Could Mexico or Canada host a succesful Gold Cup?

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by Crazy_Yank, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Speaking as someone who has lived in the state of Tamaulipas for several years your assertion about illegals is 100% not true. Mexico treats illegals horribly. Far worse than the US. They are beaten, robbed, raped, and killed on a regular basis by the Mexican police and gang members. This is why I laugh at Mexicans who decry the treatment of illegals in US, but say nothing about the treatment of illegals in Mexico. I'm not attacking you Drunk Guy. I like you as a poster, but do some research and educate yourself on this issue. Also, the population of illegal Central Americans in Tamaulipas is a very transient population. 99.9999999% of them are just biding their team in order to cross the boarder. The Central Americans who stay in Mexico are the poorest of the poor. They come to Mexico because while the jobs they can get pay like shit, at least they can find a job. These people do not have the funds to travel or buy a ticket to a football match. Also, no one is going to risk the wrath of gangs/police (really one and the same in Mexico) to illegally cross the border to see a match.

2. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Truer words have never been spoken.

I would love Canada to host the Gold Cup, it would be a success there. Mexico would not work, especially with the problems going on down there.

3. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I also lived and grew up in Tamaulipas, and when I grew up there things were much different. don't let the current violence deceive you. Immigrants are not hated in Mexico as they are here. I'm not going to deny exploitation and abuse from authorities and narcos, but sadly that is a fate that is affecting Mexicans and immigrants alike, if not ask the paisanos that are going back to Mexico after long years of work in the U.S. or the ones being deported. This is not a problem of immigration, but rather of corruption. Corrupt cops and narcos take advantage of those they can.

I hope the next president that comes in has the balls to declare martial law, increase the size of the army to a few millions, block the borders to stop money, drugs and weapons from being smuggled in, and kills all the fycking narcos. Only then can we start the recovery.

But eitherway, as I sad, Immigrants are not hated in Mexico as they are here. It'll also be better if they learn not to follow the same route as everyone to go north.

4. Socrates_81

Socrates_81 Red Card

May 27, 2008
    Blank

You're right about what goes on...but there is something that needs to be said about what goes on in Mexico in regards to illegals.

All of the horrible things that happen to them are done by Zetas/drug cartels and corrupt police forces...the same ones that kill and kidnap Mexicans themselves.

So it's not like Mexicans agree with what's going on or mistreat the illegals themselves. They're just not capable of protecting them, and sometimes fear helping them. Under those conditions is it really fair to laugh at Mexicans on this side of the border? Illegals are mistreated on both sides, so the problems up north shouldn't be nullified just because of the problems they face in Mexico.

My point is blame the corrupt cops and drug cartels, who are everyones enemy.

5. Crazy_Yank

Crazy_Yank Member

Jan 8, 2001
    Matamoros, Mexico
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I'm not blaming Mexicans for anything. I also feel there is a large amount of prejudice in Mexico against Central Americans. I've had people tell me that there isn't any racial bigotry/prejudice in Mexico. I laugh at people who deny that there is a problem in Mexico while pointing a finger at the US. Illegals in the US get far better treatment than they do in Mexico. In Texas I have friends without papers that are still able to get student loans to attend Texas Universities. They can find good work, buy houses, cars, etc......Do those opportunities exist for illegals in Mexico? If they are detained they are not beaten, raped, murdered, etc.....They are just sent back. I also disagree with the assertion that Mexicans are hated. I do not think most people hate Mexicans. I am very pro immigrant, but I understand the frustration of the populace. The US needs to know who is here. Immigration reform needs to happen. It is big business that prefers the status quo.

6. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    In Florida up until recently there were regular hate crimes against Haitian (and other) immigrants, and many times they were raped by INS officials before being deported. But America has a functioning judicial process and numerous groups to protect undocumented workers, Mexico currently is unable to protect even their own citizens. There isn't any country that treats illegal immigrants good, not in Central America, the Caribbean, South America, Europe, the Middle East, South Africa, Asia, Australia, etc.

7. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    any links to this?

8. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    The internet wasn't big in the early 90s. Just go to a local library and check old articles from the Sun-Sentinal or Miami Herald.

9. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Canada actually treats illegal immigrants well. They aren't mistreated, and are given plenty of opportunities before deportation becomes a possibility

EDIT: So does Iceland, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, and Finland

10. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    I'm not so sure about the last few. Iceland doesn't have many immigrants, but there are a significant number of Scandinavians that dislike Middle-Easterners. I haven't been to any country where a group of undocumented immigrants who are perceived to commit most of the crimes and waiste the country's resources (weather that's true or not) are viewed favorably by most people.

11. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    in all fairness, its hard to like a group of people when its members not only threaten but also carry out death threats against those who dare to say anything negative against islam.

1 person likes this.
  12. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Not all Middle-Easterners are Muslims, and not all Muslims are terrorists. America tends to get the more educated Middle-Easterners while Europe gets the poorer (and more militant) ones. There are stereotypes of every group, that they're lazy and only come to feed of the taxpayers' money, or to sell drugs, or to commit crimes, or they're less patriotic and care more about their home country, etc.

It isn't about Muslims, it happens to (and is perpetrated by) all over the world.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7499364.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/712816.stm
    http://euobserver.com/?sid=9&aid=19783
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4671687.stm
    http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=990CE2D61038F932A15750C0A9649C8B63
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3192425.stm
    http://www.jta.org/news/article/2010/01/21/1010257/netanyahu-illegal-immigration-threat-to-israel
    http://www.alarabiya.net/articles/2010/10/03/121091.html
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7564584.stm
    http://moderntribalist.blogspot.com/2006/03/costa-rica-is-worried-about-influx-of.html
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Argentina#Racism_against_other_Latin-Americans
    http://www.jonesbahamas.com/?c=45&a=12220

Notice that many of the nations who've sent millions of immigrants all over the world make the loudest complaints about it (Ireland, Italy, North Africa, Eastern Europe, Asian nations, etc.)

13. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I understand, I myself know some Muslims, but the fact is that in the netherlands, for example, a filmmaker got killed because he made a documentary about the violence against women in Islam and still being followed.

in Denmark a cartoonist has to have protection 24/7 because he portrait Mohammad in his column.

in Seattle a columnist had to change her identity because she defended the danish cartoonist be declaring a Mohammad cartoon day, where everyone would draw a cartoon of Mohammad.

I'm not saying its right, but I can't blame them if they don't want those people to migrate to their countries. aside from that, I agree, immigrants everywhere are looked kind of bad, specially where the numbers are really high. They are usually the scapegoats of hardships.

1 person likes this.
  14. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Iceland gets loads from Greenland, which still count

Denmark and Sweden dislike middle-easterners at the moment because they don't integrate into Danish and Swedish society like everyone else does. It creates issues, there was a Danish poll I read of a few years back that said only 5% of middle-eastern immigrants would marry a Dane. It's a problem when they, and Muslims specifically (since the majority of middle-eastern immigrants are Muslim) continue to live under Sharia Law in Denmark and ignore Danish cultural norms, and as a result they interfere with the progression of Denmark's multi-cultural society.

That doesn't mean they are mistreated, it means that Denmark is reluctant to allow Islamic immigrants because they have recently been regressing society from a multi-cultural point of view and have been a blow economically (5% of the population is muslim and they consume 40% of the welfare system). Denmark's just doing what is in the best interests of society, they don't hate immigrants because the differences they have, hell they even promote the tolerance of those who are different, it's the immigrants who have been making life tough over there.

I'm not as educated on Sweden but I would think it would have to be similar.

15. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    if its true about muslims being only 5% and taking 40% of welfare, then they are the worst kinds of immigrants.

16. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

But also if 5% of the population is Muslim, they its an absolute guarantee that 99.9% of them are immigrants or descend from immigrants, therefore they are likely the largest group of immigrants as well.

17. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    I'm not disagreeing with either but there are two sides to every story. Many moderate people (of all religions) become militant under duress. Chechnya is a good example where moderate Muslims turned extremist when the Russian government began committing human rights abuses against them. Middle-Easterners live under severe repression from dictators backed by Western governments. It isn't as simple as just "hating freedom" and trying to beat women for uncovering themselves.

When law-abiding immigrants get stereotyped and mistreated because of the actions of a few (as they often are in Europe,) it can turn people bitter. Frustrated immigrants in other areas turn to crime, while they turn to religion and terrorism.

It doesn't make sense for governments to allow businesses to bring in immigrants to work for low wages (pitting them against the poor of their own country) then blame them for stealing jobs and draining the country's social programs. I agree the onus is on the immigrants to integrate themselves into their host country, but when people refuse to accept them regardless (every country has ultra-nationalists and bigots,) they just revert back to what they know best, and with Muslims it's their religion. Weather that's right or wrong, it's human nature.

In an ideal world, governments would take better care of their citizens so they wouldn't have to emigrate, businesses wouldn't skirt the law and bring in poor migrants just to take advantage of them and avoid the minimum wage, and ultra-nationalists/religious extremists wouldn't look for scapegoats/recruits for their own agendas. Unfortunately that isn't the world we live in.

18. drunkguy10

drunkguy10 El Sancho

Dec 26, 2006
    No idea
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I wonder why no one in Europe complains about all the Africans emmigrating to Europe, but most countries complain about the Arabs. cuando el rio suena, es porque agua lleva.

19. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    They don't complain about the africans? Are you serious?

20. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    Oh they do.

21. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Oh I agree with you, my point overall is that there are several nations that treat illegals well, and even though Scandinavia is having issues with the middle-easterners (Denmark with Muslims specifically), it doesnt mean they are mistreated.

In my honest opinion, if you emigrate legally or not, it is your duty to integrate into that society. That doesn't mean you have to give up your faith or cultural values, but it does mean that you have an obligation to respect your new country by following their laws and contributing to their best interests. Basically if you're Muslim and want to live in Denmark (which the UN says is flat out "the best country in the world") then be a Dane. Be productive to Denmark. Contnue to practice your faith, thats what multiculturalism is all about, but do what Denmark says. They know what they are doing, and by moving there you should agree with them.

22. themodelcitizen

Jul 23, 2000
    BMO Field - Sec. 114
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    If the Carribbean can host a Cricket World Cup then why not... wait, nevermind, I think I'm in the wrong topic.

23. El Chuma

El Chuma BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your not, Canada could and someday host a Gold Cup.

24. coppercanuck

coppercanuck New Member

Mar 21, 2008
    Canada can absolutely host the Gold Cup. Mexico should be able to also. If the USA wants to host, fine, but narrow it down ... pick a state or a smaller region. The continental travel is used as an excuse in every competition in CONCACAF, so take it out of the equation.

I think the FIFA rankings are crap but to work the system, like UEFA, the qualifying process needs to be extended. Look at a country like San Marino, 50+ games since 2000 while Puerto Rico has played 16-ish. Make the Gold Cup happen on the same cycle as the UEFA championships and take a year and a half to qualify for each of the Gold Cup and World Cup. I think you'll see those CONCACAF minnows get some points.

25. msers

msers New Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Why doesn't Canada, Mexico and the US each host their group for the first round and then have the final round in the US.