Pre-match: Copa do Mundo 2018, Quartas-de-Final: Brasil vs. Bélgica, 6 de Julho de 2018

Discussion in 'Brazil' started by Century's Best, Jul 3, 2018.

1. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Coutinhuo and neymar both on one yellow each. Another yellow and they are out of the semis.

2. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I haven't watched the 2nd half, but they looked fairly disciplined in the 1st half.

3. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    I don't think it is true, I heard no one can be suspended unless it is a red card

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Incorrect. Cards reset after the QF.

5. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Looking like Marcelo will start.

6. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    Filipe IMO has been better than Marcelo in this World Cup so far.

MerlinRM repped this.
  7. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  8. ripalino

ripalino Member

Feb 26, 2013
    Sao Paulo
    Club:
    Fluminense Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    TITE officially confirms Brazil's lineup vs Belgium: Alisson; Fágner, Silva, Miranda, Marcelo; Paulinho, Fernandinho, Coutinho; Willian, Gabriel Jesus, Neymar.

9. Emperor Adriano

Emperor Adriano Member+

Jun 17, 2009
    Utica NY (the refugee city)
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
  10. samuel_clemens

Dec 20, 2005
    Los Angeles CA
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    We haven't defeated a Western Europe team in WC tournaments since the penta in 2002. It's a good time to end this spell.

11. Kevin_405

Kevin_405 Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Looks like sun.uk had incorrect information, another uk website guardian said otherwise.

12. IVO !

IVO ! Member

Feb 25, 2009
    RIO AND CHICAGO
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I like this line up.
    I think we will pass through Belgium tranquilo, but then the semi against France is going to be a bitch.
    And pray pray Neymar keeps his cool and doesn’t get a YC.

13. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think Neymar will be fine . I can tell after his YC he has been holding his reactions back . It’s actually funny to see. I only worry if he gets one on a dive trying to draw something. He might get one late in the game if it looks lost which hopefully won’t happen.

Coutinho also should have no reason to get a yellow .

14. XaviandXabi

XaviandXabi Member

May 4, 2005
    CT
    That's so lame considering it was a yellow they picked up in the first game of the tournament.

15. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Damn ... Danilo is officially out of the WC but he will stay with the team.

Fagner has done good, but his height really bothers me going forward. Marquinhos could be considered for that position.

There were also concerns over Paulinho carrying an injury as he was doing some extra physio work but Tite said today it he received a foul in the Mexico game. But if there was something wrong with Paulinho at this point I'd expect Tite to hide that. He said if needed Marquinhos could play that position.

Ombak and Redshift repped this.
  16. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    People seem to feel pretty confident based on posts so far. I think the Selecao is favored to win as well, but am concerned that in few of the games they seem to be out maneuvered in the midfield for a 10-15 minute stretch of time. You can't be perfect, but I just hope this doesn't result in going down a goal. You guys comfortable with the ability to turn the tables from a deficit?

Redshift repped this.
  17. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I am honestly pretty worried. So worried I will not make my famous "menos de 2/3 gols eu nem comemoro" prediction :ROFLMAO:

My feeling right now is it's 50/50. I am a bit worried about the midfield not clicking as well as in WCQ. We broke down Mexico with a brilliant individual piece from Neymar and what killed them in the 2nd half was also Willian dribbling past their midfield. I am honestly not buying the "best defense" narrative that's being put out there. Yes we are solid, but we've given our opponents plenty of space to get into very dangerous positions having to rely throwing some bodies to block a shot. We seem to have started most games a bit slow. I think we are fortunate that none of the teams we played had high quality forwards / strikers that have made us pay. Perhaps I am expecting a bit too much as you have to acknowledge the quality of other teams. Hoje em dia não tem muito bobo no futebol. Talvez em 2026 :ROFLMAO:

Another factor that starts to come into play is physical condition. Our games have been tougher than Belgium's. We also played vs Mexico in high temperature which was draining to most players. Belgium probably had to spend more energy in the Japan game as they had to chase it, but I think they played in favorable conditions.

Not trying to be negative but over the years you learn a thing of two about additional factors that can affect a team's performance from game to game.

On the plus side, Neymar is looking better and Douglas Costa is back as an attacking option.

MerlinRM and Redshift repped this.
  18. tpmazembe

tpmazembe Member

Jun 13, 2002
    The Midfield (S.Fla)
    I also think this is a tricky game for all the reasons you outline. In spite of his goal and all out effort, it has seemed to me that Paulinho is laboring a bit. Unfortunately with Casemiro out, his off the top replacement should he struggle is already in the line-up. We don't know what we have fitness wise from RA and what we would get from Fred in such a pressure packed situation.

Let's hope to score first, as it hides a lot of sins and plays to our strengths.

I also hope to see an aggressive G. Jesus. He needs to present a real threat.

celito and Redshift repped this.
  19. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I've watched Paulinho at Barca the whole season and that's a pretty normal look for him. He just doesn't have that extra gear in terms of speed. His movement is pretty stiff. You won't see him giving a nice slide tackle to steal a ball. He likes contain defenders rather than attack them unless he gets them from a blind side. The positive is that he seldom stops running and typically positions himself well.

20. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I fully expect to suffer tomorrow. I can't remember a Quarterfinal that wasn't really difficult at best.

The last 3 consecutive QFs have ended our WC hopes:

1. France (2006) — disgraceful and apathetic performance I had the misfortune to see in person.

2. Netherlands (2010) — permitted a virada, Felipe Melo gets red carded.

3. Colombia (2014) — won the game, lost Neymar, T. Silva, and you know what happened next.

We prevailed in the 3 prior QFs, but they were all close calls:

1. In 2002, we won 2-1 de virada but Ronaldinho was wrongly red carded (could have cost the game when we only had 10 men). He was out for the semi—a tough game we only won with Ronaldo's goal de bico.

2. In 1998, we started winning 2-0, allowed Denmark to tie the game, then we were bailed out by Rivaldo.

3. In 1994, we started winning 2-0, allowed Holanda to tie the game, then we were bailed out by Branco.

omajac and celito repped this.
  21. Jadentheman

Jadentheman Member

Jul 1, 2013
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am worried too, but my only relief is that people have been hyping up this Belgium as one of the best but they looked shakey during group plays and against Japan.

Just don't commit fouls near the box and hope for not many corners as they are good on set pieces.

22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    In 98 Denmark scored first , we made it 2 x 1, then they tied after that failed RC bicycle kick . The. Rivaldo hit that winner against the best GK in the world . Beauty shot on the ground right in the corner.

23. Bezhusan

Bezhusan Member

Atlético Mineiro
    Brazil
    May 30, 2018
    One of the best Rivaldo’s performances with the yellow.

24. Kaka10725

Kaka10725 Member+

Jun 1, 2007
    I have two concerns one is the Fagner vs Hazard matchup and the second is the height of the Belgians. Set pieces defending has been our Achilles heel in some of the quarterfinal exits.

25. Redshift

Redshift Member+

Dec 14, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You're right. I must have misremembered because of the lightning goal and Holanda in 1994. Just underscores the point though. A QF isn't going to be easy. Since I know it's a potential crap shoot. I'm not going to pre-suffer now.

I feel like we're well prepared and it's up to the players and football gods now.