Copa America 2024 - General Thread

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by KRCSoccer, Oct 13, 2022.

1. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don’t actually. Mexico and Argentina bring the most fans. The English are scared of their own shadows lately. They were mostly absent in 2018 and 2022.

2. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    Well, depending on which group it is in, it is not at all certain that Mexico will advance.

For example, anyone from Pot 2 (except Peru) would be seeded in the same group with Venezuela from Pot 3 and, assuming Canada from Pot 4, that would be a very even group where any team can advance.

Hypothetical scenario, a group with this Uruguay, this Venezuela and this Mexico repeats itself like in the Centenario: Anything can happen
    Given what I have been able to see on YouTube, yes, that is what they dream of, just as it is, no more no less

3. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico will advance. Mexico not advancing would be a financial disaster. Even if they have to add 11 minutes to regulation time, Mexico will go thru.

4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True. I mean, 2022 was a bit of an exceptional/unappealing/crappy WC. But yeah, I wasn't sure if England had the most fans. Was just meant as an example (it would be just as ridiculous if Mexico got a WC #1 seed for bringing the most fans).

5. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    Thinking that simply adding 11 minutes will be enough to achieve results against teams of a higher level than Honduras is wrong. It would have to be something more blatant like inventing penalties or disallowing goals, very obvious things that would stain the Cup per se.

At most they would be paired with lower level teams, Peru in pot 2, avoiding Venezuela in pot 3…

marianelah and BocaFan repped this.
  6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    lol True. But all the pot 4 opponents look very beatable even for this Mexico team (especially with home advantage essentially). So, I think they'll advance even if they draw a good team from pot 2, though it won't be a breeze.

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Mexico's nightmare Group scenario would probably be Colombia (Or Uruguay)--Chile---Honduras.

8. Glamourboy10

Glamourboy10 Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Dallas,TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Crappy and unappealing in what sense?

9. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Unappealing in that Qatar does not have much to offer the tourist, especially for what attending a WC costs.

10. Glamourboy10

Glamourboy10 Member

Feb 12, 2014
    Dallas,TX
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Agreed on the tourism, the football was great though especially that final. Not sure l'd have used the word crappy though lol. Probably will be the same if not worse cost wise in 2034

soccer_23 and marianelah repped this.
  11. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    They'll most likely advance from the group stage no matter who are they grouped with, because they are in bad shape, but not that bad. They are likely going to beat all the pot 4 teams and are in better shape than Chile and Paraguay.

Anyway considering the restriction of max 2 CONCACAF teams per group and a minimum of 1, the most likely group for one of USA/MEX is:
    • MEX/USA
    • Pot 2 team
    • Panama
    • Bolivia
    I didn't do the Math myself, but according to Twitter, Bolivia is 90% guaranteed to be with one of Mex / USA and 63% chance of being paired with Panama.

HomietheClown repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    With a Group like that Mexico will most likely go through.
    Although I do like Bolivia's new coach and the new players he brought in.

Panama also could give Mexico a scare but probably will still find way to lose like in the Copa Oro.

BocaFan repped this.
  13. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    I don't think that will be enough, Bolivia are in my opinion even worse than in past cycles.

I think Bolivia and Peru are both going to go pointless unless they both land in the same group.

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    *Edit Bolivia was bad in 2016. Thought they tied Chile though but forgot they lost a close one.
    Peru won their Group.
    Peru always seems to get up for this tournament for some strange reason.

But I am not going to argue with your assessment. Both teams have an uphill battle to say the least.

Viking lord repped this.
  15. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    They will most likely end up entering the quarterfinals, but it also has to depend on the pairings.

Let's imagine a hypothetical group B like this:

Mexico
    Uruguay
    Venezuela
    Canada

In that group do you still think that Mexico would qualify easily?

16. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Qatar was the best World Cup if soccer is your thing. Got to see 38 games. From match 1 to 64. Stayed in an 87 dollar a night complex full of fans. The party never stopped. Free transportation to all the games. No drunks! Yet there was enough alcohol to enjoy a few drinks after each match. I’ll be lucky to watch 1 or 2 games for Copa America. Everyone’s expectations are different tho.

Glamourboy10 and PJ234 repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not easily, but still favored in each match. Mexico would have a huge home field advantage in each of those matches.

marianelah repped this.
  18. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They would beat Canada and Venezuela. Mexico is more at home in USA than at the Azteca.

AMLO2018 repped this.
  19. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    Argentina had complete home advantage against Uruguay and lost 2 to 0.

Brazil had complete home advantage against Venezuela and ended up tying.
    They had the same home advantage in the Centenario Cup in a group with Venezuela and Uruguay, that advantage was not enough against Venezuela and against Chile either.

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #370 HomietheClown, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    That was one game in Qualifying which is a different beast.
    A Cup is different.
    Also, Argentina usually does not play well in the Bombonera (or Monumental) against Uruguay. They should have played in Cordoba or Mendoza or something.

Seen this movie way too many times before.

I would say something like Match Day 1 - Destroy sacrificial Lamb Canada in Los Angeles or Texas in front of 80K fans. 3-0 or something.

Match Day 2 in front of 50K-60K play a tough close match against Venezuela but find a way to get some BS last second win.

Match Day 3 both them and Uruguay have 6 points play benchers in front of a not so big crowd but still pretty Pro-Mexican.

Mexico benchers beat Uruguay Benchers by some BS call.

marianelah repped this.
  21. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    #371 GerVZLA, Dec 1, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2023
    I don't know how you've seen this many times before if the only precedent I know of Mexico playing in the US against these rivals was during the Copa America Centenario.

Specifically, against Venezuela in Houston and before 72,000 spectators, Mexico managed to tie, being another Mexico, and definitely being another Venezuela

Likewise, just as Argentina does not normally play at home in La Bombonera, Mexico does not normally play at home in the US.

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    True, and this Venezuela is better and Mexico is worse.
    But I am just saying they are favored to win each match in this hypothetical scenario and that is the way I see it playing out.
    Of course I do not have a crystal ball and hope I am wrong. I hope they lose all three matches by a bunch of goals.

But I always go with my gut here.

23. GerVZLA

GerVZLA Member

Caracas FC
    Venezuela
    Nov 12, 2023
    Of course, I understand your point, mine is that even if they try to favor Mexico, perhaps even that would not be enough and it will depend too much on the fixture.

24. marianelah

marianelah Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is a very likely scenario. Get Mexico into the quarters. Even if it’s vs Argentina… guarantees one of the 2 big teams will carry the tournament til the end. Either as a finalist or a third place team.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They are being very sneaky behind the scenes.
    I do not think it is a coincidence they have not announced the Stadiums yet cause they know if Mexico somehow gets Colombia for instance they do not want them playing in Miami or in New Jersey or even New England.

Okay, I will take off my conspiracy theory hat off right now and say everything is on the up -and- up and there is no favoritism shenanigans going on at all.