Cops: High school soccer player ‘sucker-punched’ referee

Discussion in 'Referee' started by Bubba Atlanta, May 12, 2015.

1. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    From today's Atlanta paper:

Wasn't me.

More:

http://www.wsbtv.com/videos/news/student-charged-with-punching-referee/vDSCHt/

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/student-soccer-player-charged-attack-referee/nmFLD/

2. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    This kid is in trouble.
    He's 18 and an adult.
    In GA, assaulting a sports official is considered a "high or aggravated" misdemeanor.
    He can do up to a year in jail and a $5000 fine.

3. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    He should get both

4. La Rikardo

La Rikardo Moderator

May 9, 2011
    nj
    Wow. Bubba, do you know this referee?

coreyrock repped this.
  5. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    #5 Bubba Atlanta, May 12, 2015
    Last edited: May 12, 2015
    No, I don't.

Coming after the tragic death last year of John Bieniewicz, this is pretty stunning to see in a HS game - especially one so close to home.

I think it's all too easy to get a little complacent out there. I was briefly surrounded by hostile players and fans at the end of a game last year. It was pretty spooky but I didn't think much of it at the time, didn't even report it, although in retrospect I should have.

This is another wake-up call.

6. RefLI

RefLI Member

Nov 4, 2013
    New York
    I really hope they send the right message and he does jail time. The fine would be icing on the cake...

7. Baka_Shinpan

Baka_Shinpan Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Between the posts
    Club:
    Vegalta Sendai
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    From the WSB story: "Sweatt said student athletes take their cues from the sidelines, so it is up to coaches and parents to set the right example."

So Bubba, does Chattahoochee or its coach have a reputation for bad behavior, or is this just a one off thing for them? Looks like they were carrying some big expectations for the playoffs - although it does look like they play in a weak region.

8. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    I expect Mark was speaking in general terms, not specifically.

9. drummer68

drummer68 Member

Sep 17, 2005
    If you're a GSOA member, we've been BEGGING the membership to report incidents like this. The association can't protect you if you don't let us know.

Chas (Psyatika) repped this.
  10. drummer68

drummer68 Member

Sep 17, 2005
    Les is one of our more "spirited" coaches, as is his assistant, Eduardo. Speaking plainly, they can be a real pain in the ass if you let them be. For the most part, they're all bark and no bite, but they make their presence known.

That being said, neither of these guys would condone the behavior and I'm sure they were as shocked and upset as the rest of us. I do think it's amusing that they'll both be required to take sportsmanship training, along with the players. They could definitely use it.

Baka_Shinpan repped this.
  11. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    Unless he has a prior incident, it is highly unlikely.

12. RespectTheGame

May 6, 2013
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Somebody needs to forward the thread on the death from the same type of punch to the judge

13. nullix

nullix Member

Apr 18, 2014
    Valencia, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just do AYSO now, so it's pretty mild for me. I only had one time where it seem like a pair of coaches were mad at each other and I separated them.

With all this talk about mass confrontation, I was debating carrying pepper spray with me when I referee. (I carry some with me when I run at night just in case.)

14. threeputzzz

threeputzzz Member+

May 27, 2009
    Minnesota
    #14 threeputzzz, May 13, 2015
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    “Our No. 1 objective is always the safety of the players and we’d like to be able to focus on that without having to focus on the safety of us,”

Kudos to him for this quote - this is what the public needs to understand.

15. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    is it terrible that I feel sorry for this kid?

16. Bubba Atlanta

Bubba Atlanta Member+

Mar 2, 2012
    Yep, Atlanta
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    Or you could feel happy for him that he didn't end up killing the ref like the guy in Michigan did ...

Chas (Psyatika), RefLI and Doug the Ref repped this.
  17. Hararea

Hararea Member+

Jan 21, 2005
    Knowing next to nothing about him, it's really hard to say. I do think that it's important for the force of the law to be used in defense of referees, though.

18. GoDawgsGo

GoDawgsGo Member+

Nov 11, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Indeed. Fulton County DA's office certainly has option to let the 'kid' who is actually an adult do Pre Trial Prevention under First Offender program.

Arraignment hearing is tomorrow where he enters a plea.

Yes. He had twenty minutes from the time he gave up the PK which was the only goal of the game, to the end of the game when he decided to pretend to apologize, shake the ref's hand, pull the ref in to him as he was shaking his hand, and then punch him in the face with his left hand, because as he stated after the game the referee ruined his HS 'career'.

19. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    oh i'm not disagreeing. it is just sad that he would resort to this and jeopardize his future etc etc etc.

this despite not having much (any) info on him. just thinking 18 years old and facing jail time = sad.

Hararea repped this.
  20. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Point taken @GoDawgsGo point taken.

So I am a bit of a putz ....... :(

21. webfoot

webfoot Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Corpse in Houston, spirit in Portland
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    I would hope that the DA doesn't send the message that the first shot at a referee is a freebie that results in no jail time. I doubt that there are many high school soccer players with "priors" so, without imposing jail time and a fine that is what the DA would be saying. Failing that, maybe 2 or 3 years of no soccer for this high school would send the proper message.

TO EVERYONE.

22. Eastshire

Eastshire Member+

Apr 13, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It's always tragic when someone does something stupid that ruins their life.

That doesn't mean we should give anyone a pass, but I think you can acknowledge that while wanting to see justice done.

J'can repped this.
  23. J'can

J'can Member+

Jul 3, 2007
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    thanks @Eastshire hopefully this teaches this young man a valuable lesson. could be (and should be) a harsh one, especially in light of dawgs post.

24. Doug the Ref

Doug the Ref Member

Dec 6, 2005
    St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How about the defense attorney's reported comment, that he doesn't understand why this is news?
    I guess the attorney still has to do some pre hearing research.

25. Sport Billy

Sport Billy Moderator
    Staff Member

May 25, 2006
    I'm in no way defending this kid.
    But if he has no priors, no way he does jail.
    Right or wrong, that's just how it works.

This kid is a senior.
    I can't for the life of me find a legitimate reason to punish 2-3 years worth of players for the actions of this idiot.
    There is no indication that the school condone or even ignored this type of behavior in the past. There is also no way the school could have prevented this.
    The other kids, the ones that did follow the rules, should not be punished.

asoc, Baka_Shinpan and akindc repped this.