Covid-19: American Acceptionalism

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Yoshou, Jul 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
?

Name the thread!

Poll closed Jul 28, 2020.
  1. Covid-19: American Acceptionalism

22 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. My Covid-19th Nervous Breakdown

8 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Covid-19: Killing in the Name

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Covid-19: But my Freedom!

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  5. Covid-19: The Final Thread. This tie for sure

3 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Mormons had a show on TLC.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I have wondered if there could be a bit more common sense about some of the mask rules. For instance Hamburg brought out mask mandates for some key parks, playgrounds and the waterfront at peak times. The germans do love to promenade, or hit the playground with their kids and spend the next 2hours talking to people with minimal distancing which of course isn't safe.

But this leads to silly situations. e.g I can't jog with a mask, so i have to run on weekdays, or before 10am on the weekend. But on a bad weather day - the park is literally empty even in the weekend, whereas on a weekday, in good weather, there can be a lot of people after work. So it would be nice if you could exercise some personal judgement, but i get why they don't do that

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    The hotel-stay requirement, even for vaccinated people entering Canada, is a pretty big disincentive on its own. Anyone willing to go through that nonsense isn't going to be listening to a gentle CDC recommendation.

4. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    on a personal level I'm doing fine James thanks for asking). I got Pfizer'd last week and had zero side effects (not even a sore arm - maybe he missed and was too embarrassed to tell me?). 2nd jab appointment is 4 months from now.

what's scary now in ON is (a) the number of outbreaks in schools and (b) the fact that many many more people in the 30-50 age range are getting hit - and when they get hit they get it hard, and they get hit fast. it really is a death race between variants becoming out of control, and the speed of vaccinations.

I heard one doctor saying that the UK and Brazil variants are so unlike the original strain they are more like new virus altogether. I hope we don't end up having a Covid-21 thread one day !

charlie15, crazypete13 and soccernutter repped this.
  5. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    Have you seen the US government’s recommended food intake/pyramid?

upload_2021-4-8_7-10-22.png

Sure, just keep eating all that bread and pasta, and don’t forget to chase it down with a nice soda or three...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesity_in_the_United_States

yeah, sure....they tell us to eat healthy. They don’t want us healthy, there is too much money in unhealthy...

6. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    The Irish or any other colonialised people could tell you that.

7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    KONSPIRACY!

8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Also, don't worry too much. Although Canada is in unchartered waters right now, if we apply what we've seen over the past 12 months in other northern locations to the situation in Canada now, its fairly safe to assume that the # of cases will start declining soon.

9. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Well, it actually was, going back decades

50 Years Ago, Sugar Industry Quietly Paid Scientists To Point Blame At Fat : The Two-Way : NPR

In the 1960s, the sugar industry funded research that downplayed the risks of sugar and highlighted the hazards of fat, according to a newly published article in JAMA Internal Medicine.

The article draws on internal documents to show that an industry group called the Sugar Research Foundation wanted to "refute" concerns about sugar's possible role in heart disease. The SRF then sponsored research by Harvard scientists that did just that. The result was published in the New England Journal of Medicine in 1967, with no disclosure of the sugar industry funding.

The sugar-funded project in question was a literature review, examining a variety of studies and experiments. It suggested there were major problems with all the studies that implicated sugar, and concluded that cutting fat out of American diets was the best way to address coronary heart disease.​

Food Industry Lobbying and U.S. 2015 Dietary Guidelines | Time

The guidelines are issued by the U.S. Departments of Agriculture (USDA)—the agency in charge of strengthening America’s farming, food and agriculture industries—and Health and Human Services (HHS). USDA and HHS base the final guidelines at least in part on a report from the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, which is made up of experts in the fields of health and nutrition. The Advisory Committee bases its recommendations on thousands of pages of published research, and their report is open to public comment.

But while the final guidelines carry forward some of the recommendations outlined in the Advisory Committee’s report (which can be read here), they also deviate substantively from them.

Some experts contend the discrepancies between the two documents are, at least in part, the result of industry influence. “The current system opens the guidelines up to lobbying and manipulation of data,” says Dr. Walter Willett, chair of the Department of Nutrition at Harvard School of Public Health, when asked why the Advisory Committee’s report is subject to changes from USDA and HHS. “The USDA’s primary stakeholders are major food producers and manufacturers,” he adds.​

To an extent, anyway. After the food pyramid, I can see where skepticism regarding government recommendations might be coming from.

10. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Oh I agree about that. No different to climate change or the tobacco lobby, But that is not a conspiracy theory - it is well documented.

But that is not the same as these "shadowy experts" who never tell you not to eat healthy.

In reality if you ate the food pyramid and did recommended daily exercise you would be fine.

Especially the pyramid does not say to wash everything down with 2-3 sodas. That is my problem with the poster's straw man arguments.

The typical citizen eats way too much pre-processed crap, instead of cooking from basics, and this is why they will be way over their sugar intake for example.

