Could Cherundolo Make It At A Bigger Club Than Hannover?

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by The Guvnor, Oct 12, 2003.

1. The Guvnor

The Guvnor New Member

Jan 20, 2000
    China
    I'm over here in China and fortunately I've been able to see a lot of Bundesliga matches on tv during the weekend. Recently I've seen a lot of Hannover matches on and I have been keeping an eye on Steve Cherundolo. Now in personal opinion I think he an excellent wing back for them and he definitely a crucial member to that teams defense. Now I have been thinking over this question for some time. Could 'Dolo make it with a bigger club?

I know not too long ago there were rumors that Schalke wanted to sign him, but that fizzled. I'm not too sure of the rosters at Bayern, Bayer, Dortmund, or Schalke, but I think he could easily fit in with one of these clubs if they saw the need to sign him. For instance at Bayern Lizarazu is close to his mid 30's and they are going to need someone soon to fill the void at right back. And right now the only person I can think of who can replace him is 'Dolo.

What are his chances?

2. soccerfreak #1

soccerfreak #1 New Member

Oct 6, 2003
    Cologne
    As far as I know, cherundolo is playing right back, a position that is already claimed at bayern by Sagnol.
    When hannover played ssecond league two years ago, there were roumors about bayern being interested in signing him, but I haven´t heard anything about that since then.

The only other big club in germany that could be interested in him are dortmund, cause the right back position is their weakest position in their squad, because evanilson is too bad in defense.

Bayer and Schalke don´t seem to be candidates for a possible move, cause theys have a different tactical concept .

3. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I think Lizerazou ( sp?) is a left-back.

4. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Bayern already has a younger and upcoming defender waiting behind Lizarazu.

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Is that Hargraevs?

6. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    let's be realistic, is stevie really good enough to move to big club?

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I am not sure. He might be, he might not be.

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

that would be tobias rau and yes lizerazu is a LB

9. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    depends on which club we're talking about

10. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    My thoughts exactly. He would have to go to a club that ran a system that played to his strengths.

11. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i rather he stayed at Hanover and play every weekend then sit on the bench to rot at some big club

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    agreed... plus i can hop on the train for an hour and go see him play

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When I see Hannover, he seems like an average (maybe a hair above average) player for the club. Which means that right now, the answer is, no. He's not going to help a bigger club win.

But at his age and experience, there's a reasonable chance that his game will take a Great Leap Forwards, and propel him into a position where a club with CL aspirations would want him and play him.

14. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

last year sure, but he is off to a fantastic start this season - already has three assists, including two on winners and when i last checked was ranked about 6th for 03-04 bundesliga defender ratings by kicker

15. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    You might want to check again. Vinicius is Hannover's top ranked defender and Steve is not quite in 6th place - try 34th.

16. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    wow! i figured he had dropped in the last month, but that's quite a fall!