Copa Libertadores 2011 (R)

Discussion in 'Copa Libertadores / Sudamericana' started by JAIME CHILE, Nov 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Y... ¿qué puedo decir?

Partidazo. Acabó el primer tiempo, el Manya adelante 1-0 con golazo de cabeza de Darío Rodríguez, después de un tiro de esquina.

2. scrooge

scrooge New Member

Sep 29, 2010
    yeah, extremely entertaining, especially Velez despite of not scoring.

3. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Peñarol allowing no goals at home gives them a tremendous advantage. If they make it to the final their defensive strength at home will definitely be a factor.

4. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Excellent semis, with very tight games. 1-0 is what you expect the team at home to win, and that's exactly what happened twice.

I wouldn't be surprised if both semis are decided in penalties.

5. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Velez's game is too much like Catolica's, with its strengths and weaknesses. I see Peñarol scoring in Argentina and locking the game down.

6. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    The Uruguayans take it.

Velez seems like the better team, but Penarol withstood the pressure.

As for fan support - when Velez played in La Bombonera, there were many empty seats. Will they fill Jose Amalfitani? Because if they don't, Penarol's fans will cross the Rio da Prata en masse and Penarol will be the home team at Liniers.

Now it's Manchester United vs. Barcelona this Saturday. Will there be passion as there is in the Libertadores?

7. BarraUru

BarraUru Member

Apr 18, 2011
    Montevideo
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    In Europe the 'passion' does not even compare to South American passion...

Peñarol supporters bought 4,500 to Jose Amalfitani in 10 minutes today... Peñarol's vicepresident is trying to get 1,500 more tickets for Peñarol fans

8. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Last chance to get on the MANYA bandwagon...

train is leaving...

any takers?

:D

vamo'arriba MANYA viejo!!! vamo'arriba...

9. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Crapped my pants for a second, but we pulled through with better delivery.
    And the HEAT won

10. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I think Velez and Santos have more to show. Cerro kept it 1-0 but barely so, and Santos was close to the 2-0. And Velez was also very close of the 1-1.

I can see both Santos and Velez winning the second leg. We'll see.

11. Andrés_

Andrés_ Member

Nov 16, 2007
    Argentina.
    Club:
    CA Independiente
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Interesting match, Peñarol's defense was nearly flawless, Vélez will have a hard time to score and they may be exposed to a counter, however got to see what happens. I think Vélez didn't get to show their best game in this match, let's see if they can recover for the return leg, either way it's gonna be a tough battle.

That's because in the city of Buenos Aires, when it's like that usually the "home" team isn't allowed to use the stadium at full capacity so probably they had it to the half at most.

Tsk, tsk. They remembered to do that a bit late, now they'll probably have to ask Francescoli for a job.

12. celeste4life

celeste4life Member

Dec 16, 2007
    United States
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Velez almost scored, but Peñarol almost scored as well on the play that was called offsides at the end.

13. ElGuapo

ElGuapo New Member

Jul 23, 2006
    MN
    I see Santos and Velez advancing to the final, anything can happen of course, but these 2 are favorites.

14. Latin Pride

Latin Pride Member

Aug 1, 2004
    In your house
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Cerristas causing trouble already

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VlBXcVl9eRs"]YouTube - ‪Libertadores: Disturbios en Cerro Porteño durante la venta de entradas‬‏[/ame]

15. Dan-ny-m398

Dan-ny-m398 Member

Aug 25, 2004
    Long Island NY
    Club:
    Olimpia Asuncion
    Nat'l Team:
    Paraguay
    Who knows what they will do to embarrass us Paraguayos today, I wonder if it will be the now Traditional Fight between their own barra Bravas a rock upside the head of one of the linesman, fireworks on the field, or an all out brawl on the field at the end of the game or if we get lucky the also traditional brawl against the police outside the stadium at least the last will not be carried live on tv for the world to see.

16. xdryza

xdryza Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    LOL, that didn't take long.

Santos 1-0 Cerro

17. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Muy mal Cerro... atras y adelante.

18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Neymar showing why he's a hot commodity right now.

19. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    cerro hasnt played badly, and honestly, the game is quite even. but my god that own goal. they opened themselves up toward the end of the half to get that goal and i honestly thought they were going to get it. of course, the 3 on 3 break at the death of the half leads to a great neymar finish.

and iturbe, my god is he fast, although he has a bit too much neymar diving in him :p

20. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Leo Astrada began to shuffle his side once Santos scored. Iturbe is fast, as Leonidas said, and he tested Santos' defense more than once. So someone please tell me why he didn't start in Sao Paulo nor tonight.

That 3 on 3... tailor-made play for Santos to score.

21. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    IMO, both Iturbe and Neymar are potential figures but are faaaar from being world class. The way Neymar loses balls trying to get a foul/acting is ridiculous. Iturbe's got speed going for him but he'a easily thrown around by the defenders... needs higher muscle mass? :confused:

Entertaining, fast paced game but imprecise. Ball doesn't transit in midfield for too long.

22. leonidas

leonidas Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    May 25, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    your game-plan takes a serious hit when you give up an away goal in the first 2 minutes. it was a gamble and he lost. astrada probably felt confident that cerro could hold santos till the half and then bring in iturbe in the 2nd. it's tough now bc this is a santos type of game -- wide open. i still think we'll see 2 more goals in the 2nd half. exciting game overall.

23. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Cerro has to score 4 goals in 45 minutes to advance. They are definitely going to try, but it doesn't seem likely - and one more Santos goal, and it'll effectively vanquish Cerro psychologically.

I frankly expected a far more rugged match than this. Cerro played an intelligent game in Brazil. Things surely went wrong for them tonight, at least thus far.

Interestingly, this is Santos' 7th game in Paraguay in its history, and Santos has never lost in that country:

1962: Cerro Porteño 1 x 1 Santos
    1965 :Olímpia 2 x 2 Santos
    1967: Olímpia 0 x 0 Santos
    1981: Paraguai 1 x 2 Santos
    2004: Guaraní 1 x 2 Santos
    2011: Cerro Porteño 1 x 2 Santos
    2011: Cerro Porteño 1 x 3 Santos at halftime

24. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    El diseñito ése en el cesped de La Olla me marea.

Iturbe va creciendo, pero el problema es la falta de ideas cuando los jugadores the Cerro tienen que posicionarse cuando esperan el pase. Así que al fin de cuentas Iturbe llega pero ya no tiene a quién pasarle el balón.

25. Caturro

Caturro Member

Aug 3, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Santiago Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Either way Cerro is all over Santos now. 2-3 and I wouldn't be surprised if they tied the game.

Wow at Rafael. He just blocked that dude's shot right at his feet.