Copa America 2024 - General Thread

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by KRCSoccer, Oct 13, 2022.

1. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    What do Mexicans even do at games? Drink beer and shout "put0"?

lmao even the altitude in DF sounds more intimidating than that.

PJ234, Cosmin10, DrScorpio and 1 other person repped this.
  2. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s not a conspiracy. That’s the way concacaf has done things in the past to maximize Mexican fan revenue. It’s a business model that works. FIFA did it in Qatar; Mexico and Argentina played in Lusail every game. Except for the first match when they played the same day. I think They assigned stadiums until after the draw. It’s a business model; because soccer is a business.

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Just saying every little thing counts. Every little advantage is a factor.
    Mexico is more likely to advance when they have the support in the stands.
    Sure, with the way they are playing they can lose or draw to anyone right now but it is less likely they lose in front of packed capacity crowds in the Group stage.

AMLO2018 repped this.
  4. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    Home advantage statistically makes the home team win more times than not, you cherry-picked some examples of the second case in your other post, but that doesn't mean that home advantage doesn't play a role.

Here's how I see the things, considering the tournament is being played in the USA:

Definitely better than Mexico:
    • Argentina
    • Brazil
    • USA
    • Uruguay
    • Colombia
    • Ecuador
    Could go either way (Mexico has a slighter better chance of wining due to playing in the USA):
    • Venezuela
    • Panama (Third-best team in CONCACAF right now, imo)
    • Canada
    Mexico would be favored to beat them 60%-70% of the times in this tournament:
    • Chile (Perhaps they could go into the upper section, due to their past history)
    • Jamaica
    • Paraguay
    Definitely worse than Mexico:
    • Peru
    • Bolivia
    • Honduras / Costa Rica

Obviously, as HomietheClown said, nothing is set in stone, that's why we watch the tournament. Mexico could perhaps beat Ecuador and then lose to Bolivia, that's how football works. Ultimately, I think they will end up getting eliminated in quarterfinals, but let's see.

Best of luck to your country, Venezuela.

nfiniti repped this.
  5. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    It is a fact that the federations will try to favor some teams.

However, it is at least reckless to ensure that this favoring guarantees something.

And I return to the example of the Copa America Centenario, obviously for CONMEBOL it was important that Uruguay and Brazil reached at least quarterfinals, and they stayed in the first round, even taking into account the important economic and historical contribution that Brazil represents.

6. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    I insist, even this has dependencies, I don't think Mexico will be home Team against Colombia or Venezuela if it is played in Miami, for example.

I also insist that if they want to favor Mexico due to its economic weight, what they would do is match it against easier rivals and in locations that suit it (Texas, California).

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Brasil had a bit of bad luck because their manager sucked, they did not have some key figures on the squad who opted out to play other competitions and Peru had a goal that should not have been allowed (Pre VAR).

Uruguay just did not show up for some reason. The Uruguayan fans can talk more about that.

Upsets can occur. We know.

8. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico is at home anywhere in the USA. Even in Miami. They will buy up all the tickets even if they pay touts 600 plus. I sat next to a guy that paid 500 for each ticket for Nations League semi. Spent 2500 for his family. The dude was a gardener from LA. Drove in with his family to Vegas.I don’t see any other fan base blowing that much cash to watch a game. The national team is almost a religion for Mexicans in the USA

9. Ryan T Smith

Ryan T Smith Member

Borussia Dortmund
    United States
    May 10, 2022
    Well, I don't know. I remember watching a Mexico vs. El Salvador Gold Cup fixture at the Cotton Bowl in 2021 and on TV it looked pretty even, if not slightly favored towards El Salvador. No denying the popularity of Mexico, but I do think in certain pockets, it wouldn't be unthinkable for other teams to outnumber them.

GerVZLA repped this.
  10. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    #385 GerVZLA, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    That's good to know, then I'll probably buy about 20 tickets for Mexico games with my family to resell them hahaha

We understand how Mexicans are in general with their NT, many times they overestimate it and inflate it to levels that we South Americans do not understand.

