Coronavirus Cancellations

Discussion in 'TV, Satellite & Radio' started by Art Deco, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Looks like here is where things stand with respect to the top European Leagues as of the moment. This is all subject to change by the hour:

Premier League: Playing, but behind closed doors
    Serie A: Suspended
    Bundesliga: Playing, but behind closed doors (may suspend later today)
    La Liga: Suspended
    Ligue 1: Playing, but behind closed doors

Would imagine the Cup competitions in each country will follow what the league is doing. Also the international matches in two weeks are a big question mark

MLS: Games in Seattle & San Jose postponed, league still going on at the moment

Right now the only effect on US TV would be that BeIN will likely be showing a lot more Ligue 1 on its main channels than Connect with La Liga suspended, although unsurprisingly their schedule still shows La Liga.

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the NBA suspended, I wonder if that means more MLS on ESPN. I'll admit that I haven't looked into the possibility, but I seem to remember MLS moving into ESPN slots when the NHL wasn't playing, due to their lockout.

3. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Update: Reports are that MLS is suspending its season

4. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not surprised. The ironic(?) news is that the earlier start to the season was supposed to get out from under the November international window.

It's a 30-day suspension.

Here's a news article about MLS:
    https://nypost.com/2020/03/12/mls-suspends-season-due-to-coronavirus/

5. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Update: As of Thursday night, the Premier League is going ahead with all matches with fans in attendance.

Also the Copa Libertadores has suspended the competition effective next week (today's games are still being played as I type this).

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "The U.S. men will not travel to Europe later this month for friendlies against the Netherlands and Wales. Additionally, the world champion U.S. women’s national team’s games against Australia and Brazil, scheduled for April 10 in Sandy, Utah and April 14 in San Jose, California, are also going to be called off, the sources said."

https://sports.yahoo.com/usmnt-and-...f-coronavirus-pandemic-sources-150733570.html

Your on-screen program guides are going to be an absolute mess for the next couple days.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #7 Kryptonite, Mar 12, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    The Arsenal manager tested positive and the whole first team is under quarantine.

Brighton and Hove Albion vs Arsenal is obviously postponed.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/5186544

UEFA has postponed the Manchester City vs. Real Madrid and Juventus vs. Lyon Champions League round-of-16 second-leg games scheduled for Tuesday because of fears over the coronavirus.

UEFA will discuss the postponement of Euro 2020 and potential cancellation of this season's Champions League and Europa League during an emergency video conference involving all 55 European football associations next Tuesday, sources have told ESPN.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-ch...s-two-champions-league-games-over-coronavirus

8. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    #9 Art Deco, Mar 13, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    ....and there goes the Premier League, not surprising given that players/managers for Arsenal, Leicester and Chelsea have tested positive, delayed until at least April 4: https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ball-set-for-shutdown-due-to-coronavirus-live
    The EFL has joined suit.

Also, UEFA has postponed all of next weeks UCL/Europa matches, Ligue 1 has now shut down, and after this weekend, Bundesliga will go on hiatus so basically everyone's shut down now.

So enjoy this weekend's Bundesliga matches while you can! Oh wait, you can't, at least on Saturday unless you have FS+ as Fox, losing the rights at the end of the season, has decided to show other stuff on FS1 and FS2.

9. bigtw64

bigtw64 Member+

Aug 16, 2003
    florida
    Club:
    Birmingham City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    NBCSN has an extended Sky Sports news show today from 0700 - 1300 ET with all the grim postponement news

10. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we'll all immerse ourselves in Liga MX and Argentine Copa de La Superliga for the time being (until those are also cancelled).

11. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Yeah...I also got some Gordon Ramsay shows on file. Binge watching is gonna be everybody's national pastime at this point :D

12. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    I have something like 13 Copa Libertadores matches from this week on the DVR, the 4 Europa League matches from yesterday to watch on B/R before my sub runs out in a week, a few Portuguese matches from the last matchday, the midweek makeup matches from the Bundesliga & La Liga, and I'll add this weekend's full Bundesliga slate, so I can stretch things out for a couple of weeks.

After that it's time to dive into all the TV/movies I've been meaning to watch but never got around to with all the soccer.

13. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Turkey said they aren’t canceling jack.

They even played the women’s volleyball champions league match. Haha

Also Estonia suspended the league until May. Yes, I watch it. I’m nuts. Haha

14. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Well at the last minute today the Bundesliga postponed this weekend's matches they were planning to play behind closed doors, so my strategic soccer reserve just dwindled by 9 matches.

15. Lovac1

Lovac1 Member

Jun 6, 2012
    I think Russia and Turkey are only major european leagues playing this weekend.

16. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why is Tijuana-Pachuca on ESPN Deportes? I thought Tijuana was Fox.

17. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ukraine as well...

18. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    FOX sublicensed the game out to ESPN. TUDN does the same sometimes with their games.

19. daniloni

daniloni Member+

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Jul 17, 2013
    Oakland, CA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was weird because FS1 or FS2 had an old Tijuana game on and Fox Deportes had nothing of note, but perhaps a live event had been scheduled prior to being cancelled.

20. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. alexolympiacos

Mar 5, 2010
    Club:
    Olympiakos Piraeus
    Russia pulled the plug.

Ukraine and Turkey still scheduled for this weekend.

Turkey isn’t going down without a fight it seems.

Pretty soon we will just move everything over there.

22. Redbullsnation2012

May 26, 2010
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ukraine just suspended their league. The A-League is still on tho

23. Art Deco

Art Deco Member

Dec 10, 2009
    We're about at the point where we'll have to watch people playing FIFA20 on Twitch to get our fix.

Redbullsnation2012 repped this.