Copa America 2024 - General Thread

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by KRCSoccer, Oct 13, 2022.

1. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    #501 GerVZLA, Dec 8, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
    I think he refers to the fact that on paper, and in the here and now there is no clear favorite to win group B, as in A it could be Argentina, as in C it could be Uruguay and as in D it could be Brazil and Colombia.

It would not be a surprise if Ecuador, or Venezuela, or Mexico were left out in B. It would be a surprise if Argentina was left out in A, Uruguay was left out in C, and Brazil or Colombia were left out in D.

I already commented previously that the "home team" of CONCACAF does not seem to matter in CONMEBOL, and I did so by presenting numbers that were very telling.

Just like a better Mexico than the current one comfortably won against a much worse Venezuela than the current one in the Copa America Centenario in 2016?

Oh no, wait, they managed to only draw there!

Not even Argentina, Brazil, Colombia and Uruguay would say that they beat Venezuela "comfortably"

Argentina 1 - 2 Uruguay, and Uruguay raises the 16th

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #502 HomietheClown, Dec 8, 2023
    Technically "on paper" Mexico is ranked in the FIFA rankings at 14 (the other teams are not even close) and let's not kid ourselves, they are a de facto home team which helps them play better. The other teams have an uphill battle based on those factors on paper.

Yes, there can be an argument that Mexico is overrated and that Ecuador and Venezuela are playing much better than them. But when push comes to shove I see Mexico in a very winnable Group and with the intangibles in their favor. And assuming things go chalk in Group A they will have a relatively simple road to the semis compared to the other bracket.

3. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    A mi si me dejó, pon los datos de facturación de tu tarjeta de crédito.

4. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    #504 GerVZLA, Dec 8, 2023
    Technically, the FIFA Ranking is less objective than the ELO Ranking. The ELO presents the current situation better and not so much the past. The ELO Ranking presents things like this:

5 Ecuador 1883
    6 Mexico 1799
    7 United States 1776
    8 Panama 1766
    9 Venezuela 1760

Except for Ecuador, which is very far away, there is only a 29-point difference between Venezuela and Mexico.

Only a victory for Venezuela over Mexico is enough for it to pass in the ELO ranking.

The group is winnable for Mexico, in the same way as it is for Ecuador and even for Venezuela.

It is not like in A where Argentina is a 9-point favorite, or C where 9 points are expected from Uruguay, or D where Colombia and Brazil are expected to be the ones to enter the quarterfinals.

Group B is different, and literally anyone puts their foot in anyone, anyone is left out and anyone advances. There would be no "surprises" in B because everything is within the range of expectations, regardless of your guts or preferences.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    That does seem to give a better snapshot of how they are playing at the moment. I did say that argument can be made.
    But that still does not take into account the intangibles and history that has been mentioned.
    Psychological factors come into play and that is not easily quantifiable.
    We are talking about chances and not absolutes.
    Chances are with Mexico to win this Group. Will they absolutely win? No one can say that of course.
    But looking at how they could have ended up like USA for instance they much rather have their easier route at the Semis than having to play teams like Uruguay, Colombia or Brasil.

6. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    I agree with the possibilities that Mexico may have, and I add that they are the same as those that Ecuador and Venezuela may have, it is a group of 4, very even, where they classify 2.

What I do not agree with at all is that Mexico "comfortably" wins the group as previously mentioned.

Not only does it sound arrogant, but it also speaks of ignorance about current football events of the competing teams.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am objectively calling it as I see it. Arrogance would be a Mexican fan saying it without merit or without any argument.

Comfortably winning the Group when compared to the discomfort of them playing in other Groups with better teams. As I specified, it is all relative.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    To you the chances are the same for all three of those teams to win the Group. Great.
    Just difficult for me to see it the same as you obviously. But there is a lot of time between now and June and a few friendlies to gauge things so we shall see.

Agree to disagree for now.

9. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    The same could be said in reference to Mexico winning their group "comfortably", that reads like "Mexico winning 9 out of 9 and scoring 3 goals in all their games."

That is to be expected from Uruguay in C and Argentina in A. Do you really expect that from Mexico in B?

Sorry, but it is impossible for me to see Mexico with the favoritism in its group that Argentina, Uruguay or Colombia/Brazil may have in theirs, and I don't see any football arguments that support them beyond the history that don't play on the field.