But again the "experts" do not say "eat TV dinner out of a box washed down with 1.5l of coca cola"

11. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    It is the definition of "conspiracy".

Or "KONSPIRACY!" if you prefer. Conspiracies exist everywhere at various levels. A conspiracy and a "conspiracy theory" are different things.

The first is a definition of actions (often nefarious) taken by a group toward realizing some goal (often nefarious).

The second is a pejorative term meant to dismiss someone who may or may not be correctly attempting to explain something by making an accusation of a conspiracy.

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Is the food pyramid on anyone's radar these days, though? I recall seeing it everywhere in the 1980s, but not so much anymore. Also, there would only be one fat kid per classroom to pick on back then. Now you go to a public pool and half the kids are total blobs! Not sure how their parents can look at themselves in the mirror every day.

Dr. Wankler and The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  13. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    Your "holier than thou" attitude is amazing, and I just love how you put meaning into what I say when you are the one that actually says it. I never said "shadowy experts" and I didn't say the pyramid tells one to drink soda...I added that part because that is what MOST people do, at least here in the US. Most shopping carts in the store are loaded with soda, at least where I shop...it's pathetic.

You say the typical citizen eats way too much pre-processed crap, and I 100% agree with you. This is a HUGE problem, and we actually agree on something....amazing!! But then you also said that if people ate the food pyramid and did the daily exercise, they would be fine. You can't have it both ways, because the very essence of the pyramid has people eating what you just said people should not eat...processed crap (bread, cereal, rice, and pasta).

I also never said the experts tell us to eat a TV dinner, or drink 1.5L of cola....that is you adding it, for whatever reason. I simply provided a pic of the food pyramid, along with info on fat america.

This forum is fascinating to me, a real echo chamber of sorts...with unwritten rules and almost a pecking order!. It would never fly this way in person, I am quite certain the pompous ass hats here, that think they are in charge in some weird way, would be your typical bullied victim, cowering in a corner at any sort of confrontation. But then again, what is real anymore...

14. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Are you for real?

luftmensch, charlie15 and stanger repped this.
  15. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    The parents are even larger than the kids...Disneyland had to upgrade the weight limit capacity of It's a Small World due to fat america bottoming out the "boats" on that ride.

My point of posting about the food pyramid was due to someone suggesting that "the experts never say to eat healthy...:ROFLMAO:" and the sad reality is that they don't. In my opinion, based on what I see, the "experts" don't really want us healthy...they enjoy the for profit health care that exists here. There is too much money involved in treating the sick and unhealthy...

[​IMG]

16. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    No, I am just in the simulation along with you...what the f*ck is that supposed to mean?

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Think Big Love.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Love

Dr. Wankler repped this.
  18. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    We too are definitely on an upward trend in BC. Luckily, we have a fair bit to give in ICU capacity, but tgat too is spiking fast. We're at about 110 in ICU.

With surge capacity we have about another 350 to 400 beds available. But its scary.

My parents and in laws all have jabs scheduled this week. I'm likely going to be the end of May myself.

I think second shots will end up being way earlier than 4 months too for everyone. My guess is 2.5 to 3 months with how quickly supplies are ramping.

BC has now done 20% of adults for first jabs.

19. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    It means you’re a fkn opinionated wind bag.

luftmensch, charlie15 and stanger repped this.
  20. JamesA

JamesA Member+

Dec 7, 2004
    Victoria
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    And now Israel have skipped out their bill to Pfizer. And Pfizer have subsequently stopped sending them more doses.

Pfizer even publicly called them a Banana Republic.

Cheap bastards.

charlie15 repped this.
  21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    lol One would think that a fat parent should know better than anyone that's its important to ensure that their kid doesn't follow in their footsteps.

Being a parent is tough but this isn't one of the difficult parts of the job.

22. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Just you. I see them all the time (the traditional ones anyway). Not even close. They'd never wear those boots, for instance.

23. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh, OK.

24. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Same here in germany unfortunately. I really notice the difference between Hamburg and out in the countryside where I am now. Out here you see people getting a couple of crates of soda which is insane.

Depends what you mean exactly. e.g I make my own curries with rice - and I think that is fine. I try to avoid too many carbs but especially when I am going mainly vego, i don't find it too be problematic. Bread from the baker in germany is very high quality. The stuff from the supermarket that comes in a plastic bag is of course trash and full of sugar

The food pyramid is not what is making them fat - If they actually ate a lot of grains, rice, cereals, veg, way less meat, and minimal sugar intake - they would be in far better shape

BocaFan repped this.
  25. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    My german family eat a shit tonne of grains/potatoes/fruit/veg and less meat, sugar and pre-processed stuff. They are skinny and healthy. But what they eat is close to the pyramid.

I try to avoid all the carbs because I am older, in training, and have to be careful, so i tend to go for some rice, veg etc, and add things that will make me happy like steak, bacon whatever

But actually, eating german bread won't be a problem. It is heavy on fibre

soccernutter, Dr. Wankler and ChrisSSBB repped this.