Cosmos NEW Stadium Thread

Discussion in 'New York Cosmos' started by penske, Aug 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prosoccercdn

Prosoccercdn Member+

Aug 6, 2011
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yeah, best to build in stages ala San Antonio. Start with at most 15K but 12K may be more realistic for the first few years.

2. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they're years from doing that. Hoping they play it smart and build it in stages.

3. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say first things first... Let's see how attendance looks for the next game and the remainder of the fall season before we start looking at attendance potency for a Cosmos SSS that hasn't even been approved yet. TBH, while the news sounds promising I won't be popping any corks until it has final approval. However, when it is approved let the attendance speculation games begin!

4. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bet the farm right now that Stuart stadium will never have higher attendance than 12,000, since thats pretty much capacity. And I am sure that the Cosmos won't fill a 25k-30k stadium while still in the NASL.

5. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree completely regarding Stuart... I was looking more at the deep dive. Do you think they can sustain a sellout crowd for the remainder of the fall season? If they were to sustain sellout attendance at Stuart while the new stadium is being built and remained in NASL do you think moving to a larger venue in 2 years translates to near capcity/capacity crowds?

6. Darkwing McQuack

Darkwing McQuack BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 11, 2011
    Morrisville, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, their attendance for the rest of the half is still up in the air. Although if they continue to play as they are I wouldn't be surprised if the attendance dropped down a bit to around 8k. Which even 8k is a great turn out for a NASL team.

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8,000 is a great average and possible. ~12k sellouts for the rest of 2013 although potentially possible is not realistic.

8. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think NASL Cosmos can pull 25-30K regularly. Besides, only a handful of teams sells out their stadiums regularly. I do think they can do better than the 12K limit at Hofstra with a better roster. While this stadium is very large for an NASL team I think with a quality squad people will show up not at MLS numbers but not far from them either, perhaps 15000. But that is so far down the road that we can't predict with any accuracy.

I do think they can get 25-30K regularly in MLS, which is one possible path this team can take and the path this stadium was truly meant for (and I'm not talking soon, I'm talking being team #23 or 24 or more likely later than that).

9. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One thing for everyone to keep in mind is that the stadium has huge potential for other revenue. Imagine a club friendly each week during the summer. Its accessible via the LIRR and has potential the feature some big name teams but also the New Castles of the world. NYC has enough of a population that 10 friendlies could probably all sell out. Those matches plus concerts help make the stadium very viable even if the Cosmos only draw about 15k.

10. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely... I'm sure a Cosmos SSS would be better than Yankee Stadium for friendlies or even WC Qualifiers and Gold Cup.

11. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I think first things first, we should pack Shuat stadium every game. That would speak volumes about the potential to grow into a 25,000 seat stadium. Building it in stages is not a bad idea because it would be difficult to get 20k for a second division team on a consistent basis, specially with the way these guys are unable to find the net at this point. Friendlies would draw a full house, but how much could you depend on that. As far as worldcup qualifiers, the US has a great deal more home advantage in places like Seattle, and Portland. If the project gets approved the cosmos will grow in popularity just because they'll get more exposure, so they may be able to get closer to 15k consistently.

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I vote for diversity in Cosmos fans avatars. Who is with me?

Bluesfan repped this.
  13. nanoGVSP

nanoGVSP Member+

Jan 31, 2012
    New york
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  14. Sam U El

Sam U El Moderator
    Staff Member

May 31, 2013
    Seoul Korea
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would leave diversity to the NYCFC faithful... Especially since they have no clue what the team colors or logo will be.

15. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    no...8,000 average is just not possible...but this isn't exactly a bad number...

Competition
    NASL
    Date
    August 24 2013
    Kick-off
    7:00pm EDT
    Half-time
    1 - 0
    Full-time
    2 - 1
    Venue
    James M. Shuart Stadium (Hempstead, New York)
    Attendance

16. penske

penske Member

Feb 21, 1999
    NYC
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lets wait another game, its the end if the summer and a lot of people are out of town. For example, i missed tonights game along with the 3 other people I went with for opening game. We will all be at all remaining games but all had planned vacations.

17. AmeriSnob

AmeriSnob Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Queens
    Club:
    New York Cosmos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that was any more or less than expected. This happens with every other team, we're not special in that regard.

eclipse02 repped this.
  18. Ruict

Ruict Member

Oct 10, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the game last night, and it was a bit sad but expected. Still a nice crowd for a 2nd Division game.
    The only other Cosmos games I see going forward that will pack is if they make the playoffs or if they play the Red Bulls or maybe another MLS team. Be honest, you don't really think they can sustain a 15K crowd playing in NASL, do you? I'm one of the Cosmos fans but I'm also realistic. The only way to justify building a beautiful Stadium is to play in MLS. I listened to President of NASL a few days ago on the NASN radio, he stated that he wants to create a vital league so that one day the MLS would consider using Relegation System, (free pass to MLS).
    Personally the only way that's going to happen is if Garber leaves and new MLS president considers, NOT happening anytime soon. Cosmos please 'SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE AND PAY THE F****ING FEE'

19. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks Mr Links, will you be predicting today that the Ravens to win the Super Bowl last last year too? I bet you have a good feeling about ManU for last year too.

I said its possible but not realistic. Learn to read & comprehend in the future.

20. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can point you in so many different directions where I predicted that the Cosmos would average 5000 to 5500 at the end of the season. I don't need to justify myself to you or to anyone else. A moderator should actually moderate and not try and stir up trouble where it doesn't exist.

21. Gaboo

Gaboo Member

Jan 14, 2008
    Singapore
    Club:
    Fortuna Düsseldorf 1895
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Really? He (President of NASL) actually said that?

As for the Cosmos moving forward...I know a lot of people might hate me for this, but in my (very personal) opinion the best thing to happen for everybody involved would be if five years down the road, when the Cosmos sponsorship deal has expired, a stadium has not been built yet and the Cosmos organization realizes that they are not going to get to where they want to be the way they are operating. At the same time Red Bull completely changes its sports marketing strategy and decides to partner up with the Cosmos, re-naming the Red Bulls to Cosmos with Red Bull being the new shirt sponsor and having their brand all over the Cosmos organization (except the logo & name, of course). The Cosmos would then be playing in the state-of-the-art Red Bull Arena. I know a lot of people would hate that because once again, the Cosmos would not actually be in NY but in NJ, which is what a lot of people want to avoid, but at the same time, they would be in MLS (which some of you say "has to happen evenutally"), they would have a mighty partner/sponsor in Red Bull, a great stadium and for the sake of tradition, NJ is where the Cosmos used to play in the past as well, right?

Like I said, I know a lot of you would hate that, but I think this would be the best for the Cosmos, Red Bull, soccer in NY and the US as a whole. Just imagine the insane rivalry with NYCFC this would create. But anyway, that's just my humble opinion and I know that things will never happen this way!

22. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Member+

Jun 23, 2006
    Why do folks always think things like this are because of Garber? Garber is simply the mouth piece of the owners wills and wishes. The owmers and operators of MLS have been clear that they want nothing to do with promo amd relegation in any way shape or form at this time, or any time in the not so near future. If Garber leaves the next guy will say the same exact damn thing. There is zero reason for MLS to want promo and relegation amd no one is forcing it on them. Hell, it's not even close to feasible in todays environment, and if folks think it is, you have no clue.

What's even funnier is that the vast majority of lower league fans I have spoken to over the last few years couldn't care less about promo and relegation. Many think it would be great but realize it makes no sense in todays environment and won't for a long time.

The only place I see this promo/rel stuff is on hardcore net boards coming from a few dozen posters.

All the NASL is doing is playing up to those few hardcores while knowing there is no chance in hell IMO.....and when I say no cahnce in hell it isn't because MLS is forbidding it, it's because they know it dowsn't make sense and they can't do it! Talk about a red herring.

brentgoulet repped this.
  23. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What planet are you on? Where in the world do you think I said Cosmos are going to have great attendance? I have never said that. I said they had potential, because 1) they actually have a stadium that size 2) their fans really want it (winning) and 3) other teams like the Scorps in the same league have actually achieved that attendance.

So stop making up things and stick to copy/pasting links and articles. And let me worry about the moderating.

24. Mr.Smartypants

Mr.Smartypants Red Card

Jul 1, 2010
    Club:
    University College Dublin
    Well your prediction inst looking great so far...two home games (5 to go) and they are averaging over 9 K.....to get to the 5500 high water mark you predicted they would need to avg 3-5K a game from here on out.

25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yes, I agree that my prediction is likely to be off by a thousand or more...but then again we've had no weather related issues here either.