If Mexico wins with the shirt, that May be in CONCACAF, I don't think that players who don't care about the Real Madrid shirt will be bothered by Mexico's.

sidspaceman repped this.
  10. AMooz

AMooz Member

Manchester United
    Argentina
    Jul 5, 2022
    Texas
    IMG_8061.png

me da este error, no me deja escribir mi dirección y no me deja pasar, “debo completar la dirección “ :(

11. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    Ahhh ya vi, yo completé el formulario del portal de la Copa América, y tú estás llenando el del portal de la AFA

Intenta con el de la Copa América colocando la dirección con exactamente la misma de los datos de facturación de tu TDC.

12. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    #512 GerVZLA, Dec 8, 2023
    Andres Agulla has exactly the same vision that I have.

I don't know where Mexico's favoritism comes from such that it allows them to win their group "comfortably"

13. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He’s confusing individual talent with team play. Jamaica is a mess as a team. Mexico will beat them comfortably in game 1. In Game 2 Mexico will eliminate Venezuela and need a draw match 3 to qualify first.
    Venezuela is Venezuela until they prove they’re not Venezuela. Perhaps if they manage to qualify to a World Cup at some point? Respect is earned on the field with results. Ecuador is often a promising team and flames out. That’s where the confidence comes in.

14. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    #514 GerVZLA, Dec 8, 2023
    Is not qualifying for a World Cup the yardstick with which you measure the current football status of the national teams?

I wonder if Venezuela played in CONCACAF, would it have already qualified for a World Cup? Venezuela does not play against El Salvador or Honduras, we play against Colombia, Brazil, Uruguay, Argentina, Ecuador, Chile, Perú!

Keep watching soccer in CONCACAF and showing how little understanding you have of the current situation of the South American teams.

Precisely Venezuela's strength is team play, block play, and Agulla comments from the individual to the collective.

I'm not saying that we're going to beat anyone, what I'm saying is that the group is very even and I don't see a clear favorite, so I don't know where you (and specially You) get that saying that "Mexico will win their group comfortably"

COMFORTABLY” hahaha what a joke!

vancity eagle repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I also said I hope I am wrong and they lose all three games.
    Which is a possibility...
    ... but in my opinion chances are they win all three games and win the group comfortably. They will probably destroy Jamaica as they usually do in a situation like this and get confidence. Find a way to beat Venezuela and Ecuador for the 9 points.

The battle will be for second for the other teams.

edcalvi repped this.
  16. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess we’ll never know.! What we do know is they’ve never been to a World Cup and will probably miss the next.

17. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    Oh please Marianela, you say that from the guts, from what you want, and based on absolutely nothing more than your desire to bother hahahaha

So childish hahaha

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well you should read it in another way then.
    Comfortably to me means they will get the 9 points and the other teams might get a bunch of draws making Mexico have a large lead in the points cause their intangibles make the difference.

19. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    You sure? Are you reading what @marianelah is posting?

:D:D:D:D

O sea, tu posteas desde el respeto mientas esta tipa postea con clara mala intención y desde el más profundo menosprecio!

20. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I say it based on history and yes; gut feeling. I’m Central American and don’t like Mexico much. But I know they turn I to something different playing in the US; and they often get help. We’ll see how it pans out.

21. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    Y dije estar de acuerdo contigo agregando algunas otras cositas.

Insisto, tu posicionas una válida y respetable opinión desde la base del respeto, pero esta tipa postea con clara mala intención y con cero objetividad, además mucho desconocimiento sobre actualidades (y no soy el único que lo ha visto de esa manera).-

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nothing wrong at all with saying things based on history and past trends.

That is why handicapping and odds makers use those factors in helping them figure out bets.

r0adrunner repped this.
  23. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    Fortunately your opinion is irrelevant, my friend.

I am satisfied with knowing that the opinion I have is shared by one of the most recognized journalists on the planet football, a winner of Emmy awards for sports journalism.

And I definitely prefer to stay with the opinion of that journalist who has demonstrated knowledge and objectivity throughout all of his years of career than the opinion of a person whose football knowledge is limited to what CONCACAF teams can or cannot perform.

Greetings

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Cause we all know journalists always get predictions right. Especially when it comes to tournaments that rarely happen between two confederations.

r0adrunner and marianelah repped this.
  25. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hope my opinion is irrelevant in your adult life. Because it’s just an opinion and changes nothing. Same for the Emmy guys opinion. Means nothing; it’s just words with a point of view.

majspike repped this.