Copa America 2021

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by Ofori, May 25, 2020.

1. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Its lyrics say something about "Brazilian, Brazilian," and also lyrics which say Maradona is greater than Pelé.

My speculation is that Messi did that in part because of his personal affinity towards Neymar, but also because all these years in Europe probably exposed him to a level of professionalism which has molded his behavior re: opponents, and he concluded it's poor sportsmanship to chant in provocation after beating a team in that team's own home.

2. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona

This one?

1414062533015744516 is not a valid tweet id

3. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    I guess you don't understand Spanish.

4. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I would imagine that's not the one. I wouldn't call that one offensive.

unclesox repped this.
  5. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    It’s the only one I know that mentions Maradona being greater than Pele.

6. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    1414564952178888709 is not a valid tweet id

7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Congrats, now you know another one.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The one that starts, “Brasilero Brasileeeero…”

celito repped this.
  9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No, this one is silly, but really meant to be offensive. It accuses the Brazilian wives of promiscuity.

10. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I see the one now. Not that offensive ... but I see why he didn't want to have it sang on the field itself. But it still ends up being strange when they then sing it in the locker room and it's put on social media :ROFLMAO:

Honestly, doesn't bother me either way.

11. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Isn't it this one ?

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, it could have been that one. I'll give De Paul the benefit of the doubt. There are worse versions.

celito repped this.
  13. unclesox

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Not sure what I said (or how I said it) to receive such a reply but if it helps you to sleep better tonight…

Cosmin10 repped this.
  14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    There are at least two that correctly mention Maradona> Pele.

15. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Yeah, they were denied by a ref’s brain fart, and then by a hot goalkeeper.

16. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    What do you guys make of the all-tournament teams, and which one would win?

Euro:
    Donnarumma, Walker, Bonucci, Maguire, Spinazzola, Hojbjerg, Jorginho, Pedri, Sterling, Chiesa, Lukaku

Copa America:
    Martinez, Isla, Romero, Marquinhos, Estupiñan, De Paul, Casemiro, Yotún, Messi, Díaz, Neymar

I think South America takes it, I like Dibu and our defense, and of course Messi and Neymar.

Christina99 repped this.
  17. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Copa America of course. Messi, Diaz and Neymar upfront? Its a steal!

Great midfield and defense too. And of course, Dibu.

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, probably South America even though I don't think Neymar and Messi would gel very well together.

For the Copa, generally the big name players showed up. That's why the team of the tournament is so strong on paper. Meanwhile, for the Euros there were a lot of surprises from Sterling to the Danes & Swiss which bumped off some of the big names like Mbappe, Ronaldo, KdB, Kimmich, etc. making the Tournament Team 'sound' weaker.

Unfortunately, I have seen nothing in the past month to change my mind that the next World Cup will be dominated by the European teams.

r0adrunner repped this.
  19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Well, they seemed to gel well, they won a bunch of titles together, including Champions League and the Club World Cup.

20. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Not as much as you'd expect given that they had the best midfield in the world to support them. And would have won even less if they had Diaz up front instead of Luisito.

Also, Neymar plays as a #10 today. Back then he was a winger so it was easier to fit him in.

21. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021
    Yes for sure Argentina underachieved in the Copa. If you look at the quality in their squad for all 3 times they made the finals and compare it to their opponent, no doubt they should’ve won easily. I’d say losing in penalties is unlucky, but we never had a great coach until Sabella in 2014. Heck, I would even go as far as saying they should’ve gone further in the 2006 and 2010 World Cups.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Won easily? I don't think anyone considered Argentina big favorites in 2015 given Chile were at home and their squad was peaking at that time. That final was never going to be easy.

2007 maybe slight favorites but that Brazil team was in very good form so I don't think anyone expected that to be easy either. In any case, Messi was just a kid so can't put any blame on him for that loss.

2014 Germany were quite clearly favorites. No need to elaborate.

2016 is the one where they really should have won.

23. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021
    I rephrase, maybe not win easily, but if you look at the quality in their squad compared to their opponents, they definitely should’ve produced better results in at least 1 of those tournaments.

For example, that 2007 team’s Midfield was probably their strongest in the 21st century, literally all their starters (Mascherano, Cambiasso, Veron and Riquelme) were high profile players. To me, that whole 2006 to 2010 period, they should achieved more both in the copa and WC. But poor form, squad selection coaching costed them.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, Maradona ruined that 2010 team. Should have been fired right after that poor qualifying campaign, but because he was a great player and set a world distance record for belly-surfing on wet grass, he was given a free pass.

After around 2011 the squad was in steady (albeit slow) decline and the Messi-dependence became stronger and stronger.

25. AgentOfR9

AgentOfR9 Member

Real Madrid
    Argentina
    Jul 21, 2021
    113FCA29-C32F-4A14-B942-2D491F112C68.jpeg
    Yep I honestly still don’t know how Maradona got the job ahead of such an important tournament considering he had no track record of success as a manager at all. I guess it was just a period of coaches coming and leaving during those years so they didn’t have a lot of choices.

Not only was Maradona limited in terms of systems and tactics, he omitted the 3 Inter players that won the treble for guys like Palermo and Garcé. I can’t help but feel under a competent manager fielding a team like this, they could’ve done something better.