Copa America 2024 - General Thread

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by KRCSoccer, Oct 13, 2022.

1. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    There will be a flood of tickets available tomorrow. I imagine that will drop the price for the lower demand games. On the flip side, I'm not sure General Public sale will be any cheaper for the Argentina games.

2. Red Crash

Red Crash Member

Santa Fe
    Colombia
    Jun 20, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    10 mins in only see a few tickets for semis , all arg games don't show anything new only re-sale, all ppl who didn't buy in the pre sale got ********ed big time

ganapordiego and Paul Calixte repped this.
  3. Humble Argentinian

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 27, 2022
    Was able to get ARG-CHL at 250, were at 170 during presale.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I see they closed the upper deck sections for some games so they can inflate prices by creating an artificial low supply. Why not just play the game at the MLS stadium then?

marianelah repped this.
  5. Melkien

Melkien New Member

Argentina
    Jun 20, 2022
    I really dont understand how you guys got this. I've been checking since presale and only find tickets at 350+

6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I will admit, though, it's a pleasant surprise to see the dynamic pricing work on the other end of the spectrum: you can find tickets for the games at smaller MLS venues (e.g. Orlando and KC) for as low as $45.

7. Loco

Loco BigSoccer Yellow Card

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    I just went into the CONMEBOL website to look at the ticket prices and compare to the tix I bought in the presale offer. I got tix for Arg-Peru and Arg-Chile; and the prices actually look like they doubled in price$$. The CONMEBOL website took me to the TicketMaster website to buy the tickets . . . yeah, they fans are getting screwed as always.

Glamourboy10 repped this.
  8. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Maybe he is excluding the ticketmaster fee? Its something like 20-25% so quite ridiculous. The fee on a pair of $250 tickets is no joke.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Cause NFL stadiums at half capacity are still larger than most MLS stadiums at full capacity.

10. Humble Argentinian

River Plate
    Argentina
    Jul 27, 2022
    I think everyone is talking about prices without fees, so, yes, those tickets are 300 including fees, less than the 350+ @Melkien saw, all I can say is that they disappeared quite quickly today compared to the presale.

11. Elgodie7

Elgodie7 New Member

River Plate
    Argentina
    Feb 7, 2024
    Still seeing section 101 and 126 without tickets for all Metlife games - those are the sections behind the goals. Do we think they are holding them for supporter groups?

12. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1762187564289560720 is not a valid tweet id

Nico Limmat, Paul Calixte and BocaFan repped this.
  13. Glamourboy10

Glamourboy10 Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Dallas,TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    On the black market, yes! FIFA determines the prices and the use a different system altogether and it will direct you to fifa.com not tm or the other fraudster charging ridiculous fees. All group prices will be the same regardless of the team. So rest easy mate.

majspike, BocaFan and seba316 repped this.
  14. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    I get why the games are in NFL stadiums primarily, makes more sense to sell 40-45K out of 70K than sellout 20K despite the atmosphere being worse. Here’s what I don’t get — why do CONMEBOL and co prefer to enable Ticketmaster, SeatGeek and VividSeats to ratchet up the prices on consumers through an unfair system predicated on massive fees and a secondary market (where they hit the resellers with another fee and the end buyer)? Versus just taking more of the margin themselves and keeping the prices lower for fans (and having the stadiums be more full).
    Is it because of the deals the stadiums have with the sites? And they’re just hamstrung and have to enable that? Because it 100% takes profit out of the federations pockets by not having a more controlled lottery system that’s centralized similar to the World Cup.

15. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    This tournament will be drawing a minuscule amount of international travelers given how they sold the tickets. And if the market continues to look like this as the games draw over we will see some comically empty stadiums, even for good games. At current price point we won’t hit even 70% capacity for any of the US games in the stadiums we are playing in.

Nico Limmat repped this.
  16. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Unfettered capitalism, baby! Gotta love it! :unsure:

17. Loco

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Tournament revenues are mostly driven from other sources instead of tickets. I read a story which stated that in 2019 only 67% of the tickets were sold, but it was the most profitable Copa America ever (up to that date).

I think that its very easy to predict that Copa 24 will have a much higher attendance than Copa 19, and the revenues will be much higher from the other streams (TV contracts, merch, etc). That's why it doesn't make sense to me that the fans are getting screwed with the higher prices. IMO, it makes much more sense for organizers to fill the stadiums to the max (even if that means selling some tix at discount) since the real revenues are from other streams.

And as far as "who will travel to the games" - albeit, my opinion is very influence bc I live in Miami where it seems everyone is from South America, but I can't see why/how South Americans/Mexicans fans won't be traveling. Mexico has some games at home (I consider California, Texas and Nevada home games for el Tri) and South Americans travel easily to the US. I dunno, I think we will do in the traveling part as well.

18. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    fans aren’t being screwed by the organizers. It’s the ticketing sites in partnership with the stadiums doing the screwing. My question is why do the organizers allow for that? It’s a poor strategy.

Nico Limmat and BocaFan repped this.
  19. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they'll do what they can get away with until Congress finally finds the guts to deliberate on Ticketmaster and co.'s market capture.

HomietheClown repped this.
  20. Loco

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Why do organizations do that? follow the money and kick backs.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I cannot wait until we actually have other stuff to talk about in this thread other than tickets and prices.

wixson7 and majspike repped this.
  22. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because they would have to build a ticketing platform with distribution; tech; staff.. etc. Too expensive and not worth the effort. Just hand it off to one of the monopolies and get paid. FIFA has their own platform built on Secutix. And as useless as they can be; the FIFA model is based on keeping tickets for the fans.

BocaFan and nycfc919 repped this.
  23. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The drunken fights! They’ll be plenty

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Haha. That will happen indeed.

Back to ticket prices though. I heard that the Colombia - Brasil match is one of the highest priced right now. Even more than the Semis.

Which is crazy cause if things go chalk it may be a meaningless game with benchers.

I think that is what is most insane about this. If people are patient and wait till match day there may be some really cheap tickets for many matches.
    But it is really risky for out of towners so it will mostly be locals that have that luxury of course. Or people who just do not care if they spend a lot or not knowing if they get lucky , even better.

nycfc919, majspike and ganapordiego repped this.
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I know for Venezuela-Jamaica tickets were going for like $7 back in 2016 for the Centenario day of match on Vividseats. So those type of teams fans should be patient.

marianelah repped this.