Coppa Italia: Roma vs Spezia (January 19th, 2020)

Discussion in 'AS Roma' started by Big Bad Wolf, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Big Bad Wolf

Big Bad Wolf Member+

Dec 17, 2013
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Like I said, he's lucky he has the chance to play the same opposition again in a few days in the league to right the wrongs of tonight. He best get a convincing result though or he could (should) be in serious trouble.

2. PDeGennaro

PDeGennaro Member+

Jul 6, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He shouldn't have the chance to sit on the bench.

3. Capitano_10

Capitano_10 Member+

Apr 18, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    He should have been sacked after the Lazio mauling. Tactically inept and tonight was no better - this substitution farce is surely the final nail in his coffin. How could he not know this!? This is basic coach knowledge no matter what competition you’re playing in

LordNelson repped this.
  4. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    2 forfeited matches in a season. Roma just continue to amaze in the worse ways possible.

5. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020

Haakon24 and Indian_Gladiator repped this.
  6. tmontana52

tmontana52 Member+

Jul 10, 2007
    Philly- the 215
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Who’s more to blame for this one, Mayoral or Fonseca?

7. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020
  8. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    "You Friedkin-loving Americans and your Totti obsession should have seen this coming." Nellie incoming

9. Goduerza

Goduerza Member+

Jun 13, 2008
    Bulgaria
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #59 Goduerza, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    So Mayoral's finishing is just like Dzeko's then? Can score absolute bangers, but will miss the simplest of sitters. I wonder if we will regret missing out on Milik.

As far as this game goes, it does seem like the loss was more on the players than on Fonseca or his tactical approach, but the 6th sub debacle is going to weigh down on him.

10. LordNelson

LordNelson Member+

May 29, 2012
    London
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Wow... I said before, Verona was a real loss and should not be taken lightly. I also said this could happen again.... While all you numpties, kept saying it was unfair etc... The usual Pallotta BS.

Pathetic on all levels.

Andreas repped this.
  11. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    The substitution thing is truly embarrassing, but I don’t think it would be wise to sack Fonseca while CL places are within touching distance.

If anything we are overperforming against everyone but the big teams. There are AT LEAST 4 teams in the league with much better squads than us. Fonseca turned a bunch of rejects into a semi-competent team and I don’t think he gets enough credit for that. Bruno Peres, Mkhi, Smalling, Karsdorp and Ibanez were all nobodies, flops or over the hill when joining, all turned into competent players now (Ibanez is still a gem even if he was atrocious vs Lazio).

Actually you’d be hard pressed to find any player on this team that has not gotten better under Fonseca. His tactics against the big teams is a big point against him, but if we change coach I see just as much of a chance of this team regressing as progressing. This squad simply lacks quality.

Indian_Gladiator and shiboboo repped this.
  12. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    #62 La Magica, Jan 20, 2021
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    If you want to see a man who is overperforming look to the Lazio bench. Simple effective tactics while creating a humble team attitude that means they turn up and perform in big games. Fonseca is doing no more than expected with this squad. Its a team of good players who you expect to be beating small sides. You also expect a team to show up with a chance against bigger sides. Not expecting winning but dont embarrass the club every game like a bunch of clowns. There is no spirit with the bunch and he doesn't inspire them. He sits passively to the side and they all seem like they really dont care as a number of them laugh and joke after a losing game. Somewhere that falls on the man thats leading them. Not all on his head as attitude also falls on players as a group to step up but as the manager the spirit is represented by him to a degree.
    There is no figuring things out or improving for Fonseca against men who read him so easily. Even EDF had his number in the second half of their last encounter and Roma ran out lucky winners in a game that could have easily went the other way. Roma should have sacked him in the summer and made a fresh start with new owners. Sacking him right now is a crap shoot for sure. They've made their bed, let them lay in it to the summer.

13. Haakon24

Haakon24 Member+

Mar 15, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    How are Lazio overperforming? They are behind us in the table with arguably a stronger squad. Except for Mkhi we don’t have anyone close to the quality of Immobile, Sergei or even Luis Alberto.

I’d rather get embarrassed by the big teams and end higher in the table than to play well and drop points every other week against the minnows like they do. We need CL football first and foremost, and we are still right there in the fight.

14. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Lazio have been overperforming for a few years. Look through their squad and they have found bargain players from around smaller clubs in Europe. How I have always advocated we should build our squad. The result is players with a point to prove and a real team spirit. They started poorly, perhaps after the disappointment of last year but are coming on strong again. The momentum in the table doesnt look good for Roma with the teams sitting behind us.

Their tactics are nothing special but they know who they are and that counts for a lot. Roma need to get back some of that.

15. Vulpinous

Vulpinous Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 15, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Caputo is an ideal profile for when we have possession

16. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You really didn't see it coming? You mean only Las knew?

17. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    You got it right!!

Essentially:
    [​IMG]

18. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    [​IMG]

19. La Magica

La Magica Member+

Aug 1, 2011
    Club:
    AS Roma
    You grew to understand that when begging for a participation place in the CL. That's up there with the Roma subs for patheticness. ;)

whill4, Midfield General and Villar14 repped this.
  20. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Making too many substitutions? That is just gross incompetence. Something like that is a firing offense in private business.

Andreas and Capitano_10 repped this.
  21. Rosay

Rosay Member+

May 7, 2014
    Club:
    AC Milan
    This is the only part of what you said that makes any sense. You're clearly in pain. I feel your pain.

22. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    A very important question.

The answer is Mayoral, although since he has played infrequently this season and I like very much what I have seen from him so far - including the shape he gives to our attack as a focal point - I would not be overly critical of him.

When you look at the number of high quality chances we created then it becomes difficult to criticise Fonseca. If we had taken some of those missed chances then we would have won comfortably, not to mention suffering some poor refereeing decisions that ultimately decided the game in extra-time.

If we could resolve the problem of our relatively low conversion rate we would be scudetto contenders. I still hope for improvement in that department and I hope Mayoral starts on Saturday, although I doubt he will.

23. whill4

whill4 Moderator
    Staff Member

AS Roma
    Sep 11, 2011
    Returning Video Tapes
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The sub error is great, although personally I thought the high point of this game was getting two red cards in the span of 12 seconds from two separate instances. Now that is peak Roma.

Oban14 repped this.
  24. Villar14

Villar14 Red Card

Dec 15, 2020