Costa Rican league averages 2,222 fans in attendence

Discussion in 'Costa Rica' started by Deleted USer, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    http://www.unafut.com/?n=9243

http://www.mediotiempo.com/noticia.php?id_noticia=31260

El Deportivo Saprissa no solo se llevó el trofeo de Campeón del Apertura; ya que comandan el primer lugar en asistencia a los estadios, recaudación y porcentaje entregado a UNAFUT; los morados contabilizaron el 43% del total de taquilla reportado durante todo el torneo.

Los datos se hacen con base al reporte de taquilla que en cada jornada los equipos deben entregar a UNAFUT; por lo que únicamente se contabiliza la cantidad de aficionados que entraron pagando su entrada del día del juego; esta información no cuenta a los socios ni las entradas de cortesía.

Los actuales campeones del Apertura llevaron 103.933 (ciento tres mil novecientos treinta y tres) aficionados; recaudando ¢353.882.400 (trescientos cincuenta y tres millones ochocientos ochenta y dos mil cuatrocientos colones), de ese montó UNAFUT recibió por concepto de taquillas ¢17.696.120 (diecisiete millones seiscientos noventa y seis mil ciento veinte colones).

-------------------------------------------------

how long will it be until MLS becomes a better option for the Costa Rican player? The attendence is super low and the money generated by attendence alone cant pay for any "high price" players.

2. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    CRs population > 4 million

Teams like carmelita have no fans at all

CRL league > MLS

MLS destroys costarican players

3. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Attendance alone is not meant to pay for players' salaries. I doubt it does on any league in the world. That's why teams get sponsors, advertisement fees, socios, etc.

4. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    I never said that attendance alone pays for salaries.

I am aware that teams (as well as the FA) try to lure in sponsors, etc. But how much weight does UNFUT have at the table when they try to negotiate a more lucrative TV deal?

2,222 does not look good when trying to negotiate a deal.

That is why i ask, when will MLS be a better option for Costa Rican players who are wanting to make more $

5. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Saprissa, heredia, Alajuela and Brujas pay really good salaries, CR´n good players play for those teams, tico players that go to the MLS are mediocre, very young or very old

MLS refused to pay for players like Walter centeno, Cristian Bolaños, Carlos Hernandez, Alvaro Saborio, Ronald Gomez cause all off them are at least $1million

For TV issues and attendance issues consider that saprissa/alajuela fans are more than 75% of the total fans of the country

6. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    hahahah , no they just can't cut it in the MLS

Andy herron is starting to play decent and he's been in the MLS for 3 years, he is finally getting to reach MLS level of play.

those other players just stinked and thought MLS was a weak league.

MLS Side FC Dallas beat Tigres UNAL with thier B team, DC united tied Real Madrid and beat Celtic FC 4-0.

the teams are all competitive, not just just 1 or 2 good teams , they are all good

its not 1996 anymore Morado, its 2007 and the teams are as good as 2nd tier Euro teams

7. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    D.C. United tie againt Real Madrid shouldnt be a big deal becuz Real Madrid was begginin their conditioning and tryin get bak in competetion rhytm...juss ask Barcelona who tied America durin the preseason then a few months later after playin a few games in Spain, embarassed America 4-0 and it couldve easily been up to 7-8 goals if they wanted to.

i still think our league is better...all MLS has is the money and nice stadiums...but as of our players being juss bad...i dont think dats true...cuz players like Michael Umana and Pablo Chinchilla have proven theirselves in higher competetion wit the national team. They probably had a bad first season due to not adaptin maybe, but im sure they wouldve been starters if they wouldve stayed, but they decided not to. Its like sayin Andry Shevchenko sucks cuz he hasnt done anything wit Chelsea yet, but he juss needs time to adapt after playin many yrs in a different style of play like it is in Italy.

8. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    No time soon.

Thanks to qualifying for two straight World Cups, Costa Ricans are palatable in Europe. In some countries over there, the pay is good and the soccer unexceptional. So a guy like Pablo Chinchilla, who was a second-stringer in MLS, can arrive in the Austrian Bundesliga and step into a starting role. Looking down Martin Fischer's "Concacaf Abroad" list, there are also Ticos in Belgium, Cyprus, Czechia, Norway, Israel, Italy, and Switzerland, so their options aren't limited to the US.

Meanwhile, MLS is likely to start aiming higher for its imports. With more young Americans headed for Europe, the league is going to need some added quality. DC United is already making a push for first division starters from Argentina and Brazil, and it won't be surprising if other MLS teams follow suit.

9. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    well from unbias point of view the MLS is a tad better in terms of talent, MLS make not take INTL' tournament seriously, but from some who wacthes both CRL and MLS, MLS is just better,

your reasoning might make sense but every day players go to new league and adjust well because they are superior footballers or fail because they are not quite on the level required to play in that league even with the hardships of a "new culture" (Which is Bull).

