Coulter Shouted Down at a College

Discussion in 'Bill Archer's Guestbook' started by Smiley321, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    That isn't really surprising, because liberals believe in free speech until you irritate them with different opinions.

What really caught my eye was this AP report on the incident. This is a typical example of a liberal reporting in a way that makes clear that she despises Coulter.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2005/12/07/D8EBR6D00.html

The second paragraph is typical. It seems that Ann is insulting all of her audience, but I'll bet that she was only insulting the hecklers. Was this sloppy verbiage, or a reporter's liberal bias?

I give heavy odds on the latter. With liberals, the sloppiness only goes in one direction.

2. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    To me, the irony of this particular event is that it makes Coulter MORE controversial, gives here MORE PR, and makes her MORE prominent.

By shouting her down, they almost make her sympathetic, and make themselves look like buffoons.

If they really want to negate her, they should simply not show up, and get other people to not show up. An empty room is much more effective

3. kaiserwilhelm

kaiserwilhelm New Member

Jun 18, 2001
    Oklahoma
    Did anyone catch Law and Order SVU the other day? Kid was beaten up because their parent was a lesbonian. Detectove Munch stated, "When did NY become a red state". Pissed me off to no end. Do red states automatically just beat up little kids? Of course not. Comments like this are just thown in now like the crap about the poor little commies in the 50's having it so rough from the HUAAC.

4. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    A long time ago, R. Emmett Tyrell (of American Spectator fame) coined a term for what you described: Kultursmog.

Tyrell is getting old, but in his prime he was as good as it gets.

5. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, from a journalistic standpoint, it was a pretty fair report - even leaning towards a bias for Coulter given the placement of the final statement.

6. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    The Q&A blurb was another telltale sign of bias: she had to explain to a liberal that her comments about women voting was a joke, according to the reporter "reversing her previous comments" (which presumably were serious disparagements of women's right to vote). Liberals have no sense of humor when it comes to Coulter, because her jokes are usually ridiculing liberals.

Liberals have such tunnel vision that they can't see obvious examples of bias like that. And it looks like the shoe fits for Mr. Bee.

7. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    . . . which is why she books speeches at college campuses in the first place.

(But I do think that you're correct. It's the Last Temptation of Christ/Satanic Verses model, in which protests only increase the popularity of the controversial item.)

8. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Since when did conservatism become controversial?

9. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    It's divisive, didn't you know that?

If not for conservatives, the world would be a utopian love-fest for liberals.

Conservatives seek to divide and conquer with fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency and a fanatical devotion to the pope.

10. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    You're right! According to the Thesaurus at Dictionary.com, I wouldn’t want to be a conservative either.

Conservative:
    Synonyms: bourgeois, cautious, constant, controlled, conventional, die-hard, fearful, firm, fogyish, fuddy-duddy, guarded, hard hat, hidebound, holding to, illiberal, inflexible, middle-of-the-road, not extreme, obstinate, old guard, old-line, orthodox, quiet, red-neck, right, right-wing, sober, stable, steady, timid, traditional, traditionalistic, unchangeable, unchanging, uncreative, undaring, unimaginative, unprogressive, white bread

Liberal:
    Synonyms: advanced, avant-garde, big, broad, broad-minded, catholic, detached, disinterested, dispassionate, enlightened, flexible, free, general, high-minded, humanistic, humanitarian, impartial, indulgent, inexact, interested, latitudinarian, left, lenient, libertarian, loose, magnanimous, not close, not literal, not strict, permissive, pink, radical, rational, reasonable, receiving, receptive, reformist, tolerant, unbiased, unbigoted, unconventional, understanding, unorthodox, unprejudiced

11. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Don't be daft. You know as well as I that Coulter is controversial. She's a provocateur; her popularity depends on the reaction she gets. In this respect, she is nothing like, say, Jonah Goldberg.

12. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    So she's kind of like Al Franken, Babs and Howard Dean. You would say they're controversial too right?

13. YITBOS

YITBOS Member+

Jul 2, 2001
    1.3 hours from CCS
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did she make these comments and what was the context? I hate to pull the context issue out, but I seem to recall Coulter's comments dripping in sarcasm last time I heard them.

14. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Franken, yes. Babs is just an idiot; I don't think she courts controversy. Howard Dean is not a provocateur (while heated, his rhetoric still falls considerably short of Coulter's).

15. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    No, no. Let's make a real distinction here.

Coulter is a conscious provocateur. As you point out, she goes to college campuses to get a rise out of the lefties -- indeed, she's a one-woman industry in getting lefties like you to clench their fists in a rage.

Dean is a provocateur, but he is an UNconscious one. He engages in provocative rhetoric, because he is simply incapable of getting his brain -- a considerable brain, admittedly -- in gear before he opens his trap.

For example, to paraphrase the Dr...."we shouldn't jump to accuse Bin Laden, but Tom DeLay, well, he should be in jail."

On that criteria, Coulter is a more advanced life form.

16. bojendyk

bojendyk New Member

Jan 4, 2002
    South Loop, Chicago
    Can a person really be an unconscious provocateur? I suppose I agree otherwise. Dean definitely gets a rise out of his opponents, although I don't recall Dean ever believing in bin Laden's innocence.

And if Coulter is a more advanced life form, then so is Franken. :D

17. FeverNova1

FeverNova1 New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Plano
    Last April, the president of the University of St. Thomas in Minnesota denounced a speech on the campus by Coulter, calling it hateful. In October 2004, University of Arizona police arrested two men who ran on stage and threw custard pies at Coulter; one of the pies glanced off her shoulder.

The hateful calling someone hateful. And the pie throwers were not hateful.

In her speech at UConn, Coulter called Bill Clinton an "executive buffoon" who won the presidency only because Ross Perot took 19 percent of the vote. She called California Sen. Barbara Boxer a good candidate for the Democrats because "she is a woman and she's learning disabled."

Thank goodness she didn’t say Clinton was like Hitler or that our troops were like terrorists. Now that would’ve been hateful.

18. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Quick Vote now on CNN.COM:

[​IMG]

Where's the choice for 'Cnn, for putting this stupid poll up'?

19. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    He didn't believe in his innocence...he just didn't want to insist on guilt without some sort of due process.

And, yes, Franken is a higher life form than Dean. Largely because he has the capability to be funny.

20. Smiley321

Smiley321 Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Concord, Ca
    Oddly enough, his radio show has few laughs. It's more like a garden-variety left-wing talkfest from NPR. Randi Rhodes is even funnier, in an annoying Pat Schroeder kind of way.

21. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    BDS on full display!

You've got everything here. Bad facts. Made up numbers. Intellectual superiority.

And a b!tch slapping ending.

22. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/celebrities/content/local_news/epaper/2006/02/15/a2a_josecol_0215.html

23. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Wow.. and I thought you'd be here with her "raghead" comment at CPAC, which, according to my neighbor who is a member went over about as well as intelligent discourse in the Politics forum.

Revolt, I'm saddened and disappointed with you. Even more, I thank God that San Jose no longer has a soccer team.

Sachin