Corridor Cup

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by JohnnyRev, Aug 11, 2002.

1. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Chicago and Dallas have a rivalry cup: the Brimstone Cup. We heard about it ad nauseam during the Chicago/Dallas broadcast yesterday.

How about the Corridor Cup, named after the Northeast Corridor: Revs, Metros, and DC United.

Any thoughts on the shape of the tropy?

2. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think DC and New York already has a cup, I believe it's called the American Cup. I was just talking about this to my friend, and we figured out that 4 teams don't have a real rivarly, New England, Columbus, Kansas City, and Colorado.

4. Atlantic Cup, not American

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    close enough, otherwise, Revs should be included, since they have the traditional Mass/NY rivalry and they are on the Atlantic Coast. Plus it would put a good spin on the games, having to beat two teams instead of one.

6. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say we just put the 4 non-rivaled teams in cups to make a rivalry.
    NE - CLB
    COL - KC

7. glennmcdonald

glennmcdonald Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
    And the Revs/Crew cup can be called the Watson Mug, awarded not to the winner but to the team that sabotages its own chances most thoroughly during the course of the year's matches...

8. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    How about the Kamler Cup. Brian K is the only one I can think of who has played on all three teams.

9. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    The Revs could play the Rapids for the "Allocation Cup"... Well, last year they could have, anyway!

10. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    is this a golf reference?

if so, i'd rather see the greg norman grail up for grabs. come on...there's no bigger "choker" than the shark.

11. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    I'd rather have no aspect of golf related to soccer. So why not just give the mutts another cup to go after? They are kinda the closest thing to a rival we got.

12. glennmcdonald

glennmcdonald Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    Estonia
    Golf?!

I am very sad that my excellent "Watson Mug" joke has been mistaken for some kind of golf reference. Where is your knowledge of Revolution history? Please try again, noting these clues:

- "Watson"
    - "Mug"
    - historical basis for proposed rivalry with Columbus Crew

13. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    There are league games, there are US Open Cup games and sometimes there are international games.

We don't need no pseudo-named games.

Get off the Euro-wannabe kick.

This is American soccer now folks. At least that's what the MLS and USSF suits have been tellin' us since Korea/Japan.

14. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Sorry, Big Frank, but I'm no "Euro-wannabe."

I just think a "cup" might add a further spark of interest to these particular games.

I'm sorry if you're offended by the thought, but in response I can only say "take a hike."

15. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has less to do with a cup, per se, but an artificially created one, like those lame-0 suits down in Dee-Cee (you know the ones, the guys who write press releases that refer to United as "the red and black").

These suits decided to create a cup vs the Mutts, which is less offensive on the surface until you realize that they lied about the thing being fan-generated, when the club decided it would make the NJ derby a bigger deal and therefore, easier to sell tickets to.

I have no problem whatsoever with a natural rivalry developing--we've got a pretty good thing going with the Mutts--but you can not force a "new tradition" on us and expect people to jump on the bandwagon.

If everything is "special," then in reality nothing is special.

Tom

16. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Hear, hear!

17. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i pretty much agree with you, the cup would fire up the team.

18. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I hate to bring this up, but we're not really competitive enough with the Metros to start a rivalry with them. Don't you think that we'd look silly challenging the Metros to some sort of Cup and then getting swept? We'd be better off starting something up with Chicago.

19. Steve_R

Steve_R Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Somerville, MA
    Well if we're going to pride ourselves on losing why not throw in another opportunity to lose something important? Only makes sense to me...

20. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA

21. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Tom:

I have no idea what you're talking about. I am not a "suit" trying to force anything on anyone. I have no connection to the Revs or any other team.

I am a fan. It's my own idea alone that I posted. How am I trying to "force" a "new tradition" on anyone?

I look forward to your explanation.

22. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    both cups (Atlantic and Brimstone) were created by the fans, not front office or your "suits". Look what the Brimstone Cup has done to Chicago and Dallas, look how much pride they play with, and its like that every minute of the game.

23. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the Athletic Cup? Just imagine the design of that one....

24. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnny Rev, this has nothing to do with you. I was commenting on how this "cup" that DC United have started with the Metros is a totally artificial creation by the front office, and they had the audacity to try and make it seem like it was a fan movement. (JMMUSA8, you ought to ask the Metro fans what their take is on this. It was definitely not "created by fans."

The only thing I'm saying here is that if something takes root on it's own, that's great, but someone decides to create an artificial rivaly based on a "cup" with some other team, well, let's just say there are other more important things to spend one's energy on.

Tom

25. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    Hey, I hate the Mutts, regardless of how much better they are.