Countess, Vaca, Bonseau on the bench. Hmmm...

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Jambon, Sep 21, 2003.

1. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Definitely a take charge statement by Colin Clarke in his first game. I guess no one can argue with results, right? I wonder if Clarke is the type to settle on his preferred players and stick with them, or if he will start a different lineup every week when things get rough, a la Jeffries.

I definitely like the lineup with Johnson and Curtis on the wings, but I wonder if they will be able to cut it defensively once other teams have a chance to gameplan this lineup.

The backline was most surprising to me. Has Clarke concluded that Bonseau is just too far out of form? I was quite surprised to see Thomas get the nod over him. And Behnke? Can this really be a permanent solution, or is Gbandi still recovering from injury? In any case, Lord that shutout was welcome.

Colin Clarke has one hell of a test coming up next week at SJ. Personally, I'd be satisfied if we could just pick up where we left off last night and play some respectable defense. IMO that's the starting point for this team from here on out.

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It looks like Gbandi is having ankle problems and according to the DMN, Countess had a relative die last week and missed several days. Cassar will most likely get the next start now though by virtue of his clean sheet. The defenders in this game might also for the same reason. As tough as wins have come this year, why tamper with success? If the wheels fall back off that will change again. I don't know why Vaca didn't get time. Maybe whoever of the collection of Pareja, Deering, Davis, Stone and Vaca that look the best that week get the nod. I sort of salivate at the thought of Little Joe behind those three forwards though with his passing ability. I would prefer Vaca, Pareja, Stone - Vaca, Davis, Stone or Davis, Pareja, Stone. Deering played good yesterday but he has too many ups and downs. When he is down the team gets hammered.

3. Jambon

Jambon Member

Mar 3, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Still, we need two legitimate defensive midfielders out there. I think Pareja and Deering behind Davis is the best central combination we've got. It's the wings I'm a little concerned about.

4. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gotta congratulate Dallas on a HUGE win. the funny thing about it is that Dallas is STILL NOT OUT OF IT!!! Kansas City doesn't look like they are going to pick up another point this season, so it might come down to Dallas getting a big win @SJ this coming week and then smashing KC at KC a few weeks down the line. All hope is not gone yet. By the way, could this really be the start of E. Johnson living up to his potential????

5. BurnFanMan

BurnFanMan New Member

Mar 5, 2002
    El Paso
    I certainly like the defense last night, heck, the midfield and attack as well. How long was it before we gave up a shot on goal? Cassar did well to keep the clean sheet but I don't recall him making a save until the second half. We even missed a few chances in the first that could have made it more. I liked the way Thomas and Behncke showed last night. I think the young guys in the back definitely befefitted from the overall shape we had. And how about the three up front? The reason a lot of people say we played a four five one and Colin says we played a four three three is because EJ and Curtis covered enough ground to defend like midfielders and still get forward to get in behind the defense. It helps to have big Toni holding the ball and winning battles against maybe the biggest defender in the league, but they still did an unbelievable job with just plain hard work. I have to keep reminding myself that it's all too little too late and only one game, but last night was the first time in a while I felt happy after watching a game.

6. goal123

goal123 New Member

Jul 4, 2002
    If I were the coach!

I like the burn and I hope the wins continue. The difference last game versus most of the other games, is Chicago played pathetic and had little if no shots on goal. Chicago showed no signs of previous form and therefore we won. I don't think the defense did a great job, but Chicago really stunk! Dallas has not capitalized and scored on opportunities and therefore we have lost all year. EJ and our other strikers have missed numerous opportunities. They need to posess the ball and put it on goal every time. Dallas lost the ball numerous times and did not have the "goal of the week chances" If we had forwards that smelled the back of the net each and every time, this season would be a huge difference. Eddie did finish the sitter, however he has missed at least three recently. That is unacceptable. If I were the coach, I would start a player and if he missed a goal opportunity (not putting it on frame!) , he would be pulled and sit the rest of the game. No exceptions! If a defender makes a costly mistake, he is out and will be subbed. If I was out of subs in 10 minutes, then so be it! We could always pull the goalie trick at the end if necessary!. . I would like to see the best players on the field for the rest of the year and actually put together impressive wins with shots on goal each and every time and a solid defense game. Not until this happens will the burn turn things around!

7. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    New broom sweeps clean and who can argue with the result?

8. gotyourback

gotyourback Member

Jul 18, 2002
    Aurora/Arlington
    Re: Re: Countess, Vaca, Bonseau on the bench. Hmmm...

Very true, and you can also bring up the fact that noone is pointing the 'dumb' finger at a teammate; hence the move toward "forget blaming someone else and bust your azz to help things get better as a reliable, hardworking teammate"...

The 'cerebral approach' that Jeffries employed had an effect of making hard-working players 'think too much'. Then, they started blaming others for 'not thinking enough'.

When you have a 'bust your azz' mentality in place, it becomes clear that you better commit 100% to team play, or your not playing at all. Period.

The 'athletic athlete', like many who are now on the Burn roster, must employ this philosophy in order to perform at their highest level.

Don't make a chess player out of an Eddie Johnson.

9. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    I have no idea what the heck the above means but I'll smoke a little of whatever you are smoking and we can then talk about it.... ;)

10. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was mainly saying that I prefer others over Chad. When Ronnie comes back the three interior mids in the 4-2-3-1 could be Vaca, Davis and O'Brien. I could live with that.