Courage at Philly 7/26 [R]

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by Heeligan2, Jul 26, 2003.

1. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
  2. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Tied at 1-1.

It's 1-1 in the 30th minute. Birgit scored for us, assisted by Carla and Tiff.

Is anybody out there able to watch this on TV? If so, share with the rest of poor souls any details you think we'd like to know. Like, you could describe Birgit's goal. Please?

3. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Half Time

Still tied at 1-1
    The match tracker is a little confusing. It says that one of the Philly players, Jenny Benson, got a yellow for fouling Birgit and then got a yellow for dissent, but does not say that they were sent off -- so I can't tell if the match tracker just changed its mind as to what the yellow was for or there really were two?

4. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    Jenny Benson is still in... Birgit just fouled her. I guess the match tracker was wrong.

5. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    now we're ahead

2 - 1
    Venus scored assisted by TR, who also had an assist on the first goal.

6. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Another score by Venus!

3-1 in the 83rd. Venus again, with assist by Unni.

7. Klee

Klee Member

Feb 24, 2001
    Chapel Hill, NC
    It's over.

We had to win it and we won it. Let's keep rollin', team!

We'd love to hear any reports from people who were able to watch the action.

8. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    we win!

Yay!

Seems like there were a lot of fouls.

This is a tough time to be a Philly fan... yikes.

9. Heeligan2

Heeligan2 Member

Jan 27, 2001
    Earthaven, NC
    fouls

We committed 16 fouls to their 9 according to match tracker.

10. Titan

Titan Member

Jul 30, 2001
    ACC country
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We won!!!! We won!!!!

WOOHOO!!!!

Go Courage!!!!

11. nordby1

nordby1 Member

Sep 4, 2001
    SAN DIEGO
    Club:
    Lillestrom SK
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Huge Victory Tonight In Philly!!

Congratulations Courage on a great victory that keeps them right in the thick of playoff contention. If I'm not mistaken, I believe that this was the first time that a Courage goalkeeper other than Bente Nordby has ever defeated the Charge.

I'm also happy to see Venus playing so well because the Courage really needed someone else to score goals besides Birgit after Fotop got injured. Congratulations to Birgit as well for scoring her 10th goal and to Unni for recording her 6th assist, which I believe moves her into a tie for 5th place with Fotop among the WUSA assist leaders.

Coach Entlich and his staff deserve a lot of credit for everything they have done to help turn things around this season after the disasterous 0-4 start and the loss of team MVP Hege Riise. When I was in Cary for the WUSA All Star Game I heard someone say that the Courage had a chance to go from worst to first during the same season. If the Courage continue to play as well as they have been playing lately, I might actually get the chance to see Carolina play twice at Torero Stadium during the month of August. :cool: