Copps is out shopping...

Discussion in 'Reading FC' started by mschofield, Oct 10, 2007.

1. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  2. Neeto

Neeto Member

Sep 9, 2007
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Coppel can get a good right wing. He did not make alot of transfers in the summer so we should have some kind of cash floating around.

3. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    If you go purely on profits from last season, he has $38m floating around (team profit reported at $44m (pds 22m), they spent $6m). If you add in this year, you can more than double that, as revenues increased by $40m from the tele deal alone, and expenses haven't increaed that much, esp as shorey and lita haven't agreed new deals. Realistically, he could have a massive amount to spend and the club would still have enough cash from these two years to pay cash for the stadium expansion.
    Copps didn't not spend because of a lack of cash, this was his strategy, he decided to believe in the players who'd brought him to the dance, replacing Sids with fae and Cisse.
    Truthfully, if LIttle was healthy, i'm not sure it wouldn't have worked. as it is, he can bring in pretty much any right wing willing to come in. He's said in the past he think splashing a lot, though, will disrupt team chemistry. Seems he's gotten over that.

4. Katsbox

Katsbox New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    LBC
    Well, the players can hardly have their feeling hurt at this point.

5. Derrida

Derrida New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    NH, USA
    I hear Lampard is available.

6. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think that the wallet is going to open that wide.

7. Derrida

Derrida New Member

Feb 5, 2007
    NH, USA
    Yeah. But Kaka is available for just 100 million pounds. Surely they can get that done...

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Oh, I totally agree. But there is money available. If he spent pds 6-8m on a player though, and a total of 10m, Reading could afford it. And kats note is spot on, no one can whinge about a star being brought in to try and right the club when they've all been under-performing thus far this year.

9. rms5555

rms5555 Member

Aug 2, 2006
    Eastpointe, MI
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's true, but they also can't bring in some guy who thinks he is bigger than the team. Team chemistry is a difficult thing to balance and one jack hole, no matter how good he is can mess it all up.

10. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Sadly, this year our team chemistry looks on par with the old farside cartoon of god as a young boy tries to make a chicken.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
  12. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    Who are some top-notch right wingers you'd be interested in bringing in?

13. Convey Crew

Convey Crew Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Section 115 PPL Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is a right winger what they need? Convey seems to be getting back into form, but some midfield help might be needed. And if Sonko is hurt maybe maybe a good back as well?

14. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    On Sonko, don't do that. I panicked. he's not being reported as injured right now.

Convey, Hunt, Oster is not enough depth or quality at wing. Henry is a nice prospect, but very young for what is shaping to be a very rough spring.
    The way I see our needs, another wing, right. A striker. An upgrade at CM. A keeper.

15. Convey Crew

Convey Crew Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Section 115 PPL Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any big names out there that would be willing to fill those positions for the Royals?

16. Katsbox

Katsbox New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    LBC
    I agree with your wish list - and I really, REALLY want us to upgrade at CM. Gunnarsson just does not have the speed and gives the ball away too often. I love Harps, but can't make up for the lack of a top quality partner.

If we don't pick up points in Dec., we will have real trouble attracting quality players. 18 possible points in Dec consist of Middlesbrough (H), Liverpool (H), Birmingham (A), Sunderland (H), West Ham (A), and Tottenham (A). What do we need to have a chance at good players in the transfer market and what do you all expect? To me, less than 9 will be disappointing, and 12 or 13 is completely within our reach if Dr. Jekyll Reading comes out to play (and will put us in line with points that we had at the end of Dec last year).

17. rossgreen

rossgreen Member

Jul 16, 2006
    Austin
    Are Fae and Cisse just not working in CM?

18. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I think Cisse was always seen as a year or more off when signed. Fae, apparently, doesn't get defensive pressure yet, but is improving.
    If Little had been healthy this year, I think we'd have seen more of Fae. Dillon had an interview a couple weeks ago where he said Fae was the real thing andwould come good soon. for what that's worth.

19. whipsmart13

whipsmart13 New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Fishers IN
  20. Laudy

Laudy New Member

Nov 17, 2007
    Reinholds, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    IMHO our greatest need is in the midfield. Since Siddy's departure the midfield has been average at best. Gunnarson and Harper don't have the speed and talent to control the ball in this league. Coppell dealt with this with the signing of Fae and Cisse but these guys apparently have not yet panned out and we need help ASAP to stay above the relegation zone. Little would be a great help but he seems to be a few months off at best so we cannot count on him. Convey has been progressing well and has looked good in the last couple of games. Hunty is well... Hunty. He gives 110% every game and demands respect. I fear his recklessness could cost us a times but there is no replacing his heart and determination.

Is it just me or do we need to also look at defense? Murty isn't getting any younger and his veteran leadership is crucial but he seems to always be getting nicked and is losing a step. On the other side we have Shorey who has been quiet and really looks like a guy who is on his way out. Unfortunately, I think the same can be said for Lita. He has been getting very little time with the first team and seems to be doing very little with the second as well. His pace and potential are top notch but when will he put it all together on the pitch? There are a lot of questions going into the transfer window and I hope Coppell & Co. have the answers.

21. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    In convey's defense, he's not suppossed to be back to full fitness until, what, feb? But right now he's not good enough. Harps adds and detracts, not sure if on balance it works out or not. gunn is the same, but doesn't add enough. Murts needs a replacement. Marcus is on the edge.
    The fact is, when the prem tv money came in and everyone started buying, a good 8-10 clubs became a lot stronger than they were last year. Reading slips a bit, and finds themselves overwhelmed. we were never as good as the 8th best club last year, played above ourselves. It's gonna be close this year. i believe we'll make it with room to spare, at least 14th. but we really need to upgrade, both in january and this summer.

22. Convey Crew

Convey Crew Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Section 115 PPL Park
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So sad, but yet so true.:(

23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow. Looks like a wing, doesn't he. Nice cross. Looks to switch and play centrally, as well. Have to admit, I haven't been paying attention to 2bund this year, but he would make that worthwhile...

24. ElSpruceMoose

ElSpruceMoose Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Fort Worth, TX
    Very impressive...wikipedia claims he has been linked with AC Milan though:(

25. whipsmart13

whipsmart13 New Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Fishers IN
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/7137829.stm
    Reading boss Steve Coppell is keen on £3m-rated French centre-back Sebastien Puygrenier. According to my trusty Footmall Manager 2008 database, Puygrenier is 6'2 and plays at Nancy in the French League 1. He gets an 18 for "Marking" so he can't be that bad...lol
    No word on his heading ability since I haven't scouted he out for my Cardiff squad.

With Doobs not getting any younger and Ivar not quite the player of last season, this looks like a nice fit for Reading. At first, I thought "why another damn defender" but with the way the back 4 have looked this year, maybe starting at the back is not so bad of an idea. To be honest, we need players all over the pitch. Here is where I see our priorities:

Left back - based on Shorey leaving soon. Given the way he's been inconsistent, I hope we cash out on him soon.
    Right back - Murty quite possibly in his final season as first choice. Rosenior up to it?
    Centre back (maybe) - see above
    Right winger - desperately.
    Central midfielder - Bryn getting on and for me an ideal sub, not starter week in week out.
    Striker - Lita to go, soon.