Copa America YES or NO?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by ilidav, Nov 10, 2003.

1. ilidav

ilidav Member

Jun 9, 2003
    El Paso, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I keep on reading different things. That the US declined to go, that we were not even invited. I couldn't find *#*#*#*# on conmebol.com or ussoccer.com.

What is it then? And why not?

2. Tecos

Tecos Member+

Apr 8, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    Tecos UA de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Last I heard the US was invited, and didn't officially decline, but because of a lack of a response from the US, CONMEBOL went ahead and invited Costa Rica which promptly accepted. There maybe new info out there but this is the last I heard.

3. ilidav

ilidav Member

Jun 9, 2003
    El Paso, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ASCO......PUKE

Bruce Arena is an arrogant SOB. I wouldn't doubt it. Oh well, I guess what those rumors say can be true, we are not a threat to anyone, we were good in 2002 WC because of good luck. They way we played in Confederaciones was a disgrace, Copa Oro, please!!!! Now we are not even going to Copa America to play the better teams like Brazil and Argentina. Will we make it to 2006?

4. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Re: ASCO......PUKE

I'm not sure I understand the connection between playing Copa America and not Qualifying for WC 2006. Since when is playing Brazil and Argentina on the same level as playing Gutemala, Jamaica, Hondouras, and T&T? They're probably a good look at what we'd get from Meixco at the Azteca and Costa Rica in that Lion's Den they call the Saprissa. But those aren't must win games anyhow. I assume we lose those games before naming the squad. We should EASILY finish in the top 4 in a 6 country tournament of CONCACAF opponents

5. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    also Copa America would be completly pointless and an extreme hassle for our MLS guys. Not to mention Qualifying is in the general vicinity of those dates.

6. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Bruce and USSF made a decision based on what they thought best for US Soccer. MLS was interrupted by the Confed Cup and the Gold Cup this year. Next year we have qualifying and the Olympics. I think I'll still have enough soccer to get me through the summer.

7. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With all the problems in the world and all the anti-America sentiment, it is the prudent thing to stay home as much as possible.

8. ilidav

ilidav Member

Jun 9, 2003
    El Paso, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the point

I just thought that playing better teams like the South American teams would give our new guys a better concept of what World Cup can be.

I just pray that we make it and make hisotry again.

ARRIBA EL FUTBOL!!!

9. ilidav

ilidav Member

Jun 9, 2003
    El Paso, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Please RedCard.....

10. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    I just worry that our Euro players are going to come into the first round out of shape like they did last time. Copa America would have been a perfect training camp to get the Euro guys back in shape.

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Absolutely. But why stop there? Do we really want to go to Greece? And what about Germany in 2006, that's sure to attract a lot of attention? In fact, just having a national team _ especially calling it the United States National team _ is asking for trouble. Maybe we should change the name, enroll the team in the A-league and not bring in our best players, just in case something happens. Just a thought.

12. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you have a point granted, ....but now that WC qualifying begins in June does that make it impossible to go to Copa America or not, (when is CA played ? )

Why not send the olympic team to Copa America and use all Euro based players for the WC Qualifiers in June, this way there are no major MLS conflict

we have a few good players in Euro that could take care of the job without any MLS players

13. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go over to the Yanks abroad thread and check out the proposed lineups. They all involve Jovan Kirovski and require Jacob Thomas, Tony Sanneh or Kenny Cooper at Forward. I wouldn't play any WC Qualifier with this lineup.

14. ilidav

ilidav Member

Jun 9, 2003
    El Paso, TX
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too late now!

I think we should've participated in Copa America. It does not interfere with WC qualifying and like I said before, What better experience can we get by playing against South American teams versus Central and Caribbean. Oh well, chance is lost. Let's hope Bruce Arena builds up a good team and we can qualify and proof that US Futbol is kicking!