Costa Rica hires former U.S. national coach Sampson

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Treetaliano, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
  2. mattgabe

mattgabe Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Blacksburg, VA
    Thank God. We'll never have to worry about Costa Rica beating us again... :)

On another note, that's about the most Judas-y move you could make, isn't it? I mean, besides going to coach El Tri -- which we all know would never, ever, ever happen.

3. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    what is Costa Rica doing? surely there is someone better than that available. moreover, what is sampson doing? by all accounts, he has been very successful at the youth level since leaving the USMNT and has only been a nightmare in international football. sounds like he is gonna step on his joint again.

4. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Does he get paid $350K per year in youth soccer? Does he get the enjoyable challenge and atmosphere of international soccer? Maybe he'll fail, but if he succeeds, he could be on his way to having a Bora-like niche as a national team coach. If he fails, he'll have a lot more money than he had before.

5. Red&Black

Red&Black Member+

Aug 30, 2001
    Lot 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Burkina Faso
    maybe you are right. personally i wouldn't want to go though what he went through last time around. i only imagine the scruinity (sp) and criticism will only be greater in CR. it wouldn't seem worth it to me.

moreover, if he is as good a youth guy as i have read/heard, i'd rather he was developing our players than trying to eliminate our team.

6. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    Steve had a crap France 98, thats pretty much undebatable, but he is not a bad coach overall, and did pretty well during 98 WCQ and prior.

I think that this is a good step in the overall state of US soccer, when a country that just qualified for the WC, barely missing out on advacnice to the round of sixteen by goal differential and 2 crap offsides calls (vs Turkey) in a group that included the champion and 3rd place finisher hires an AMERICAN to lead it's side.

I wish him luck...except when they take on the US :)

7. Mutineer

Mutineer New Member

Jul 14, 2001
    I never thought I'd see the day when the US started exporting coaches.

I wish Steve well. He's a decent coach that had the misfortune of having to deal with John Harkes' ego in its prime.

8. clashcityrocker

Mar 12, 1999
    In the shadow of RFK
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Big ups to Steve Sampson. First American coach to coach a foreign national team (as far as I know), and a pretty good one, too. It's not he got hired by Martinique.

People need to get over Sampson. '98 is history. Move on. If this isn't a show of respect for American soccer, I don't know what is. That shows you how deep the American soccer fan's religious pathology goes - an American is hired to coach a team whose fans have never respected America's standing as a competitive soccer force, and all some people can see is the Judas of France 1998.

9. Sir Bumpalot

Sir Bumpalot New Member

Dec 1, 2000
    It is impressive that he be the first coach from the US to head another National Team

Riding Bora's Reputation Again Bump ;)

10. mattgabe

mattgabe Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Blacksburg, VA
    I think you misunderstood. He's not a Judas because of '98 -- that was just crap man management and a bunch of old spoiled men who disrupted the team. He's "Judas-y" because he's a US coach who's now the manager of Costa Rica. It's like Sven going to coach Germany or someone from Liverpool going to coach at Everton, etc.

11. Arisrules

Arisrules Member

Feb 19, 2000
    Washington, DC
    I don't look at it like that at all.

'98 was maybe a Burns stop and a Hejduk goal from being a somewhat decent tournament. That's a fact.

The main question is that if he leads Costa Rica to qualification, American soccer will gain as much respect as we gained from the WC. That is a fact

12. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it interesting that he had offers to coach in MLS.

"He added he had turned down various offers to coach in Major League Soccer because he wanted to concentrate on youth football and developing young talent."

I guess he wasn't the soccer outcast that many have claimed in this country.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Huh?

[​IMG] Huh? I still don't see how a Swede deserting England or a Frenchman abandoning Liverpool makes Steve Sampson a traitor.

14. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Re: Re: Costa Rica hires former U.S. national coach Sampson

It's pretty bad, but I guess $$ talks. That'll go a long way in Costa RIca.

15. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Guys - I appreciate that Steve is a Yank, but I don't think this discussion belongs here. I'm going to move to USA Men for merging with the existing thread. Thanks.

16. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    Wow that's dumb.

17. schmuckatelli

schmuckatelli New Member

Nov 10, 2000
    "So here's what we'll do, guys: Paulo, you play up front. You six midfielders, play behind him, then..."

18. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As the years go by, the 3-6-1 and Burns at RB just become funnier!

I'm not going to say anything about the 3-6-1 and Paulo Wanchope being ideal for Sampson's tactics.....oops

When a rival nation brings in one of our own..does this mean 'we have arrived'?

19. kenosha

kenosha New Member

Sep 19, 2001
    West Vancouver, BC
    Sampson might do well?

1. Remember when he took over the USA? The USA never attacked like they did under Sampson his first year. Costa Rica has great attacking players. It could be a fit.

2. As for the Judas label. I disagree. He has to do what is best for him. Let's look at other Judases of note:

Berti Vogts: Scotland
    Maldini: Uruguay
    Milotinovic: pick your country
    Carlos Queiroz: pick your country
    Clemons Westerhoff: The white witch doctor
    Paco Maturana: Ecuador
    Guus Hidink: pick your country

20. SeattleFan

SeattleFan New Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Redmond, WA USA
    Why? Steve is a YA as much as Tom Dooley is?

21. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    True - but this discussion is going on in multiple forums and my feeling is that it's not really something we would cover on Yanks Abroad. On the other hand, if he were coaching a club team, I think we would. Is it something you would like to have covered there?

22. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I understand the needless double-posting is a problem, but I'd say Sampson is closer to being a Yank Abroad than ever having anything to do with the USMNT.

23. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    I actually hope Sampson has a great run in Costa Rica. He could actually blaze a trail for other coaches to get opportunities - heading or assisting a team - abroad, which is a great thing for American soccer. It will also be a GREAT rivalry when Costa Rica plays the US. I'm looking forward to it.

24. drew_VT_6

drew_VT_6 Member

Feb 22, 2000
    Orange County, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say, "GOOD RIDDANCE!"

Paulo may not even go to the next World Cup!

25. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A couple of points -
    - He's no longer involved with the US team, why put this in that forum? He's a Yank Abroad!

- He did a very creditable job qualifying for France '98. I doubt many coaches would have been able to handle some of the player issues and the timing of '98. Brown stuff happens - even to good teams. It wasn't like we got blown out of all our games - like Saudi Arabia. We got beat by a counter attacking Iran - not necessarily a better team.

- Good Luck to Sampson and the Ticos in '06. May they finish second to the Yanks. :)