Umana and chinchilla where simply out classed and replaced by 1st year players how played Ncca div1 and never played MLS Soccer in thier life or level close to it. i saw them play they where nothing special,

your boy sequiera too was noting special and he was playing for 2 different teams and has fail to impress, though i admit him and herron are solid players in the MLS.

10. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Wait, I got it now.

CR'n players that go to MLS rarely shine. Therefore that means that the MLS as a whole is better than CR'n league.

Right.

Nevermind head to head records or the fact that most of those players were 2nd string in CR to begin with...

11. numerista

numerista New Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Hmm ... Michael Umaña, Douglas Sequeira, Mauricio Wright, Mauricio Solis, and Pablo Chinchilla made World Cup squads ... Jafet Soto, William Sunsing, and Andy Herron played qualifiers ... Erick Scott has at least ten caps ... even Alejandro Sequeira has been capped. Who am I forgetting? Well, there's Pablo Brenes, but he's starting for Saprissa, who just won another title.

All in all, I find it hard to believe that most of these guys have been nothing more than second stringers in the Costa Rican league. Given their international experience, they must've been among the better players in the league ... which in turn suggests that most players there simply aren't that good.

12. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Yes, in their prime. Not necessarily by the time they reached MLS.

13. Vamos Ticos

Vamos Ticos Member

Jul 18, 2006
    You cant really say Costa Ricans have been bad in this league.

Andy Herron - 2 yrs full of injuries den wen he was finally healthy, showed wat he could do. A player i really like (I noe Morado thinks he sucks tho ;) )
    Gonzalo Segares - Everyday starter, has had 2 solid yrs with Chicago Fire.
    Roy Myers - Good seasons wit Metrostars and especially Galaxy.
    Mauricio Wright - Had a great MLS Career. Always a great defender.
    William Sunsing - His level of play was average for the couple seasons wit NE
    Pablo Brenes - At first had trouble, but ended being a starter for Metrostars and playing well, then decided to go to Saprissa simply becuz they are better than any MLS Club.
    Douglas Sequiera - Great Season wit Chivas USA, Awful season wit RSL
    Michael Umana - Didnt really recieve an opportunity, but i can bet u n e thing he is a solid defender.
    Pablo Chinchilla - Didnt get many minutes, but i remember him scoring 2 goals, and he wasnt bad from the games i saw him play.
    Mauricio Solis - I cant say much about him since i dont really remember watchin him play, i juss noe he was wit SJ Clash.
    Erick Scott - Barely played, but i remember Crew fans would say he deserved more minutes but never got them. MLS killed him cuz he was a good talent but now at his best he is juss average.
    Alejandro Sequeria - always sucked, never liked him.
    Jafet Soto - Couldve stayed, but he said his family wanted to be in Costa Rica. Only played like 2-3 months an scored a spectacular goal against Chivas USA, couldve been a big help next season.

14. Deleted USer

Deleted USer Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    come again? did you mean to say that MLS teams do not take international tournaments serious? that is odd. I did not think that MLS had the luxury to just sit back on their laurels and reminisce about their dominance.

15. Guatefc

Guatefc New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Washington DC
    Nat'l Team:
    Guatemala
    typo ....re-reading and posting on this site takes to much time , but yes what you said is what i intentionally meant.

16. Ken The Man

Ken The Man New Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright, ill comment being a BIG fan of the MLS and the LPCR (as well as a fan of the USMNT and The CRMNT)

Last year saprissa and alajuelense were better then every team in the MLS (not by far)
    This last year though, both teams lost many players...
    Today i think it has equaled out a lot more, But MLS has more teams on the same level, where the costa rican league is dominated by 5 teams

(1st)Best Teams Today: Saprissa, Alajuelence, DC, Houston, NE, LA new addition..
    (2nd)Followed by: Perez zeledon, puntarenas, herediano, The Rest of MLS
    (3rd)The rest of the premiera division

concerning Costa Ricans in MLS
    Herron was the Fires MVP
    sagares was rookie of the year or very close to it and the next year continued his great play
    any costa rican knows Soto should of Led RSL and he probably would of with more time
    Sequiera was good but too inconsistant
    brenes played well
    scott played well

But as said before, these names (becides Soto, and unfortunatly sequera) arent really 1st class, 1st choice costa ricans.
    Wanchope would of led the league in scoring for 4 years straight if RBNY would of signed him.

17. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    i agree in most of what you said, i{d just say that Brenes and Scott did not play well, they sukced.

There are 3-4 costaricans that are gonna join the MLS this year, I hope they do it well