COVID-19 and coaching

Discussion in 'Coach' started by elessar78, Jun 27, 2020.

1. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    Saw on twitter last week there was a tourney in AZ with 500 teams, 450 of them from out of state. Just baffling. College coaches in attendance to take the virus back to their towns too...

2. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    When community spread is low I'm all for playing, but this takes it to the extreme. Playing soccer vs traveling to a mega tournament are two totally different things. You can play soccer locally. I'll wager that 95% of these teams can get the same competitive challenge within 20-mile radius of their home field. It's irresponsible.

But what else is new. What I've realized over the past few months is that if they like it or want to do it, people will rationalize why it is okay to do so.

Again, probably PROBABLY won't happen on the field. But with everything else involved: hotel, meals, car pools, etc.

The old and infirmed plea, wasn't effective. So people need to consider the healthcare workers in all this.

3. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CoachP365 repped this.
  4. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Healthcare workers in AZ should go on strike in protest. They are bearing the brunt of this.

5. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Checking in. Any reports of COVID transmission during indoor soccer in your neck of the woods? None here, although they shut things down in early December and just reopened indoor sports.Cases spiked dramatically here. Cases and hospitalizations coming down from the post Thanksgiving and Christmas spike. New Year’s Eve cases still sorting themselves out, but downward trend.

6. rca2

rca2 Member+

Nov 25, 2005
    Last week new cases spiked 43% in AZ. Too many people here think refusing to take mitigation efforts is a political statement in support of Trump. Meanwhile I see no evidence of vaccination among doctors and nurses treating patients in my county. The transmission is so massive that nobody will be able to track it with any certainty.

I have on average 4 appointments a week, and none of the people treating me have had even their first shot. I expect that officials are still trying to vaccinate the workers in the hospital Covid wards. Not a good sign. I trust that Biden will improve things.

7. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I don't know of any cases from soccer. I think adults indoor were only shut down for a week. I think they're starting kids back up this month.

8. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    There is no indoor soccer here this winter. The club has added a bunch of outdoor winter clinics

elessar78 repped this.
  9. stphnsn

stphnsn Member+

Jan 30, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I intended to do outdoor training with my 19Us as weather allowed over the winter, but I'm not risking that until and unless our Covid numbers go down significantly around here. We're on a red/orange/yellow rating system in Indiana, and my county and the surrounding counties where my players come from are all either red or borderline red.

elessar78 repped this.