Copa America Centenario ticket prices outrageous!

Discussion in 'Copa América Centenario 2016' started by italiancbr, Feb 4, 2016.

1. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    The tickets went on sale today and I looked at ticket prices and I couldn't find a single ticket under triple digits! And that's including the games where the teams haven't been announced yet. I understand this is an exciting tournament but this is the U.S. and even the NFL doesn't charge those prices. Do they really think they can sell out games in 60,000+ capacity stadiums with games between Haiti-Peru and Panama-Venezuela charging these kinds of crazy prices? In the group stages I think we're going to see a lot of empty seats in games not involving the four seeded teams. Anyone know what the face value prices are? There's no way I'd pay anywhere close to the posted prices for a tournament I can watch for free at home.

AZUL GALAXY repped this.
  2. Chinombre

Chinombre Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Are you sure that's not the price for the venue pass (includes all matches at the venue)? My understanding was individual games wouldn't be sold until after the first two phases of venue pass sales.

I purchased a $200 Rose Bowl venue pass, which works out to about $65/match. For me it seems like a good value because I'll get to see Brazil + one match TBD; the third match is Mexico, which I should easily be able to resell given the rabid supporters here.

nfiniti repped this.
  3. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Same here, bought Levi's venue pass for $315 (cheapest option $240) but that is for 4 games, including opening game (US v ?), Arg v ?, Group 3 2nd seed against 3rd, and a quarter final game (1st of group 3 v 2nd of group 4).

4. italiancbr

italiancbr Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I did see the venue packages but the cheapest for three games was $180 plus processing fees and taxes. So it would work out to over $60 a game for the lowest priced tickets which is utterly ridiculous. If we're being honest, this is just a glorified friendly tournament designed to make money. Why else would Conmebol celebrate their centenary by having a tournament in a country outside it's confederation? Imagine if one of the Concacaf teams manages to win the tournament. And to top it all off the Euro's are starting during the middle of the tournament. I think this would be more compelling if there was an announcement that Concacaf and Conmebol were merging and this was the first tournament of the new confederation. The way that they're marketing this as a once-in-a-lifetime tournament doesn't do it for me. I'll just watch at home on free tv and save myself the money.

5. Fedechat

Fedechat Member

Argentina
    Apr 30, 2014
    South Florida, USA
    Since they can't make extra money for "selling" the broadcasting rights, they are passing/charging that fee to us ;-(

6. FallOfFingolfin

Mar 5, 2009
    Illinois
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On StubHub, cheapest ticket for USMNT in Chicago is over $100 after fees. Argentina even more. Hopefully those prices come down as more tickets sell and the market starts to develop.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Once individual tickets go on sale I bet you could get cheap tickets for the match against Costa Rica. Demand won't be that high.

8. Federico Insua

Independiente
    Argentina
    Jan 30, 2014
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I have tickets to Usa vs Costa Rica, if you want to trade for it contact me. I would like Argentina vs. Chile and also Boston QF. I know theres another thread about exchanges but you happened to mention this match, so I thought it wasnt off-topic.

9. Chinombre

Chinombre Member

Feb 4, 2016
  10. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Yes absolute rip off doing venue passes - bad enough for the locals but even worse for the international traveler/visitor.

11. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    I think part of it is trying to get back some money people have had to pay - I have paid for 6 or so games but will be attending only 2!!

12. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    I will have one for the Boston (Foxborough) QF but will wait until nearer the time before selling.

13. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Idk, for me is not so bad (Santa Clara Venue Pass) I Get to watch US v. Colombia, Argentina v. Chile, Uruguay v. Jamaica, and a Quarter Final (Winner group C v. Runner-Up group D). I bought my passes for $315 each. The cheapest resale single ticket for Argentina v. Chile is going for $250 right now (worst seat than mine), for US v. Colombia is close $200 too.

HomietheClown repped this.
  14. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Good to hear that it worked for you. I have not studied the draw so have not checked who is likely to be in the Foxborough QF.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There is a good chance it will be Argentina - Uruguay. But it also could be any permutation or combination of Mex/Uru vs. Arg/Chile. And of course there could be a surprise team who shows up.

16. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Thanks. I will try and get some cash for my ticket then!

17. monere

monere Guest

yeah, expect to pay those prices. It's "normal" for such competitions... kind of. This reminds me of my time in Germany during the 2006 WC (no, I wasn't at the WC but I happened to be in Germany at that time because my father, who had business there, took me with him). Anyway... I remember that after competition started it was impossible to find tickets to ANY game, even on black market (is that the right term??). Our German hosts told us that the only tickets that they could get for us (me and my father) should we really want to attend this unique event would be for a single match only. Namely, Saudi Arabia vs Tunisia, and that we would have to pay.... 800 EURO for EACH ticket. I don't remember if we asked our hosts if they happened to know how much a ticket to the final would be (if there was any available, which I doubt anyway), or if they knew and told us, but I would assume that it would cost at least 5-6k EUROS. Needless to say that our jaws dropped when we heard the prices, which were for a damn Saudi Arabia vs Tunisia game anyway.

So, I think it's fair that you should expect such prices :)

18. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    ....but what is NOT fair is one has to by a VENUE pass here, and there is no follow my team option, i.e. tickets for every Brazil game for example. And this is not a World Cup of course either.

19. monere

monere Guest

I sympathize with you, but, I was just trying to say that is somehow normal for these types of competitions to hurt your pocket :)

20. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    Is it though? Judging by the surprise expressed by some here and elsewhere it does stink! Oh well, tickets bought and paid for so bring it on!!

21. monere

monere Guest

agreed. I've never been at such a tournament specifically because of this :)

22. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England
    It is part holiday for me coming from England, so will take it - the prices - on the chin!

monere repped this.
  23. Chinombre

Chinombre Member

Feb 4, 2016
    Prices for some matches have plummeted on Stubhub.

Most notably, gobs of Jamaica v Venezuela in Chicago are available starting at $23. Makes you wonder how much lower it could go once the remainder of tickets are released for individual sale.

24. Denilson70

Denilson70 Member

May 29, 2001
    England

It they are released for individual sale then that is potentially unfair to those who bought the venue passes. C'est la vie though!

25. Eber1990

Eber1990 Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    fairness is a foreign concept for CONMEBOL and CONCACAF

IASocFan and monere repped this.