Could Mexico or Canada host a succesful Gold Cup?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Crazy_Yank, Sep 2, 2010.

1. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i was thinking that. It's not like Cali and Florida are close to each other anyways, what's the difference in terms of air travel if you have one group in Toronto/Montreal and one in Mexico City?

This would be dependent on Mexico playing in Mexico, and to a lesser extent Canada playing in Canada (we do not have a lot of central american immigrants in Canada)

2. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    At the very least Canada and the US could combine to host it. They´ve already combined for the MLS and USL.

3. msers

msers New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Huh? You didn't watch the CAN v. HON WCQ in 2008 from Stade Saputo in Montreal?

Canadian fans have always been outnumbered at home against decent sides. CAN v. JAM WCQ in 2008 at BMO in Toronto, CAN v. PER friendly in 2010 at BMO in Toronto. It's fine by me cause it just means more money for the CSA.

This is a tournament that would do very well in a place like Montreal with a smaller stadium. It probably wouldn't sell out BMO and that could be a bit embarrassing.

4. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    i guess i was comparing to LA or New York. Spanish is not that common a language in Canada, compared to the U.S. And this is from a guy who hangs out at parks playing soccer in the summer, where latin americans are very overrepresented compared to the general population.

5. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    To answer the question that is the title of the thread:Yes,both could easily host this tournament,and so could Costa Rica(on their own) and I mean that.

I don't know why so many people keep bringing the idea about hosting a group in Canada and one in Mexico and so on...Why can't another country from our region be under the spotlight(by itself) for a few weeks in the summer by hosting all the matches?

6. nlsanand

nlsanand Member+

May 31, 2007
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    $$$$$$$$$$

7. msers

msers New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    I don't think it will happen for a long time. From my understanding the rights to organize the tournament is owned by an American corporation and they have an agreement with CONCACAF that runs past 2017... I could be wrong though, I read that a while ago and I can't remember the exact details.

8. BigDreams

BigDreams Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I think Canada could host a competition like this, I think Canada needs to as well. It would be great for Canadian soccer. The facilities exist in Canada too. All that lacks is organization, investment and commitment.

9. BigDreams

BigDreams Member

Aug 22, 2010
    Windsor, ON, Canada
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    How about a joint hosting of this competition by El salvador and Honduras??? :D We need alot of investment to upgrade our stadiums :(

10. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Heck,El Salvador or Honduras could each host by themselves!In other regions in the last few years,it was shown that the hosting of a 16 team continental event could be done with 3 or 4 venues/stadiums...

11. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    that's what I've been saying. the tournament should be use as a tool to build infrastructure and develop the game in all the nations in the region.

a candidacy of El Salvador-Honduras, or Panama-Costa Rica would be awesome, hell, even Guatemala-Belize. joint hosting is a good idea.

12. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

In theory that is a nice thought, but there would have to be a reasonable expectation of a profit to justify/fund those infrastructure upgrades. I just don't see how that would be remotely possible in the above countries mentioned. These games would be poorly attended in a country like Mexico with a decent sized middle class, let alone a much poorer Central American country.

13. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Some of the matches are already poorly attended in the US...

1 person likes this.
  14. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    exactly, and I'm sure Mexico would grant the fans of the teams competing visas, which means many will take the opportunity to cross over to Mexico easy and get closer to the U.S.:D

15. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    But seriously,the Gold Cup has gained a very bad reputation over the last few years and I'm pretty sure that this has to do with the fact that it's poorly organized and advertised by CONCACAF,hence the low attendance figures...

16. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So the solution is to put it somewhere with less resources and marketing savvy? Have you seen the joke that is UNCAF? Less than 1000 people at games not involving the home team. When Central America can get its shit together enough to host a successful UNCAF tournament then they should get a shot at the Gold Cup.

17. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    The Gold Cup is the regional tournament, the U.S. shouldn't get to decide when it is willing to share it, also, the resources of the Gold cup should be use to build infrastructure in the countries that do not have it.

4 new stadiums for a joint-candidacy should be enough.

18. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    He's just pointing out the truth, which you seem to ignore all the time. If the UNCAF cup is a giant failure, why should it get the Gold cup? It's not about the US but why should CONCACAF do so when it will be a giant failure anywhere else but the US and maybe Canada?

19. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    a giant failure anywhere but the US and maybe Canada???? just like the last 2 world cups in Mexico were a giant failure?

and as far as the central american nations, uncaf is a shitty tournament, but to them The Gold Cup is the best they can aspire to, so as long as they keep the ticket prices accessible, the people will show up. The tv revenue and sponsors will follow the tournament where ever it goes, so it is guaranteed to make money anyway. Furthermore, it is easy for fans in the region to follow their team to a country in central america than it would be in the U.S. The only reason they get people in the stadiums is thanks to the immigrant population, but the Gold Cup should be a way to promote the sport in the region, develop infrastructure and help the local economies.

20. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002

Are you really comparing the world cup to the gold cup? And even then that proves my point. See the crowd for some of the games which weren't that popular like Belgium vs Iraq or Bulgaria vs South Korea. Why would they go to Panama vs Jamaica? Show me ANY game in any of the youth wc qualifiers games in Mexico that have been well attended where Mexico hasn't played? Mexicans don't care about games of other CONCACAF teams. It already has happened, Brazil vs Honduras in Azteca in 03. All your proof is based on your hunches which sometimes have no basis (like claiming a large immigrant population that wasn't there).

