Copa America 2024 - General Thread

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by KRCSoccer, Oct 13, 2022.

1. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    They need to re-take some elementary math courses because 90k people paying $75 average on tickets generates more revenue than 45k paying $150 avg on tickets (after you include the revenue from parking, drinks, advertisements, etc.).

2. seba316

seba316 Member

Barcelona
    Uruguay
    Jan 30, 2014
    Canada
    Club:
    CA Peñarol
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I suspect that they don't expect full stadiums for most matches regardless of price.

wixson7, nycfc919 and marianelah repped this.
  3. BByliner

BByliner Member

Athletic Club
    South Korea
    Apr 18, 2018
    Washington, D.C.
    So anybody who bought tickets today can now flip them and sell them for those logging in to the presale tomorrow and the general sale at even more inflated prices? This is a complete con. If FIFA allows the third party ticket providers to sell tickets like this -- with each stadium setting their own prices and working with these providers -- we are loking at a massive money grabbing scramble.

4. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    How does it work on ticketmaster ?
    U buy today, u sell on the same day , on the same website if you want ? my friends are going and they Argentina game but they were complaining some prices, in the same section, were double of some neighbour seats..thats mad. Like face value and inflated tickets in the same raw ?! Is that correct ?

5. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Is that facevalue of tickets or a reseller who bought before u and just relisted them ?

6. BByliner

BByliner Member

Athletic Club
    South Korea
    Apr 18, 2018
    Washington, D.C.
    Yes I believe that's right. I'm not even sure if the ticket prices we saw at the presale were face value or some early folks flipping them. I have a feeling federation people and others who grabbed tickets early flipped them today itself. So essentially I'm not sure that the face value is. It's completely opaque.

mazinio repped this.
  7. BByliner

BByliner Member

Athletic Club
    South Korea
    Apr 18, 2018
    Washington, D.C.
    If anybody has seen Copa America say how they priced the tickets let me know. But it seems to me they've let the stadium owners in coordination with Seatgeek and Ticketmaster set their own prices, and it strikes me as a blatant con.

8. MacPhistoTerp

MacPhistoTerp Member

United States
    Mar 25, 2009
    Treasure Island, FL
    Club:
    Cork City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They were definitely face value. Only 1 venue had reslae even enabled and nothing was listed yet. The resale tickets are pink on the map, the face value tickets are blue

9. Loco

Loco BigSoccer Yellow Card

River Plate
    Argentina
    May 1, 2005
    Miami
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    They were "face value" but the cost of a tix for the games were not all priced the same. Depending on the teams playing and location, the face value varied.

nycfc919 repped this.
  10. BByliner

BByliner Member

Athletic Club
    South Korea
    Apr 18, 2018
    Washington, D.C.
    Yes thats right. Each stadium had different prices and different systems. 2 things strike me about the whole thing. Conmebol never has said how much tickets were supposed to be, at least as far as I know. Instead we had to wait for when the presale window opened — at a time when you are just ready to buy things. Kind of like when stores used to open on Black Friday and you would see people trampling over each other to grab stuff. Dynamic pricing X 100.

Yes you expected the fact that the US would jack up prices dramatically. But it seems to me this has been a money grabbing exercise to the benefit of NFL teams or whoever else owns the stadiums. And it gets even more unfair to the folks who come behind. I get that this doesnt apply to all games and some games may have lower demand. And nobody is putting a gun to anybody’s head to buy anything. But it’s just messed up. That’s all.

wixson7 and marianelah repped this.
  11. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The platform makes money when they sell and when you resell. It’s a massive legal scam. Only in America!

seba316 and mazinio repped this.
  12. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    “ Face value” means market value. They use dynamic pricing so if the market is at 180… great for them. I think most games will drop in price. They sent out all these codes to catch the hot money and test the market.

13. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Did they put all tickets for sale today in the pre sale ? Or they list by batches to give chance to everyone in coming pre-sales or next week general sales ?
    So lets say all tickets of Arg x Peru were sold today, does it mean no more left for next week (except those who list them for resale) ?

