Copa America Centenario

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by HomietheClown, Dec 17, 2015.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  2. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I plan on travelling to each US group stage game with a pretty sizable group. Should be incredible atmospheres for these games. Can't wait!

wixson7 repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3 HomietheClown, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    I plan on driving a couple hours in miserable traffic to see the USA play at Soldier Field. :p

4. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Always love a new us location.

5. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #5 Smurfquake, Dec 18, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
    Levi's isn't my favorite place to see a game. Parking is kind of a hassle, and it's a long walk from the parking to the stadium. They used the stupid NFL bag policy at the Quakes games I've been to there. I haven't tailgated there. Transit (light rail) is packed but it's a good way to get in and out and drops you closer to the stadium than the parking lots.

Edit to add: just realized this game is on a Friday. Traffic will be holy hell. Much of the parking is in lots around office buildings in the area - for NFL games, and the soccer games that have been held there, those lots are empty because those events have been on the weekend, but on a Friday those lots will be used by the people that work in those buildings. Traffic around there isn't pretty at rush hour on weekdays, and throwing in an event at Levi's will make it extra fun.

I know, I sound like Debbie Downer. I'm still going to the game, it will just be logistically challenging.

6. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    A true home game :D

Screen shot 2015-12-17 at 11.12.01 PM.png

ttrevett and HomietheClown repped this.
  7. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    Who has tickets? Anyone buying a venue pass just to get the US game and planning on selling the rest?

8. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm taking the day off and will be drinking all day at the AO party.

9. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Anybody else get an email from USsoccer saying they could buy tickets tomorrow in a presale?

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. But then apparently I don't get us soccer emails anymore.

11. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    No sorry, it was directly from Copa America not USsoccer. I guess I registered for it a long time ago.

12. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    I've got a buddy getting me an AO ticket on Tuesday. Definitely taking the day off.

13. Bclay

Bclay Member

May 29, 2012
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the only way to get US tickets, right? Unless they don't manage to sell out the Venue tickets, in which case they'll sell them individually (not sure when they'll start to do this).

I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll buy the Venue tickets or just hope they don't sell out of them so I can buy an individual US ticket. I think if you're going to buy the venue tickets, you may as well wait until the draw though. I doubt 70k people will buy venue tickets prior to the draw and you can't really resell the individual tickets until the draw happens anyway. The people that buy before the draw will only have, at most, a day's head start on you in reselling their tickets. But by waiting, you'll know what the other games are so you can kind of determine how difficult it'll be to resell the other tickets.

14. blackstar22

blackstar22 Member

Jul 17, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Just checked the presale and Prices are INSANE. Will be watching at a bar somewhere in baltimore

15. Bclay

Bclay Member

May 29, 2012
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're aware that those are the prices for Venue tickets right? So for Philadelphia (I assume that's the one you looked at), it's three matches. Looked like $150 for upper level and $225 for lower level behind the goal, which is $50 and $75 per ticket respectively.

Of course, the reselling is a big issue. Some people aren't going to be able to resell the other individual tickets, so they'll actually end up paying $150 or $225+ for just one game.

16. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    You are definitely right about needing to divide the venue cost by the number of games. That part almost makes the ticketmaster add ons reasonable for a change.... ;)

It's hard to know how reselling will work out, which was part of why I raised the subject. I'd like to thing this is going to be a really big thing, and that the combination of soccer fanatics and country-specific fans will go a long way toward filling the stadiums. And, certainly possible that some games will go at a profit, right? But it feels expensive enough that they've taken a decent chunk out of resell market.

The head start will be in terms of getting "better" tickets, rather than when you start selling them. Tickets have been on presale for 4 days now, with the presale expanding today. It will be easier to sell row 7 than row 14, right?

Which teams will be guaranteed to resale at cost or above? Mexico, Brazil, Argentina. Anyone else? Those games are known, and if you want, you can even gamble on the quarterfinals that they'll be in. A Mexico quarterfinal will surely be worth a lot....

17. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not invest in this trying to make a profit. Some games are going to sell well, but then... you are probably going to want to go to those games hence why you bought the ticket?

There's a reason they are selling venue passes first. They want as many people locked in on this before knowing the schedule. The games you won't want to go to you'll probably be best off selling ASAP on stubhub or whatever just trying to recoup costs.

18. Moejangles

Moejangles Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I hate the whole stadium pass crap. It locks people in, and then jacks up the resale price of tickets to the finals. Why is a casual fan getting the Stadium Pass in Cali need tickets to the final in New York. To Resell, and make the price even crazier for the casual fan. I will be buying through AO for the group stage, and scalping from there.

19. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah that's the point.

20. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    #20 SpencerNY, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    Shame, I'd have gone for the Levi's pass (Santa Clara) but I already had a vacation planned out that starts 1 day after our first game. I'm hoping that all the gougers don't buy up a bunch of venue passes and leave us single game buyers with few options.

21. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll still come down to demand. I don't think a US game is going to command huge markups in a 60k+ stadium.

22. Moejangles

Moejangles Member

Aug 7, 2012
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I agree, but I bet you the games easily sell out, especially with the markets of the teams we will be facing.

23. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    That seems logical and I sure hope you're right. We don't get meaningful US games in the San Francisco Bay Area though and I'm not entirely sure that the tickets wouldn't go pretty quickly if we got one of the South American countries with a sizeable immigrant population in California.

All we have to go off of are meaningless friendlies like the last one played against Azerbaijan.

24. Fire Bradley

Fire Bradley Member

Aug 28, 2008
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got my venue pass for NRG stadium earlier this week.

I really just want to make it to the semi-final game, figure whatever I lose in resale in the first game (final group game between two teams in our group), I can make up in the Mexico game.

25. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The key is to wait it out, if it sells out there are a billion tickets on stubhub. You'll get a better deal on gameday or the day before than buying early. People were buying USA-Mexico tickets for like a thousand dollars right after the game sold out. On game day they were almost face.

Soccer games just aren't all that profitable for ticket scalpers here. Of all the past US games vs South American opposition, granted they were friendlies, most tickets were going for face or less.