Copa America Centenario ticket prices outrageous!

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by italiancbr, Feb 4, 2016.

1. Chinombre

Chinombre Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Either Copa has changed their ticket pricing model, or they've released tickets previously unavailable to the public. I could swear that for the initial single-match public onsale (Pasadena), the cheapest seats were $110. Now I'm seeing tickets for as low as $62. Hmmmm....?

2. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    too much supply, low demand

3. Fedechat

Fedechat Member

Argentina
    Apr 30, 2014
    South Florida, USA
    Is not easy to fill out those big stadiums and I haven't see many commercials regarding this tournament.

I got an email on the weekend that one of my venue pass tickets (Foxborough Venue Pass) have been printed.

4. safcfan

safcfan Member

Feb 28, 2003
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Going to Bolivia v Chile in Foxborough. I've been checking ticketmaster & stubhub. While prices are still crazy high, they are going down (slightly) on stubhub. I will probably just show up and try to buy from someone onsite and see if I can get a deal. I think it will work since it is unlikely the game will sell out, so worst case I buy at box office...in fact, I think most first round games will not sell out.

5. Federico Insua

Independiente
    Argentina
    Jan 30, 2014
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I can sell you at face value that match, I have tix in the lower level. If you're looking for cheaper than cost, then I guess you can try buying at the stadium from someone desperate. As for me, I rather invite some friends for free rather than sell for below cost. If interested or you have any to exchange, PM me. Good luck!

6. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Actually it was created by some greedy bastards, whom used their positions in Conmebol and Concacaf, where they thought that through it, they were going to fill their pockets with enough money to not have to worry any more about it, for the rest of their life.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    And they just happened to be within the Conmebol and Concacaf.

8. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Conmebol and Concacaf, took over the "relay", once those crooks were "caught", as they were pretty much advanced and had lots of commercial agreements, where as it was going to cost lots more money to cancel it and pay the indemnizations for not respecting signed contracts, than the alternative which was to go on with the tournament.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    So representatives in the Concacaf and Conmebol took over for the crooks who were from Conmebol and Concacaf.

Rickdog repped this.
  10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Same thing as if a police man accepts some money in order to not give you a ticket.
    The police man is the crooked individual, using his position to charge with something.
    In this case you can't say that the whole police department is corrupt, and that it is all of them who charged you for some money.

You got to separate waters.

11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I agree with this.

The quote you initially replied to was not giving off an otherwise impression I hope.

Rickdog repped this.
  12. david92705

david92705 New Member

Apr 17, 2016
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Is anybody else having a problem trying to resell their tickets on Ticketmaster. I bought 2 venue passes for Levi stadium and Orlando but for some reason I can't resell them on Ticketmaster. I received my Levi Stadium tickets a week ago through UPS. I have a single ticket for every game. The Orlando passes are in the mail and should be here shortly.

13. Chinombre

Chinombre Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Just bought (3) USA/Colombia tickets below face value on eBay :)

Other than a handful of matches, the bottom has fallen out of the resale market, and I can't see it making a recovery. Relatively cheap/affordable tickets are available for most matches: http://www.stubhub.com/copa-america-centenario-tickets/grouping/1508283/

That said, I'll be at USA/Colombia, Brazil/Ecuador, Colombia/Paraguay. Woot woot!

HomietheClown repped this.
  14. safcfan

safcfan Member

Feb 28, 2003
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    Nice. It was just a matter of time. Looking at the Chile v Bolivia game, maybe half the tix have been sold...which is awful considering it is a weekend night. Though that is what happens when you pick a venue in the middle of nowhere lol.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Let's say by the time the game comes along 40,000 people are in attendance. Yes, it won't look all that fantastic on tv with almost 30,000 empty seats but it is still great attendance for a game between two teams that are not that popular in the USA nor have big populations when compared to other Latin American communities.
    And I doubt any place in South America would sell 40,000 tickets for that match outside of Santiago or La Paz.

16. safcfan

safcfan Member

Feb 28, 2003
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    OK, yeah sure. My point is they shouldn't have chosen a venue in the middle of nowhere, and charged so much for tix...for a first round game.
    FYI, they are closing about 1/3 of the seats of the stadium due to expected low ticket sales. So only 2/3 of stadium's seats will even be available for purchase. It seats ~70,000, so if it sells out they will only have ~47,000 in attendance. As of now only half (at best) of tickets have been sold...so you are looking at ~24,000 in attendance today....maybe add another 6-8k by kickoff time if your optimistic.

Again, that is OK. But they could have done better had they chosen a better venue and had lower ticket price. Or chosen a venue where 30k people pack a small stadium...being in a 70k person stadium less than half full sucks as a fan.

Anyway, I'm still going and will have fun...just disappointed in the organization.

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well there was only so much they can do.

If they pick and choose and rig it like the Gold Cup everyone would say hey that is Mickey Mouse and the CONMEBOL was just focused on making Money!

Having a random draw instead made it like this where some stadiums will be empty.
    Can't have it both ways.

18. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It's not just the random draw though, it's the ticket prices in general, especially for the group stage.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They are making money at record pace so I don't know if it matters much to them if Bolivia - Chile is half empty.

20. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I very much doubt that will be the only game played to a half empty stadium. As pointed out earlier, the resale market for many games is slowly but surely collapsing.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I very much doubt that whatever stadiums with empty seats in the Group stage have any impact overall on the financial gains of the tournament as a whole.

And NFL stadiums half empty still means more people than most full South American hosting Copa America stadiums. And American dollars are what they care about.

22. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I really wasn't commenting on how much money the tournament is likely to make, but on the seeming mismatch between venue size and ticket pricing. As safcfan points out, playing games in half-empty stadia doesn't exactly add to the atmosphere.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    True.
    And I am in the camp that thinks using only NFL/ American Football Stadiums was not the way to go.
    But that is the way they decided to go and it provided the least conflicts and most economical options in their minds.

Plus the only alternative was to rig it like the Gold Cup as I said which would have made everyone complain.

24. safcfan

safcfan Member

Feb 28, 2003
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    We are having two different conversations. You are focused on the economics of the tournament, which no one is disputing. We all know they will make plenty of cash off of tv rights alone.
    I (and M?) are saying the fans/consumers are being short-changed. I am not naive enough to think economics will take a backseat to fan experience...but it doesn't have to mean I/we have to like it. Half the reason of having these message boards is to complain...let me vent ;)

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ha.