14. nycfc919

nycfc919 Member+

Aug 17, 2015
    I think this take is probably directionally accurate at least, so I felt ~stupid buying tickets this early as the "hot money." That said, I only bought tickets for one of the semifinals and the Argentina match in ATL. I figured that, despite being quite expensive (taking into accounts taxes & fees), those will retain resale value down the line unless the semifinal has neither Brazil or US. And that the prices down the line in the resale market have a better chance than not of being more expensive than what I bought for.

For most of the other games....probably makes sense to wait and see?

15. uuaww

uuaww Member+

Nov 21, 2007
    New Orleans, LA
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    got my tickets for usa bolivia. if anyone needs a code lmk, i only bought 4 tickets with one and none with the other and i think you can do 12.

16. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I managed to get tickets for Argentina vs (Canada or T&T) and Uruguay vs USA.

wixson7 repped this.
  17. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    Yes, seems they left it up to the stadium owners, and it's market pricing (so tix prices can go up)

*** for the 3 games at Metlife Stadium, tix prices were starting at $200 at the beginning of the pre-sale, and those same tix are now starting at $300. this is face value.

***Orlando tix starting at $60
    ***Atlanta tix starting at $103.
    ***miami tix starting at $96 (except of course the Argentina game, those start at $300++)
    ***Dallas tix starting at $80 (that's surprising)

18. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    I can't believe how much the tix for the Metlife games are.. the semi is right now $300+ in the nosebleeds.

19. nfiniti

nfiniti Member

Jun 30, 2007
    Rutherford
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Panama
    The tix prices for the Atlanta games are decent.
    Orlando tix prices are decent also.
    Even the 1st game at Dallas is decent.

metlife is just ridiculous

20. Imtiaz

Imtiaz Member

United States
    Feb 23, 2018
    Metlife prices are ridiculous. I regret buying them. What's the point of all these codes? Dynamic prices where same ticket changes proce in minutes on official platform is insanity.

It's at a price point where better to just watch on TV for me.

It would be almost same price to fly to a different venue and watch a cheaper game that I would enjoy more ..

nfiniti repped this.
  21. Imtiaz

Imtiaz Member

United States
    Feb 23, 2018
    Part of me wishes 2026 world cup wasn't in USA. It's better for ppl like me - tickets are cheaper but u have travel accomodation cost - I get to tour a different continent...

In usa all the money will be spent on tickets.. overall cost of wc.woild be same or more. Bad deal!!

nfiniti and mazinio repped this.
  22. Imtiaz

Imtiaz Member

United States
    Feb 23, 2018
    I think resale value will be cheaper later. Should have just waited.

23. GoalGoalUSA

GoalGoalUSA Member

Apr 15, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For context, this is not uncommon for NYC sports in the playoffs. We try to not think about it. But Knicks, Rangers, Yankees would easily top that for a semi final (you guessed it, sold through ticketmaster).

nfiniti repped this.
  24. BByliner

BByliner Member

Athletic Club
    South Korea
    Apr 18, 2018
    Washington, D.C.
    Interestingly Seatgeek appears to have disabled the ability to resell tickets now. It was definitely available earlier on, and even when I logged in right when the window opened earlier today, there were tickets being resold. Their code also has stopped working for many people, which sucks ‘cause I was hoping to see what kind of tickets were available for each presale window and then in the general window next week. So they are effectively limiting the ability of people to know whether they over-paid for tickets.

I suspect Seatgeek priced the tickets high this morning right when they knew the demand was highest — and it’s led to a disparity of how much people are paying for similar seats. If they do sell new batches of tickets available for later presale windows and the general window at a lower price than they have this morning, it means they clearly and deliberately fleeced people.

25. BByliner

BByliner Member

Athletic Club
    South Korea
    Apr 18, 2018
    Washington, D.C.
    I’m not sure about NYC tickets. But from my experience buying playoff tix both as a season ticket holder and not, the teams sell their tickets directly to the fans. They tend to be high but there’s transparency. If you buy tickets in that window you are paying a set price. If you are not a season ticket holder your chances of nabbing one are low and you are left to go to the likes of Seatgeeks.

If what Conmebol and the US have done is successful, and it will be, FIFA will do this for 2026 guaranteed. Not for every game because they can’t. But USMNT, Argentina, England… There’s no limits here. We are talking about NFL owners here who own the stadiums that will host the games.

Humble Argentinian repped this.