Colombians and Venezuelans will also want to see their NT, and if they have it there in Miami, we are talking about 180,000 Colombians and more than 300,000 Venezuelans in Florida.

11. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’m Salvadoran and we’re just as crazy. Guatemala is another group. But we suck and watch on TV mostly.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #387 HomietheClown, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    As I said, New Jersey, Miami and New England Mexican fans would not be outnumbering Colombian fans (50-50 at best). I would say Brasil and Argentina too in those stadiums. Mexicans maybe even outnumbered by those bandwagon fans.

Hondurans in Miami and New Jersey also could probably outnumber them or 50-50 at best. Their fans would be pretty stoked to finally make it back after all these years. (Assuming they make it of course.)
    I remember when Honduras beat them in the Gold Cup in 2007 and the place (NJ) was about even split in support.

BocaFan, GoalGoalUSA and GerVZLA repped this.
  13. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s it? Flexing 180k and 300k…Mexicans outnumber both communities combined in Florida.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Peru also has a large contingent in Broward County near the stadium in Miami Gardens. That would be quite a split too I would imagine.

Paul Calixte, GoalGoalUSA and GerVZLA repped this.
  15. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Argentina being fixed to group A likely plays the inaugural match in Atlanta. I suspect Miami will be the hub for the team and that at least one of their group games will be scheduled @ Hard Rock Stadium by the organizers.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Could happen.

Although last time New Jersey only had one Group match because they also had a Quarter and the Final.

There's only so many matches to spread out and so many stadiums that want to host. Miami could just be the knockouts for all I know.

17. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    I don't know where you get that data from, but in Florida the largest foreign community is the Cuban, followed by the Puerto Rican, followed by the Venezuelan and followed by the Colombian

18. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Census data; that’s all. Perhaps it’s wrong. :rolleyes: IMG_8033.jpeg

19. Glamourboy10

Glamourboy10 Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Dallas,TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I could write a book about my accommodation experience SMH. Lucky u, managed 16games. Ya that was the beauty of Qatar if u were just there for the games. Watching x2 games a day was very doable. Infact some games had tix availability on game day. Hoping to catch the tail end of Copa, after my Euro 2024 excursion. Fingers crossed, Texas will get a quarter/semi. Just curious how the ticketing process will work, haven't much info on that yet. Hope they don't involve ticketmaster.

20. GoalGoalUSA

GoalGoalUSA Member

Apr 15, 2016
    New York
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this actually confirmed? The opening game of the WC was not the “first” game.

21. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Brazil's Globo Esporte has this report today about pre-Copa America friendlies (June 3 to 11 international break).

https://ge.globo.com/futebol/seleca...ntra-eua-e-mexico-antes-da-copa-america.ghtml

Reportedly Brazil will play both friendlies in the US, one against the US in Orlando, one against Mexico, location TBD. Article doesn't state which order they'll play in, seems like the US would be first though, but that's just a guess. Not final at this time, still negotiating, but these are the National team/CBF regular beat reporters and as reliable as it gets.

Glamourboy10 repped this.
  22. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    UEFA and FIFA both use secutix for ticketing. Europeans would revolt otherwise. Conmebol used tickmaster for Centenario. My bet is they’ll use Ticketmaster to maximize from the ticketing shenanigans. Everyone is USA has come to accept the Ticketmaster Mafia.

Glamourboy10 repped this.
  23. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True. The Colombian population in NY/NJ is close to that of Mexican-Americans. Part of the reason why I think it would be a mistake not to have both a quarterfinal and a semifinal played at MetLife Stadium. They (we) earned it based on 2016. NY got arguably the least attractive quarterfinal match in 2016 and it still sold out! 2 of the other quarters didn't even come close to a sellout.

Put pretty much any 2 teams from the first 3 pots on a field in NYC and it would sell out.

marianelah repped this.
  24. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar is owned by one dude that decided on a whim he wanted the opening match. And then he decided no alcohol a day before the first match. I think we’re safe here

25. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure where people get their stats. Maybe it’s just perception. But Mexicans outnumber every conmebol nation in all 50 states.
    IMG_8034.jpeg IMG_8035.jpeg