Copa America 2021

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by Ofori, May 25, 2020.

1. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    That rhetoric is so boring isn't it? People have these "theories" assuming that these players don't want to play. With no proof to back it up. Hear it on a daily basis and it's beyond tiring.

2. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Players have the right to refuse playing if their lives are in danger: ARG refused to play 3 days before Copa America 2001, citing safety concerns.

Nobody got banned.

Also, my Covid-19 bingo card is looking better with each passing hour:

2 cases of Covid-19 in Colombian delegation: both are coaching staff members.
    https://apnews.com/article/colombia...rus-pandemic-08fade6aa2c63b0612d3ea76b635bc9a

BocaFan repped this.
  3. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Well, that proves @celito's point to a treat, that the players did want to play. Barring maybe Brazil who I personally think had a change of heart, and aren't as reluctant as they said.

4. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    It also shows the precedent that FIFA will not ban players if they stand up for their personal safety.

Some players are interested in getting paid during this tournament. Others can do without the money and the hassle.

Qatar and Australia really dogged a bullet here.

5. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Doesn't seem like the latter is true given only players who are missing this are the ones who actually got COVID or injured.

6. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    A few of those *injured* players were found playing scrimmages in Florida.

And that is fine, too. Players are entitled to a vacation, now the pandemic is winding down in some developed countries.

7. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    And no players are refusing to play the CA in Brazil. So ... moving on ...

Cosmin10 and SiempreCrema repped this.
  8. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I mean if you want to make theories that's up to you.

I am not 15 years old, so I'm out when that sort of stuff begins.

9. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    I'd rather discuss the game at this point than Covid-19 and politics.

chaski repped this.
  10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Alexis Sanchez out of CA with foot injury.

HomietheClown repped this.
  11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    They can't ban a player for refusing a call up to the NT. Messi's ban was different.

Players who refuse an NT call up will only suffer pressure from local press / fans and risk not being called up for the WC if the manager is pissed or somebody else does better than that player. Some high profile players can skip a CA and not be worried about a WC call up though. Players like Neymar, Messi, Suarez, and etc ... as long as they have good relationship with the manager.

12. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Yeah, I would too.

Too bad the BRA-VEN match is so lopsided thanks to external factors. Rather difficult to comment about it.

Real Copa America starts next: COL vs ECU.

13. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    That wasn't what I said at all, but OK.

14. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Misinterpreted it then.

SiempreCrema repped this.
  15. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Another brilliant comment by someone who earlier wrote:

Yet the CDC is now scheduling an emerging meeting because heart inflammation in vaccine recipients is higher than expected, and this includes 16-to-24 year olds.

Stick to soccer. As an Argentine, that's something on which you can at least make an argument you're entitled to speak on.

16. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Assuming you were addressing me: no, I won't.

A lot of hospitals were not crowded, and there was footage in hospitals both in the U.S. and in Brazil of NO lines and empty hospital beds. There was footage from years ago from Europe which was falsely used as footage from a hospital in the U.S.

Rates are down, both infection and fatalities. Texas opened fully 3 months ago, Democrats said it was "Neanderthal" and that it was dangerous: did you know Texas rates, both infections and deaths, have progressively DECREASED?

If you didn't know, why not? And don't even credit vaccines. Texas for example is not doing the vaccine passport crap. Fauci himself couldn't explain it and made a guess on live national TV (he used the word "lag," as if deadly pathogens "lag.").

FAUCI himself said the fatality rate is less than 1% in the 3/26/2020 edition of The New England Journal of Medicine.

17. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA

And Colombia has defeated Ecuador 1-0. With a draw vs. Argentina in their last match and a win at Peru by 3-0, it looks like the Colombians are coming back, after a poor string of results in late 20202's first WCQ matches.

18. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    You should follow your own advice.:rolleyes:

MIGkiller, BocaFan and Cosmin10 repped this.
  19. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    You calling out the others as well? :cautious:

20. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Everyone in this thread should follow this advice.

21. mfw13

mfw13 Member+

Jul 19, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Exactly.

Players turn down call-ups from their national teams all the time.

And now it turns out that Messi has not been vaccinated and is worried about contracting COVID-19.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/argenti...fesses-to-worrying-about-contracting-covid-19

So why the heck didn't he simply refuse to play????

The extent to which soccer players are unwilling to stand up for themselves and fight for fair labor conditions (i.e. fewer matches) is just flabbergasting to someone like me who lives in country where all the major sports have strong and powerful players' unions (including MLS).

22. BamBamZam1+8

BamBamZam1+8 Member

Jul 28, 2003
    I think Alexis being out is a blessing in disguise. Forces us to find another spark on offense. If it were before qualifiers I’d be singing a different tune obviously. But I really liked what I saw from our side the previous two games even though the result against Bolivia was very underwhelming. Excited to see what we do in this tournament. I’m expecting a pleasant surprise showing. I like what Lasarte is doing.

23. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    After 1 match date, we have a national team captain expressing his love for CA 2021:

In his social media post, the player shared a tally by Brazil's Health Ministry which reveals 52 Covid-19 cases in CA 2021. "Thanks to you Conmebol for this. Entire fault is totally yours", pointed out the player.
    "If one of us die, what are you (Conmebol) going to do about that? What you care about is only money. Is a player's life worth nothing?", added Martins in Instagram.

En su publicación el futbolista compartió un balance del ministerio de Salud de Brasil que revela 52 casos de COVID-19 en la Copa. “Gracias a ustedes de Conmebol por esto. Toda la culpa es totalmente de ustedes”, señala el jugador.
    “¿Si se muere una persona que van a hacer ustedes? Lo que les importa es solamente el dinero. ¿La vida del jugador no vale nada?", agregó Martins en Instagram.

https://www.la-razon.com/marcas/202...por-el-brote-de-contagios-en-la-copa-america/

The report that Marcelo Martins mentioned, shows 52 cases where 33 are players from 4 teams in the tournament.
    https://elpais.com/deportes/copa-am...en-cuatro-selecciones-de-la-copa-america.html

Hold the line Apes! Bolivian players ain't worth media coverage!

24. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    And he's in the process of getting fined.

Seriously get over it and stick to football. What happens happens, but right now the tournament is on still.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    That is football related. Its impacting the squads, right?

Also interesting that posters on both sides of the fence were happy to debate this issue when the Copa COVID case count stood at zero. Now that we are up to 52, one side is arguing "stick to football". :ROFLMAO:

Jadentheman, guri and Cosmin10 repped this.