Cosmos NEW Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by penske, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Elections. The ESDB meets like the third Thursday of every month if I recall correctly. I would expect something from the November meeting if all goes correctly. Otherwise we might need to wait until January.

2. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As expected the ESDC met today and the stadium was not on the agenda given the upcoming elections. I expect we will hear word at the next meeting or may have to wait until January. Next meeting of the ESDC is scheduled for November 21st.

3. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    What is the team saying about the situation? Are they talking with anyone? Are they exploring any other sites in case this continues dragging out or becomes dead in the water?

4. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are playing it low key because of the Elmont folks. I expect this to be approved shortly, they're just handling it low key. There is an alternative option potentially at Aquaduct if needed.

5. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. MattXG

MattXG Red Card

May 17, 2010
    Is there any possibility that the Cosmos could try to get a stadium in Queens where NYCFC was originally planning? Their politicians didn't seem opposed to the idea really and perhaps the sting of losing NYCFC very publicly to the Bronx will make them snap up the Cosmos more readily?

7. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flushing Meadows Corona Park seems to be out in general. Elmont is first choice and according to Penske a few posts above the Aquaduct site in Queens is a fall back...

8. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets be clear, Man City USA wasn't even a thought by the time the stadium deal was dead. It was clear last year the park land wasn't going to be given up without a fight. The single focus is Elmont right now which should be finalized shortly. We can talk alternatives in the future but the team has made clear publicly Elmont is the only option officially, if they say otherwise the deal will get more opposition.

9. MakingGoals

MakingGoals Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Patience is a virtue. Things will happen when they will. As long as we keep moving forward, everything will be more than ok.

penske repped this.
  10. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #85 Sam U El, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
    So... Ed Mangano got re-elected as Nassau County Executive I think the ESDB stayed fairly status quo politically so I expect an announcement regarding the Cosmos Stadium award fairly soon... These are indeed exciting times for Cosmos fans! :geek:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/...victory-thomas-suozzi-concedes-1.6379659?qr=1

11. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  12. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From a political standpoint the governor appoints the head of the board but the make up is dependent on local politics for county/city projects. Having the support of the county exec and state senator are important factors. Mangano has touted low taxes and supporting projects that are privately funded but bring jobs and money into the community like the Cosmos Stadium plan... I think getting past the election clears the way of any possible remaining opposition.

13. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. slc1997

slc1997 Member

Nov 2, 2013
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Why is the stadium so big. I like the cosmos but scale it down a notch. Is it really worth playing in front of 5k in a 25k seat stadium. They might as well make it around 12k and expandable in the future like other NASL stadiums.

15. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Their money, their plan, their choice... Got to love private funding.

16. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    What kind of numbers do you think we'll be looking at if and when that stadium gets built?( attendance wise)

17. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That all depends on where the Cosmos stand as a club when they move into the Stadium. If the stadium plan is approved in January the move in date could be 2016? Do I think they would fill the place to capacity? No but I think based on the MLS trend with SSS 18 to 20k would be an acceptable number 2 to 3 years down the road.

18. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I would love to see those kinds of numbers, who knows in 3 years they may be. I would have liked to see them build a 15 k stadium with the capability of expansion to 30k. Either way we need to raise our average attendance at Shuat stadium next season, that would strengthen the proposal.

Sam U El repped this.
  19. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed... I think next season we'll see an improvement in attendance. I also think that the intital proposal was a wow factor for folks when they didn't have a team. Now that they have a product on the fied and it's a winning product they can always scale it back to phased seating. Still a stadium enhances the legitimacy of the Cosmos Project and gives an "eduring quality" to both the local community and soccer fans at large.

nanoGVSP repped this.
  20. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You are on target!

21. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need to average 8.5k in 2014. Absent the first game we had about 6k per game this year. Some good promotions and a competitive and winning team combined with the WC buzz should get us their. Don't want to see any games next year below 6.5k.

22. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8-10k is a good start I think for next season. If they sign a couple of other decent names in the offseason then I think 8-10k is within reach. Hopefully we will also be able to say that we are the reigning champs and we should have no problem getting those numbers!

If you're not going to Atlanta…take a peek every now and then:
    http://cosmossoccerfan.com

23. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    If you're not going to Atlanta…take a peek every now and then:
    http://cosmossoccerfan.com[/quote]
    This is not the right thread, but..... Where are you planing on pre gaming ? I'm going with a small group, so we'll probably move around a lot,we could stop and have a couple.

24. Cesar T

Cesar T Member

Oct 28, 2013
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is not the right thread, but..... Where are you planing on pre gaming ? I'm going with a small group, so we'll probably move around a lot,we could stop and have a couple.[/quote]

Thanks!
    What thread should I have posted it in?
    We are going in three vans - each with 14 of us. not sure where our stops will be. We can keep in touch via twitter if you want - twitter handle - iamcesart97 (cosmossoccerfan)

25. oneeyedfool

oneeyedfool Member+

Nov 17, 2012
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it is going to be hard to do that at Hofstra, especially if it continues to cost $95 per seat for a seat with a seatback. I'm not sure how many people want to drive out to Long Island and sit in the bleachers to watch NASL soccer. I went to 3 games this year driving in from Pennsylvania which between the tickets for 2 with club seats, gas and tolls probably cost me $240 bucks each time. Not sure how many people would do that even from Jersey or the City. So if you're just looking at the local area, is an 8.5k average reasonable?

brentgoulet repped this.