Corona-cation 2020

Discussion in 'Atlanta United FC' started by GunnerJacket, Mar 14, 2020.

1. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    He is risen!

2. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am up to 50 juggles and would have gone farther but the neighbor called and said I should put on pants. His wife dropped off cookies.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Killjoy!

I now await the viral video of the tightie-whitie keepie-uppie challenge!

4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Yossarian, the gauntlet has been thrown down.

5. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confused as to whether I'm being challenged in keepie ups or strolling around in my drawers or both?
    :D

GunnerJacket repped this.
  6. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just got a call from the Atlanta United ticketing offices advising ST holders about the prospects for the season, what the team is considering in how to handle rebates or shifting payments toward next season, and asking us our preferences. The guy who called me seemed to think some games behind closed doors was inevitable and said the biggest issue some teams will face will be scheduling the adjusted games amidst other events and/or in a fashion to appease TV interests. Said this fall's sports programming will be EXTREMELY crowded and MLS is doing what it can to ensure they keep prime air time and retain contract value. He didn't say that might mean games on odd nights but as he said that I could see that somehow slipping into the discussions.

After hearing from him I said thanks for calling and if possible go back to the darker shade of red in our unis next year!

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thanks for this info. FWIW, I'm cool with the stoppage continuing until Josef is healed and 100%, even if we don't start back until 2021. I won't be at the Benz this year, that's for sure. Wouldn't have gone to Nashville if I'd been made aware at the time.

As for the kits, I was under the impression (from reading various social media comments on our dog-ugly home kits) that Adidas sends us whatever they decide to send us, and that MLS doesn't get involved. How much more difficult would it have been to send each MLS team some software, nothing more in-depth than you saw from FIFA and PES, and say, "choose what you want and send it back to us"? I'd be happy just to get the black off the backs of the shirts, but I'm on board with getting our original red back, too.

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So.... I have the Groupon app on my phone and get all sorts of alerts about their deals for the day. I always enjoy seeing how they abbreviate the message for certain things on the email alerts. "Chewable ED treatments!" for instance, always gets me.

Anyway if you're looking for acreage I see they have 65% off property... on Mars! Just $12 per acre! Act now!

9. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I am in for 30 acres and a Moscow Mule.

10. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Mmmm. Moscow mule sounds good about now!

So, what's the over/under on how many people will rush to the newly opened tattoo parlors to get a "Covid 19" related mark? I'm guessing 5-10 in metro Atlanta. Will monitor instagram for the latest brandings.

11. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Our governor is standing firm as of today. I don't need a barber (lol), and I'm not getting a tat. Never thought I'd see Alabama outshine Georgia in anything but schoolboy gridiron. I mean, even Atlanta couldn't save you from the rest of the state.

Anyhow, enough of that. I'm looking forward to seeing this team again in this place

HUDDLE.jpg

...next year.

The FB idiots are seemingly unaware that our best scorer is still on the mend. Selfish of them to even think of wanting to see a battle when our chances of winning the war have been so greatly reduced for the next few months. Scratch this year and go from there.

Atlanta Damn United 2021!

12. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Of course, MLS will probably find a way to go forward behind closed doors, and we won't have Josef back yet.

13. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    50 is the score, and you can wear what you want, but if you like cookies I'd juggle in tight fitting whitiesl

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I reached 27 on Sunday. First substantial time with a ball in maybe 9 months. Maybe it was the boxers.

15. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Never fear, sir. Whatever the outcome this is temporary. At some point the team will play again, there will be meaningful games again, and we will fill MBS again. We waited for decades for this country to field a decent league and then decades more for Atlanta to sport their team. Given what we've done in such a short time with all the pieces together I can afford to wait a few more months if need be.

16. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I blame all this on Frank de Boer.

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Literally decades. Once my family moved back to Ala-dama-bama after my 6th grade year, soccer disappeared from my radar for almost a decade (band and other stuff took over, but it wasn't really there anyhow). The previous three years we were living in DC Metro and it seemed like half the residents of the apt complex worked at this or that embassy. The English kid's dad whose family lived below us was an employee and all these embassies had rec teams. He'd scoop us up on some Saturdays and we'd go downtown and there was this loooong street near the Mall where it was one pitch after the other. One move took me from that to a bunch of numpties yelling "Roll Tide!".

I sometimes say to haters that they were given an opportunity right off the bat, because someone in their town was willing to put up the $$ to join the league. OTOH, we waited 22 seasons for our club.

18. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    125 and the board is going to ban me because I called the Asian contagion the Kung Flu. I am old, but not old enough to remember, what did we call the Spanish Flu back in 1917?

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Hey, all. Just wanted to say I hope everyone is hanging in there. Things have been strange and quiet for a spell, now they're beginning to take on greater financial urgency for many. I'd love to have near normalcy, let alone soccer, but know we first need to be smart and healthy.

So I'll check the board regularly and if anyone needs to chat, vent, reach out for any reason feel free to PM me. Happy to just be a sounding board during this odd time. Otherwise it's fine that the board is quiet as we concentrate on other things.

So, I wish you all well and know we'll get to chat footie again someday, but until then be with those that you can and stay safe.

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  20. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Hunkered down over here, not leaving home for anything but food and water. You all stay safe.

21. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    A) Happy Mother's Day to all the mom's out there!

B) AUFC vs ORL in the eMLS tournament right now. Escobar vs. Nani for the first leg as the player reps.

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Atlanta makes the final four. Comfortable R16 victory over Orlando then eking out a 2-3 win (aggregate) over Toronto.

Next week they play NYCFC in the Semis. LAF vs SKC in the other half of the bracket.

23. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Spanking Orlando does not have the same satisfaction when we are talking about eSports.

24. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I really feel for soccer seniors (high school kids, not old farts like me). I remember back in the day when they made us play in the winter so I had to choose between basketball and soccer. Unlike today, high school soccer was a cold, wet, muddy mess in DeKalb county, with coaches that didn't understand a ball that didn't have points on the end. My senior year they moved soccer to the spring and it was glorious. I am sorry for the kids that lost that magic season.

25. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's that bad...

I've been considering doing another "Manager Mode" Master League on PES2008 (PS2). Manager Mode is what I call letting the CPU play the game out while I control tactics, lineup and subs. I'm too lazy to work on improving my controller skills, so I went thru several versions of PES where I was too good for one level and not good enough for the next. I have PES2011, but there's extra financial stuff in that year's ML that I don't want to deal with. I'll create AFC Bournemouth, I guess, because they're wearing something similar to us.

It's that bad...