And same thing and even more for Central America. Unlike Mexico, where the only thing that should prevent them from hosting is the fan apathy, they don't have the infraestructure for a competition like this. And once again you base the fanfare on what? The UNCAF competition already shows that they don't care from other teams. You talk about visiting fans as if that is a guarantee. Based on what? Do large numbers of Jamaicans travel to WC qualifiers in other countries? Why would they go to San Salvador or San Pedro Sula to watch a tournament that is lower in the totem pole than WC qualifiers? Why would people travel for a tournament that takes a longer time (not just 1 game and you're out) and is less important that other competitions and face the lack of infraestructure outside the stadiums? The competition would be a failure everywhere else outside of the US and maybe Canada.

21. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    ^^^this

22. Soccerfever

Soccerfever Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Laval(Canada)
    Yeah but don't you think that this has to do with the fact that every two years,it's pretty much the same matches over and over again no matter who the host is!There are only 7 teams in UNCAF so it kinda has to be attributed to the lack of diversity/teams among other reasons.

Did I red that correctly?Was that also what FIFA told you guys back in the 80s when you wanted to host the World Cup?Your famous NASL that had quite a few big name players had just crashed a few years before and you still had the World Cup anyway when the popularity of the sport wasn't high.So you can't use that argument about ''Central America should get its shit together if they wanna host a Gold Cup!''...What did you guys have in the late eighties when you wanted to host the World Cup huh?So how dare you to ask smaller nations to get their shit together when you almost had nothing when your country was awarded the World Cup.And as far as I know the 94 World Cup was held in the US to promote the sport in your country.Why can't a smaller(in that case,regional) tournament be held in a smaller country to help them build better infrastructures?Why are you denying others something that was given to you?Some of you Americans are selfish beyond belief!:eek:

And just like drunkguy10 has stated previously,the US shouldn't be the one deciding where the Gold Cup goes and who should get to host it when that country has held this thing on its home turf for years(might aswell say decades),by now you might just wanna call it the ''US owned CONCACAF Gold Cup''.

1 person likes this.
  23. Rafael Hernandez

Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Yeah that's the reason. Otherwise Guatemalans or Hondurans would love to see a Canada vs Jamaica game. :rolleyes:

What did the US had? The US always had infraestructure like Canada and Mexico. And unlike Mexico, they have the immigrant communities that can make the majority of games from complete and utter failures to mediocre attendances. Central America has no country with any quality to be able to pull it off. No infraestructure, no fanfare, no anything. It would be a total wasteland except for the host games. If anything it would probably be better off and have better results in Trinidad and Tobago than in some CA countries. And I'm not american or care about the US but I hate the bullshit argument that they are holding something hostage when it isn't the case.

24. JYDA

JYDA Member

Sep 10, 2003
    soccerfever,

You don't get it!! It's not the USSF hogging the tournament. It's CONCACAF that keeps holding it there.

25. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    That was in reference to your claim that the Gold Cup would be a huge failure anywhere but the U.S. or Canada. As if Mexico was not capable of hosting a successful GC.

to see a game:rolleyes:

The interest of the people is stimulated by good advertising, plus if it is well promoted and the Government is in on it and faciliated the travel of Panamanians, and those Jamaicans who can afforded, the game should have a descent attendance, and as I said in my previous post, games that are of little interest to the people should be cheaper, if not free for seating in some areas of the stadium. After all is not like the U.S. fills the stadiums in every game, they are lucky to get 5,000 people in a Jamaica vs panama, even charging low prices.

Now you are comparing youth wc qualifiers to a continental competition? I know the gold Cup is belittled, but not to that extreme.

That is a matter of planning. Mexican in Mexico city are not going to be impressed by a Brazil vs Honduras, but people in Chiapas might. Furthermore, teh tournament should be taken, specially for minnow teams, to areas of the country where they rarely, if ever, see an international match.

That is exactly what the Gold Cup should be for, to build infrastructure in countries where they have none. Lack of infrastructure should not be a reason not to host the tournament, but rather a reason to host it. Revenue from the GC should be use to build new stadiums and demand certain conditions outside the stadiums, transportation and lodging facilities for the fans visiting. Governments typically use this as a way to show the world the country's best image. You just have to look at conmebol for proof, every country in conmebol has hosted Copa America.

The stadiums do not need to be state of the art, but just enough to host the tournament.

Stop repeating yourself, I've already addressed your infrastructure argument.

the tourist attraction is based on the example set up by other tournaments around the world. The Gold Cup has never been truly tested, bc it has always been hosted or co-hosted in the U.S. So, it has little credibility. First of all, there are no guarantees for anything, there were no guarantees that People from the participating countries would travel to South Africa, there were not Guarantees that Fans would travel to Venezuela, it is the same thing with he GC. the organizing committee must ensure that the tournament is property promoted and the government is in sync to encourage citizens from other nations to travel to see their country's games. Given the proximity among the countries in Central America, travel shouldn't be a big issue if organized properly.

And there is no comparison btw WC qualifiers and a continental tournament. I will not take the time to answer that, because I think it is not a proper way of measuring the fans attendance. Its as saying Argentina shouldn't host the Copa America bc during WC qualifiers It is mostly Argentinians in the stadiums. Every one knows the qualifiers are home and away.

And if you haven't noticed, the GC is the highest rated tournament most countries in concacaf can attend. which is why a big deal to qualify to it.

Just bc you look down on the GC it doesn't mean people living in Central America will.

Can you also tell me the winning lottery numbers?:rolleyes: