Cosmos attempted rebirth tracking thread

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by SonicDeathMonkey, Oct 25, 2011.

1. SonicDeathMonkey

Atlanta United
    Jun 24, 2008
    Conyers, Ga.
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I am shocked. Shocked!

:rolleyes:

3. SonicDeathMonkey

Atlanta United
    Jun 24, 2008
    Conyers, Ga.
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That the Cosmos are in trouble? Or that Gardner wrote an informative article? :p

4. vmax71

vmax71 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 11, 2002
    high desert
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

thank you captain ... yada yada

5. Omar

Omar Hurrrrr....

Nov 23, 2007
    Monterrey MEX
    Club:
    Club Tigres de la UANL
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  6. mls2010

mls2010 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    was the part about Chuck Blazer being part of a potential ownership group a joke?

7. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    "That's Unpossible!"

8. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    Oh ... That is a good question!

9. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I doubt it. I saw Curtis Martin at a Red Bulls game first-hand, and recall reading something about him possible getting involved in ownership. So it's not hard to connect those dots.

10. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i suppose he was one of the 3 people that was sitting with Garber in one of the luxury suites.

11. fifty7

fifty7 Member

Oct 27, 2010
    Long Island
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I really don't care for the people at the SoHo office with the Cosmos name, but I badly want New York's MLS team to have that branding. Hopefully a responsible ownership group can emerge and buy it from them.

12. Mario in SJ

Mario in SJ Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Connecting the dots in my head... Chuck Blazer quitting CONCACAF and gets involved in NY2. Saudi money behind the Cosmos. Seems a perfect fit, FIFA EXCO power (he has 3 more years) gets together with lots of money for new franchise provides great soccer credibility.

They do however need some political pull in NY, not sure if Curtis Martin can bring that.

13. tk421

tk421 Member

Aug 11, 2007
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm of two minds on this one. Having the Cosmos back would be huge for the league, in that the Cosmos are the most recognizable American soccer brand there is.. Having the Cosmos come back would be a huge media boost maybe large enough to rival Beckham.

However, the Cosmos brand was built on being a super club. Clearly that is going to be an issue with MLS's salary cap and other limitations. If the Cosmos don't have the right owners and aren't able to successfully navigate MLS's restrictions all that media attention could turn into a lot of negayive press for the league.

What is apparent is that the current owners of the Cosmos brand are not the right owners to build a successful MLS franchise. They strike me as flippers. That bought the brand just so that they could rebuild it and then sell it to someone who really was interested in a MLS team.

15. mls2010

mls2010 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Makes sense.

Here is my question: Would you guys rather have World Cup 2022 in the USA or a permanent second franchise in NY? Because it seems Chuck Blazer and his corruption was in cahoots with Qatar but now could be in cahoots with MLS.

16. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    i never thought a group that had PK was going to pass muster with Garber and the other owners. and i never particularly liked this ownership group.

but i do like the Cosmos brand and think it would be a boon for the league if the 20th team had that branding ... BUT ONLY IF it was owned/operated by a good ownership group ... and the current group that owns that brand and is seeking an MLS expansion franchise is not that kind of group imho.

so i hope that some good ownership group can be found for NY20 and that they can buy out/absorb the other group so that NY20 can be branded NY Cosmos. we laugh at the "nostaliga" of it sometimes but that kind of instant already established brand recognition and history would make a serious impact and be a whole new sort of expansion team.

MLS can only be helped from a marketing and pr and buzz perspective if they add the NY Cosmos to the league ... for better or worse they are the most significant single team in US soccer history and i'd personally like to see that name back in our US professional league ... just not with these current owners of that brand name in charge.

17. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After 16 years of MLS do people still think this is the case? I.e., it you polled a random 1000 Americans to name American soccer teams are people more likely to say New York Cosmos as opposed to LA Galaxy or Seattle Sounders?

I personally doubt it but I'm on the west coast so maybe I don't know the reality.

18. OleGunnar20

OleGunnar20 Member+

Dec 7, 2009
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    the fact that it is still even debatable after the team being defunct for so long tells you everything you need to know about the strength of the cosmos brand domestically. and world wide? it isn't even a contest ...

19. mls2010

mls2010 Member

Aug 6, 2005
    I think for an older demographic the Cosmos brand is big. But I think in the important demographic, 18-35 males, the name does not matter all that much. Maybe instead we should call them the NY Metros. That is an old brand from the past that might have some cachet. :)

20. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    If I were the Red Bulls i would definitely buy the rights to the name and then just sit on it.

A second new york team, named the Cosmos, could have a meteoric impact on the Red Bulls fan base. Especially the longer we're toiling in mediocrity.

I think any other NY2 team is far less damaging.

21. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    Hard to say on a national level but the Cosmos have enormous brand recognition in NYC to this day.

22. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the media that would be writing about the expansion club, I'd say the Cosmos are as recognizable as any current MLS team. For random schmuck on the street? If they are mid-30s or older, I might be tempted to give the Cosmos the nod.

23. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with this.

24. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To me, the Cosmos name is as associated with failure and ineptitude thanks to the recent shenanigans as it is with the halcyon days of the 1970s. These guys have been truly awful. Now you arguably have a scenario where the current iteration - the one that matters most for attempting to get into MLS - outweighs the old version except to casual fans and folks mostly interested in the brand name. But it isn't a brand name MLS would want, it's an NY2 franchise, and right now the Cosmos crew is not in anyone's interest.

Ownership group first, then brand. This obsession with brand first, then ownership if it can be cobbled together perplexes me.

25. SJTillIDie

SJTillIDie Member+

Aug 23, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think this paragraph is very apt. I just got back from a trip to England and I found an entire rack of Cosmos gear for sale in multiple sporting goods stores in both London and Bristol.