Copa America in Portugal?

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by |--LdC--|, Sep 23, 2004.

1. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Yes, Spain and Portugal would be invited, i am not saying this would be a permanent decision and about the Copa America coming to Portugal, i am just talking about what i heard from Gilberto Madaíl... he in the recent years his very well informed...
    Obviously the simple idea of Portugal and Spain entering in a tournament of other confederation, doesn´t make much sense, but it happened in Copa America several times.
    About USA and Canada or any other national team outside Europe entering the Euro, this is a completely different thing, that isn´t gonna happen, simply because we are talking about the most powerfull confederation with 52 members, and neither UEFA or their members would agree with something like this, with Conmebol its another thing they regularly invite another nations, so to them is something normal.
    With all this i am not saying that i agree with this idea, i am just stating some facts, about this possibility that could happen in a near future.

2. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I just like each continent having their own tournament. I actually think its silly that the Copa America have other nations that are not located in S. America participate (i.e. Mexico). Thats why there is a World Cup - the best of the best from the world. FPF, do yourself a favour and concentrate on the Euros and the WC's - we don't need to see Portugal in another tournament.

3. Aveirenses

Aveirenses Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Guardiolunya
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    This is a good idea. Most of the people who have replied though forget that the only players who we would possibly be sent to play Copa America would be the U20's.

It may infringe on principals but it won't affect our NT and it'll be a good learning experience for our younger players.

4. leafster

leafster New Member

Jul 21, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    It would also give a chance to guys who don't start for the NT like Mendes, Caneira, Moreira, Quaresma etc to play in some internationals. We don't need to send the top squad and it's only a few games (no qualifiers).