Corner kicks

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Metrogo, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I just have not been able to keep up with the Metros this year as I have in previous years, so please, can someone explain to me why Eddie Gaven (who otherwise played a very good game) was taking the corner kicks. Each one seemed to be a floating waste of possession. Wasn't there someone on the pitch for us who would have done a better job? I mean, I'm not a big fan of your best goal scorer taking corner kicks, but your best goal scorer isn't going to score with service like that. So might it have been better for Clint to take them?

Confused from Brooklyn.

2. PSsoccer123

PSsoccer123 New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Guevara usually takes them but he was suspended for yellow acculmalation. I didn't think Gaven's corners were that bad. Mathis should have scored on one, and we came close on a few other occasions.

3. Goalkeeps7

Goalkeeps7 Member

Apr 1, 1999
    I'd much rather have Gaven's soft crosses to the far post, then the consistant shltty corners from Guevara. His corners can't seem to reach the near corner of the 6. And it's been like this for months. I've seen it not just on field turf, but also on the friendly kentucky bluegrass of Columbus Crew Stad.

So as long as we can get it into the box, I'll be happy enough.

4. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magee has actually been our most effective player on corners this season and I too thought Gaven was actually good tonight as Clint just missed on one. Geuvera to me has not been that effective taking corners as I would have anticipated.

5. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I was thinking the same thing.

Even if a Metro gets their head on the ball, there's not enough pace on it to direct it hard enough to the goal. Bradley must have liked what he saw at practice, but in the actual game Gaven's corners were more like chip-shots.

6. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Gaven's first corner was the only bad one. Mathis got all the pace he needed on one of them but just put it wide. Now imagine if clint was taking them, do u think Gaven would of done the same with that header that Clint got off. Mathis must always be in the box no matter who has to take corners.

7. metrosct

metrosct New Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Rowayton, CT
    Gaven's corners were some of the worst I've seen. I'd much rather have Clint take them if Magee isn't in the game.

It would also be nice if our wingers knew how to cross the ball. I realize that Leitch is primarily a defensive player but the guy can't cross to save his life.

8. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    This is exactly right, it doesn't matter if it lands in the box. You can't score off a header if there is no pace. I'm not putting down the kid, he played a good game. But if you were satisfied witht he Metros corners, your standards are very, very low. Like junior high school low.

9. edwinchile

edwinchile New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    santiago-chile
    As an experienced corner-kicker myself I can say that, after 25 years of taking them, the best corner-kicks are the ones that land 4 yards past the penalty-dot. That's where your strong, tall guys should show up (not standing there already ofcourse! That way you lose power). If they run in and head the ball over there, they are hard to defend against and most of the time the goalie is in between too many people to jump for it. Trust me, I know. Never, ever try and curl it in yourself, because that's all up to luck. Also never aim for the 5yrd box, thats for the goalie. Nope, in between 5 yrd and penalty-dot, 5 yards past it. But you need a good kicker to do it. Corner kicks on the left of goalie always by left-footed player. On the right with a right footed one. It's simple. It's only soccer after all.

10. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    For all you corner kick aficionados out there.

How would you rate Tab Ramos's corner kicks with the Metros. He took them for years were they any good? If they weren't why did he continue to take them?

Richie

11. In Bob We Trust

In Bob We Trust New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    no ABMOD relation i hope, hehe

12. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Oh, I was going to doubt you, but when you put it that way, of course, you must be right.

13. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thought it was 6yrds not 5 yards and always to aim for the "second six", that is from 6 to 12 yrds out from goal, which is most difficult for GK to defend and also dangerous for strikes.

14. Richie

Richie Red Card

May 6, 1999
    Brooklyn, NY, United
    The most important thing for any corner or cross is keep them on the playing field, and getting them over the closest defender to the ball.

You don't want a corner played behind your mids. That could lead to a big problem.

You want mutiple players to have a chance to put in a corner and not just one player.

Want the corner moving away from the keeper in most cases.

15. edwinchile

edwinchile New Member

Aug 5, 2003
    santiago-chile
    5 yards, 6 yards? Being European I don't know the exact measurements of course. (As most of the world works with meters)
    But you know what I am talking about.