NSR: Coronavirus: A global Pandemic.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    USAF is practically an evangelical organization.
    God loves bombers.

dapip repped this.
  2. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You're full of shit. I haven't seen one person on here (except me*) who's rooting for disaster. You're projecting, as usual.

*My business takes off when the economy is shit.

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Make them work for the Trump government:

xtomx repped this.
  4. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And they fly closer to him!!

5. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    roby, usscouse and Chesco United repped this.
  6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    More like we’re very concerned about the ineptitude of the White House and the senate to handle a severe emergency. On top of that, Trump is purging never-Trumpers from government, i.e. career professionals and capable bureaucrats, precisely the kind of people needed in an emergency.

Heckuva job Brownie!!!

sitruc repped this.
  7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    just a closer flight with thee...

JohnR and dapip repped this.
  8. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are conflating travel bans given the proximity that they were announced. The criticism I saw from Pelosi was related to Trump’s expansion of the travel ban to include 6 more countries. Not the ban on foreign nationals coming from China..

i could have missed it, tho. If you have a link...

sitruc repped this.
  9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    You're not watching the news, suddenly the Corona virus is a campaign issue. And to not acknowledge the posts here blaming OrangeManBad is simply turning a blind eye.

I have faith in the CDC when it comes to this outbreak, but not so much in the order border crowd so well represented here, and certainly not the Chinese. Anyway, most of this virus is unknown and the biggest threats are from outside our borders. Even Europe is clamping down and limiting movement, and I hear the IOC are considering canceling the Olympics.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Trump being bad all depends. Did he take money from the CDC for his Vanity Wall?

11. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    I get all my news from this forum.

That's too bad because I've been pondering whether Mikaela Shiffrin is the world's most dominant athlete. She's more dominant in her sport right now than Lebron or Messi ever were.

xtomx repped this.
  12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Are you a bankruptcy attorney?

Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  13. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Or a repo man?

+PL+ and Q*bert Jones III repped this.
  14. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    or a property owner, who instead of selling houses, rent's them out?

15. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    She's not a Summer Olympics athlete.

16. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    What difference does that make?

Cascarino's Pizzeria, dapip and Moishe repped this.
  17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Apparently I won't have to....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/27/...istleblower.html?referringSource=articleShare

Federal health employees interacted with Americans quarantined for possible exposure to the coronavirus without proper medical training or protective gear, then scattered into the general population, according to a government whistle-blower who lawmakers say faced retaliation for reporting concerns.

The team was “improperly deployed” to two military bases in California to assist the processing of Americans who had been evacuated from coronavirus hot zones in China and elsewhere, according to a portion of a narrative account shared with Congress and obtained by The New York Times ahead of a formal complaint to the Office of the Special Counsel, an independent government agency that handles federal whistle-blower complaints.

Staff members from the Department of Health and Human Services’ Administration for Children and Families were sent to Travis Air Force Base and March Air Reserve Base in late January and early February and were ordered to enter quarantined areas, including a hangar where coronavirus evacuees were being received, the complaint said. They were not provided safety-protocol training until five days into their assignment, said the whistle-blower, who is described as a senior leader at the health agency.

Without proper training or equipment, some of the exposed staff members moved freely around and off the bases, with at least one person staying in a nearby hotel and leaving California on a commercial flight. Many were unaware of the need to test their temperatures three times a day.

sitruc, fatbastard and usscouse repped this.
  18. usscouse

usscouse BigSoccer Supporter

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    Rachel just had a rave over this and had a virus expert try and explain it. He really couldn’t

19. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    “One day like a miracle it will disappear” Trump has ordained...!!!

President Donald Trump expressed optimism Thursday that the novel coronavirus would eventually be contained and eliminated in the United States, even as he acknowledged it could get worse first.

“It’s going to disappear. One day it’s like a miracle, it will disappear,” Trump told attendees at an African American History Month reception in the White House Cabinet Room. The World Health Organization says the virus has “pandemic potential” and medical experts have warned it will spread in the US.

20. usscouse

May 3, 2002
    Orygun coast
    They should have had an official White House reception to welcome them home. Perhaps even with Trump pinning medals on a few as they coughed on him.

ElNaranja, song219 and dapip repped this.
  21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

22. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It was between Pence and Jared...

23. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The (so-called) mayor of Tokyo's Olympic Village agrees:

http://www.startribune.com/tokyo-ioc-officials-reiterate-that-the-olympics-are-on/567822962/

24. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    If the Coronavirus doesn't spread in the US, I would actually become suspicious.(1) Otherwise, a virus with a long incubation period during which it can be spread unknowingly, which has already affected enough people in different regions in different continents, would be expected to eventually spread across any country that hasn't been closed off from the rest of the world. There is no (publicly revealed) specialized treatment, cure or vaccine that would make Americans more or less vulnerable to it than others either.

In the meantime, without wanting to sound alarmist, let me mention that I have read of several deaths linked to the virus involving those who didn't appear to fit the profile of older or ill people with compromised immune systems. And that raises additional concerns and leaves me to question whether we know enough about the virus to rely too much on those who stress its 'low mortality' causing propensities and such. Never mind even 2 - 5% of a huge population of infected people (if the virus spreads as widely as some experts warn) is itself a huge number of people, the less the fatalities from the virus are restricted to any identifiable class of people (e.g.,the elderly, diabetics etc), the more widespread fears about the virus will be. And that fear itself, regardless of what any government will try to do to contain the panic and its repercussions, will have huge socio-economic and even political ramifications.​
    ---------------
    ---------------
    (1) Already, among Iranians, this virus has done more to cause disillusionment and lack of confidence in its government than all the actions taken by the US against Iran combined! Which is why, coupled with the fact that the virus in Iran began at the epicenter of Iran's theocracy, namely Qum, and has disproportionately affected mid-to-upper level government and semi-political functionaries (which means the kind of people who are best situated to spread the virus in both directions, both to the highest levels in the government as well as to the average person in the streets), and also given the volume of rhetoric and propaganda using the Coronavirus as a political ax against the regime going back to when there weren't even any reported cases in Iran, I can't totally dismiss some of the 'conspiracy minded' concerns about this virus you sometimes hear from certain people either. A virus that begins in China, and hurts it economically, and finds its largest next victim among people in Qum in Iran (and among Iranian officials), and which in the Iranian context has an even greater chance of spreading all over the country, does raise suspicions if it is then somehow (absent some publicly revealed treatment, cure or vaccine) contained in America.