Copa Sudamericana Draw

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by SideshowBob, May 15, 2007.

1. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The draw for the Copa Sudamericana will be held on May 22 in Buenos Aires. 24 teams have officially qualified to date for the 2007 tournament:

2. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    8 brasilian !!! AND ONLY 2 COLOMBIAN TEAMS !!! dont the colombian teams have to eliminate each other that IS BS !!!!!and a huge mafia in fifa even teams taht arent good in that league get to go just cause its brasil or argentina like gimisia in argentina is in the last like 4 and gets to go to copa libs which is ridiculious, also that mexico has more direct spots than colombia, paraguay or chile is pretty messed up considerin we are SOUTH AMERICAN !!!! and have done very well in the past 20 years

3. Panfilo

Panfilo Member+

May 9, 2003
    INLAND EMPIRE
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Mexico has 3 spots

You didn't add America to the list. ;)

4. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    8 Brazilian teams, but they have to eliminate each other, leaving only 4 in the next round. After that, the Brazilians and Argentines face in the Octavos, so everyone else is kind of lucky in a way.

5. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    not really it is set up for the finals to be brasil argentina when u have half the teams in the last 16 bein arg or brasilian. look even teams that arent good are in this tournie because U get so many spots... its just bs cause neither league is that good for you to have 4x more spots than everyone else and then why does mexico have so many spots THEY ARENT South american... u can argue it all u want

but whne teams bottom tear argentina teams like Lanus and colon can make a tournie just because there in the arg league is just dumb, then they can send their best teams to both competitions is also funny. How are other leagues supose to get better if they arent given spots to anything.

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Crzd, do not get so crazed about this.

Sudamericana is not a real tournament, is a tournament created for TV, to pump up FOX and TYC ratings in the second semester. In this order of ideas they set up the tournament for the biggest audiences, meaning Brasil (190 Million people), Mexico (100) and to some extent Argentina (40). From this point of view, Venezuela (20?), Peru (30), Colombia (45), Paraguay (10?), Chile (10?), Bolivia (8?) and even Uruguay (3?) are crap and they try to avoid a team from this countries to make it too deep into the tournament.

If you look at it from this perspective, it makes total sense.

7. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Agree. It's a joke that a country only gets to send 2 clubs and then they have to eliminate each other in the pre-qualifying phase. So that means only 1 club from x country actually goes into the real tournament competition (where clubs from different country start facing each other).

8. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually, I think we have one more team that qualifies to this tournament then the Copa Libertadores, the rest are the same. Not only that, but generally those teams won't make in the top 3 or 4 Argentine teams that play los Octavos. You mentioned Gimnasia (LP), but the only reason they played it last year was because they had finished 2nd in the previous tournament. When they played, their team had been destroyed and wasn't the same. Notice how they also went to the Libertadores. It's not that the crappy Argentine teams qualify, it's that they qualify but by the time the tournament begins, their teams have been completely modified.

9. jass

jass Member

Oct 12, 2006
    Club:
    Parana Curitiba
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Why is Sao Paulo in this if they were in Libertadores?

10. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Let's not forget that Boca and River get invited, and they go into the tournament already in Octavos. :rolleyes:

11. FLFootballFan

FLFootballFan Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Club:
    Nacional de Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They should do a tournament that resembles the UEFA. It would be more competitive and legitimate. I get so turned off by the ridiculous amounts of teams from Brazil and Argentina while other coutries get pretty much hosed.

12. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    agreed also hate how arg,brasilain and mexican teams start off at the last 16

13. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Bet you're pumped that a U.S. team also starts off in the last 16 too, huh? :eek:

14. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    a true joke.

15. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Yeah, I agree there's absolutely no justification for it, but since it's my team, I'll be damned if I'm about to argue with it. :D

16. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Well, nevermind, guess they changed the format this year. The CONCACAF teams are all playing each other in a preliminary round.

17. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  18. spidergoose

spidergoose Member

Nov 2, 2004
    Annapolis
    Club:
    DC United
    Hmm. So looking at that, it looks like the CONCACAF teams are still entering at the Round of 16, but they're just playing each other first.

19. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, there is some changes, but I wouldn't say "bigtime".

Now, the CONCACAF teams (3 from Mexico, 1 from USA) area all facing off in the first round and are guarenteed to meet before the final (so as to eliminate the possibility of an all CONCACAF final).

Also, the pairings for the prelim stages have been shaken up (except Paraguay-Uruguay has remained). But all the non-Brazil and Argentina teams have the same amount of competition to go through.

And the prelim South American matches now go with international games first then the winners of those pairing off, rather than the domestic teams playing followed by the winners playing a team from another country.

I guess you could argue that this is "bigtime" changes, but I don't see it.

20. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well I think it is.

21. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Another change teams can bring up to 2 reinforcements and the prize money is over 1 million dollars for the winner.

22. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I guess it's a matter of opinion.

My pioint would merely be that all they changed were the matchups, which is the way any competition should be -- it shouldn't be the same matchups every year.

But for a team from Bolivia or Uruguay or Chile or wherever to win, they still need to do the exact same thing this year (win 2 two legged prelim matches to get to the Round of 16 and then win 4 more two legged matches). For a CONCACAF team, they are already in the Round of 16 and just need to win 4 two legged matches. The structure is the same as in the past for Brazil and Argentina teams.

A big shakeup in my mind would have been making the CONCACAF teams have to go through prelims or having teams from Brazil/Argentina play non-domestic teams in qualification. Just IMHO. This just seems to be more of the same to me with some of the matchups moved around.

23. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Agree. It's all of the same, just tweaked a little bit. What a joke of a format really. Only in CONMEBOL. :rolleyes:

24. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Thats ridiculous, yeah the Concacaf teams have to play each other but but they are also guarrenting 2 Concacaf teams places in the quarters :rolleyes:

Conmebol continues to kiss Concacrap ass

25. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Member

Jan 12, 2007
    Maryland
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's a bit stupid that Argentina and Brazil get 4 spots each in the Round of 16 and the other 8 CONMEBOL confederatons have to share 4 spots among all of them.

A simple modification might be something like this:
    * Brazil and Argentina get 2 guarenteed spots each in the Round of 16 (4 spots)
    * 1 team from each "other" CONMEBOL country plays a two round prelim, first against one of the "other" CONMEBOL teams, then against a Brazilian or Argentinian team to get into round of 16 (4 spots)
    * 1 team from each "other" CONMEBOL country plays a single round prelim against a team from one of the "other" CONMEBOL teams to go into the round of 16 (4 spots)
    * Holders in round of 16 (1 spot)
    * 1 team from both Mexico and US get seeded directly to the Round of 16 (2 teams)
    * second Mexican team and "other" CONCACAF (whether USA or Central America) play a prelim to get to the Round of 16 (1 spot)

I've added a 4th CONCAF team (but put in a CONCACAF prelim too) but otherwise number of entries are all the same. But this at least allows for the possibility of more than 4 non-Brazil/Argentina/CONCACAF teams in the final 16. A much more interesting setup.