bsman

bsman Member+

May 30, 2001
    MadCity
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Biden's been called worse by Der Pumpkinfuhrer and his lackeys...

DotMPP, Earthshaker and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  17. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3492 falvo, Aug 5, 2020
    Also makes you wonder on why there is so much backlash and/or "caring/concern" about Herman Cain's passing. I never heard or read this much about him when he was alive and now that he died, its all I read about online. How sad that someone has to die to be recognized.

I hope he gets to now rests in peace in the glory of the Lord! RIP!

18. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    LMAO, if Heaven was real, there’s a zero percent chance Cain would end up there, he sexually assaulted multiple women.

DotMPP and TyffaneeSue repped this.
  19. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Therefore, by this reasoning, its even more surprising that there is so much "concern" over his passing.

20. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    As someone who has a history -- as I know many of you do -- of relatives murdered under fascist regimes, I don't use that f-word lightly. But, by the same token, I've spent my whole life on the lookout for potential fascists, hoping I would have the wherewithal to escape a fascist government before it was too late. (Oh well! I didn't foresee the pandemic.)

I didn't expect great things from a failed business owner turned reality show host as president. But I also never anticipated that he'd pick up where the tyrants of the 1940s left off. Stupefying Stalin or Hefty Hitler might work as a nickname, but Mango Mussolini both describes his color and his political leanings, so it has stuck. I don't doubt that the original would have considered him a worthy successor, even if MM hasn't killed quite as many people...yet.

DotMPP repped this.
  21. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3496 falvo, Aug 5, 2020
    Actually Mussolini gave the Vatican orders to save a lot of Jews just before the Raid of the Rome Ghetto. Some in the Church closed their eyes to what was going on but at the same time, other members of the Catholic Church provided assistance to Jews and helped them survive the Holocaust in Italy and getting deported to concentration camps.

My uncle and his family was an Italian Jew and they were saved by priests who hid them otherwise they will have been sent to Auschwitz.

22. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    So, Mussolini not such a bad guy after all? All those hundreds of thousands murdered, including every Italian Jew he could get his hands on? I'm glad to hear a few were spared. And in any case, this isn't about religion -- it's about fascism. This time, the first round of targets are the poor, immigrants, and POC. Does that somehow make it better for those of us who aren't on the firing line?

23. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    #3498 falvo, Aug 5, 2020
    Mussolini saw that the church was a tool he could use to his advantage as the people didn't want to lose their religion. Sadly, although there are mostly horror stories about WW2, so many different things went on during that time that none of us today would even dream about what went on back then.

Some good did come out of it though. At least for my uncle and his descendants, they lived on because they were protected. Otherwise they will have all perished in Auschwitz.

Sad to see that even today the Jewish Ghetto in Rome have armed guards with machine guns on alert.

24. Golazo69

Golazo69 Member+

Aug 2, 2017
    Who is concerned? He lived as a pervert and died as an idiot.

25. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pumpkin Pol Pot or Pomegranate Pinochet. Carrot Caligula. Tangerine Tito. Having trouble finding more shades of orange to go with Franco, Che Guevara, Duvalier, etc.

I don't understand why mentioning the name Mussolini is somehow off-limits. It's a historical fact that he was a fascist leader of Italy who led his country from being a world power, into a war they couldn't win, and damaged the future of his country. You don't try to erase history, you remember it and learn from it, and where appropriate, say "never again". As an American, I will be forced to acknowledge that Trump was elected President, despite his obvious criminal behavior - all the safeguards built in to our system to stop a terrible person from gaining power, were bypassed, and the damage he and his party are doing to my country are something that we have to address. For the rest of my life, when people say "Trump", I'm going to hang my head, remember how we got here, and do whatever I can to make sure it doesn't happen again. What I'm not going to do is pretend that he didn't happen.