NSR: Coronavirus: A global Pandemic.

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You mean like this ? (not sure if posted here already)

“Over the last 14 days I have built another business outside politics and will be focusing my full attention there,” he wrote in the email, which was obtained by POLITICO.

The fundraiser, Mike Gula, didn’t specify his new line of work in the email. But in an interview, he said he’d started a new company selling medical equipment that’s been in short supply during the coronavirus pandemic.

The company, Blue Flame Medical LLC, was formed Monday in Delaware, according to state records. Its website says it sells coronavirus testing kits, N95 respirator masks, “a wide selection” of personal protective equipment and other “hard to find medical supplies to beat the outbreak.”

Asked how he’d managed to procure such equipment when there are shortages in hospitals across the country, Gula said, “I have relationships with a lot of people.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/03/27/republican-fundraiser-company-coronavirus-152184

2. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Paging @Belgian guy. Please explain the Belgian situation

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    My mask smells like bread.

luftmensch and Knave repped this.
  4. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    No, that isn't quite right. Let me try again.

MyMask.png

5. Deadtigers

Deadtigers Member+

Jul 23, 2015
    Independent Republic of the Bronx, NY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana
    Go Blue??

soccernutter repped this.
  6. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    NZ has now published its guidance to transition from level 4 lockdown to level 3 and then 2

Level 3 is designated as a "waiting room" between level 4 (extreme lockdown) and level 2 (mainly lockdown of high risk / over 70s)

In particular of our 15 new cases today, 11 come from known outbreaks so are contained.

This now opens the possibility for a broad reopening, with situational or regional lockdowns if fresh outbreaks occur

Again the value of go hard / go early is that our total population of infected is geometrically less than Germany for example. Australia has about 4x the cases of NZ, but also in a great position to exit lockdown. Germany on the other hand has 100x cases and well over 100x new cases per day

I think this answers part of the exit strategy. In terms of new outbreaks, best to lock down hard immediately, but perhaps only locally.

7. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My boss noted that it's best not to eat a garlicky lunch in these days of masks.

8. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Eating chocolate make it smell nice, but only for like 10 minutes.

Not that the bread thing is bad. But it makes me hungry all day. I bought a package of stale bagels and wolfed down a couple right after work which isn't really normal for me.

9. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    The simple reason why our numbers are so elevated is that we seem to count differently than most.

We count all suspected COVID-19 fatalities, not just those that are confirmed by a test. Our numbers also include all people who died in care homes. Neither is true for many other countries, even among those with horrifically bad numbers.

So yeah, we are not doing great in terms of the sheer number of deaths, but the image is distorted comparison-wise because we count a lot of people other countries don't, for whatever reason.

I cannot help but think that the differences in counting are fueled by ordinary political opportunism/cynicism.

10. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States