Copa America 2021

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by Ofori, May 25, 2020.

1. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If you could guarantee it, but there are issues with the vaccines themselves, especially Sinovax, and there are documentation issues.

in any event, those weren't the terms under which the tournament was hosted. Taking it away from Argentina and handing it to Brazil where COVID is pretty much just as rampant was always suspect. Having no fans is critical to that and you are also going to have to deal with the AFA and Conmebol.

2. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    The good optics would be, "we have 60K new cases a day and our healthcare workers are being heroes, trying to fight it off, so we're giving them this perk, to thank them." This is very good optics.

I don't know who could make this call. I suppose, CBF and CONMEBOL with the endorsement of Congress and the Supreme Court, if done "for the right reasons". I mean, under the right optics.

3. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Except that it was not "taken away" from Argentina. The Argentine government - against Conmebol wishes - chose at the last moment not to host for political reasons, and Brazil, right or wrong, stepped in to save the Copa.

Albiceleste2010, Burr and Guinho repped this.
  4. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Same here. This has been said in a lot of other places too but, it's funny how after the whole Euros and Copa América and how good the Euros were, the Copa América got the bigger final. Let's hope it's the better match too.

5. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the correction

argentine soccer fan repped this.
  6. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
  7. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
    Tomorrow's final will allow some public in the stands of Maracanã Stadium, and there are fans who are claiming that this is yet more proof of underhanded tactics from people on the Brazil side to gain an unfair advantage given it is the host team.

The final decision to allow about 10% capacity in the stands surprised even senior-ranking members of CONMEBOL, given the negotiations between the city government of Rio de Janeiro was done by Alejandro Dominguez, CONMEBOL's president. CBF and the federal government of Brazil were kept unaware until the final stages of this effort.

This decision stems in part from pressure exerted by the Argentine football association to accommodate fans coming from its country. In fact, the Argentine FA has already begun to distribute about 2,100 tickets at its country's consulate in Rio; no tickets will be sold, it's only for guests.

The 10% is equivalent to about 7,000 people, which is similar to the 5,000 present at the 2020 Libertadores final between Palmeiras and Santos, held at Maracanã as well. The protocols followed then will be implemented tomorrow: a negative PCR test for Covid-19 executed no more than 48 hours before the match, and masks must be worn.

As I wrote days ago, the perception and optics of fans there would have been negative for the administration of President Bolsonaro; neither the Brazilian federal government nor CBF were open to the idea of liberating fans in the stands, even if at a limited basis. CONMEBOL acted without contacting CBF and Dominguez somehow persuaded Rio's city government.

CONMEBOL, not Brazil's federal government and not CBF, is behind this decision. When both Colombia and Argentina became non-hosts, Brazil's Casa Civil (a government office directly linked to the Executive Branch of Government) stated there would be no fans in the event - CONMEBOL has broken this commitment.

For CONMEBOL, it is important that guests representing corporate sponsors are present, as this tournament is the first national team competition including new marketing contracts following "FIFA-gate."

I speculate these nuances and details will be of no consequence to certain fans who insist their team's opponents have won recent games and championships due to "extra-curricular" assistance, but it may be worth for them to be aware if their team fails to lift the trophy on Saturday and they attempt to rationalize such a result on factors other than the game itself.

8. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    It's actually CONMEBOL that pushed for fans ... and reportedly with the support of AFA who are getting 2500 tickets. AFA already said there are already 500 fans coming from Argentina.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Supposedly tickets are going to "corporate friends" ... surely money is exchanging hands directly or indirectly for some of these tickets.

Guinho repped this.
  9. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Well, I did say they should put some fans on the stands... done.

10. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Brazil very unlucky. Argentina shot ONCE on goal the whole game. ONCE. But scored. They did play better the first half, but Brazil played much better the second half and had many opportunities, with a couple of great saves by the Argentinian goalie. Argentina stalled and were manipulative for the entire second half, in a masterclass of South American shenanigans. Messi did nothing. Neymar fought like hell and was chased around with fouls all the time.

The best team did not win today.

On the other hand, any soccer-loving person on the planet must feel good for Messi. The guy did deserve to lift a trophy with his national team, and he finally did it in his 10th attempt. His career is now complete.

Messi was a shadow of his usual self during the final, like it is often the case for him in finals, but he was instrumental for his team during all the other phases of the tournament so he is a deserving gold medalist. Good for him. Congratulations, Messi.

Guinho repped this.
  11. tripwire

tripwire Member+

Sep 23, 2012
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    The 9 yellow cards felt more like should have been 18, but this is how they let them play. Otamundi should have been arrested for the live muggings. How he made it through without getting two yellows is a story upon itself. Did Messi play?

Give Otamundi the MVP for what he got away with against Neymar, and took him off his game.

12. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Yes, we won like that.

And frankly after playing better past finals, I don't care one bit. We had to win at any cost. :D

13. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
  14. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It wouldnt be international soccer without money changing hands after all!

15. Guinho

Guinho Member+

Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. It seems fair to finally be on the right side of that equation for once.

ShortyMac repped this.
  16. Brasitusa

Brasitusa Member+

AC Milan
    Italy
    May 14, 2014
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Yes, I hear you. For all that you did in this tournament, and did appear to want it more, I congratulate you on your title. It was too long a title drought for a world-class soccer nation like you are, and it was about time to win a title, whatever it took. And I'm happy for Messi. The guy is a class act and deserved it (even though he was likely one of the worst players on the pitch today - but for the bulk of his career and for all that he did for Argentina in the past and in this tournament, he clearly deserved to lift a trophy, and finally did).

Burr, ShortyMac and glennaldo_sf repped this.
  17. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    :ROFLMAO:

18. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Neither team were good. Game unfortunately turned into one of those South American battles that little football is played. We weren't unlucky. We just weren't that good. Argentina did what they thought they had to do to hold on to the lead after the went ahead. It is what it is. Not an entertaining or memorable final ... but a title is a title.

19. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Very entertaining and memorable final... congrats Argentina

20. cabezamagica

cabezamagica Member

Feb 10, 2011
    NYC
    Club:
    Barcelona Guayaquil
    Nat'l Team:
    Ecuador
    Great win for Argentina,Played a great game,although sometimes foolishly compromising themselves,trying to play the ball from the back instead of just blasting it.:eek::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Albiceleste2010 repped this.
  21. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    1844863B-5D11-472D-8A6D-0FCD2F0078C5.jpeg
    I loved this moment. Love, friendship and respect between two great ones. Messi finally had his day with his NT. I expect that Neymar will too.

Guinho, Burr, Albiceleste2010 and 2 others repped this.
  22. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Both know and appreciate how much pressure they are under at NT level.

Burr repped this.
  23. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    ARGENTINA CAMPEÓN!

AL FIN

Lo merecimos durante mucho, mucho (mucho tiempo) y al fin ocurrió

It was time

I cant even put into words how much I love Messi. Messi is a synonym of soccer for my 4 y/old kid. He has the messi boll, the messi shirt, he thinks all players are named Messi. I think he wont be able to watch another player like Messi in his long life...i doubt there will br anyone like Messi in the next 100 years, or 200, or 1000....but I will show him the videos (i already do), i will talk to him about that magician that made the impossible look easy!! I will tell him about the team that tried and tried and tried and reach many finals and was so unlucky....until it finally happened.

I will forever be grateful to this team, to Di Maria (my 2nd favourite sinxe the 2008 olympics), to Messi (my fave since forever and will be forever), but also Kun, Pipita, Masche, and all the golden generation players and coachs (heres to you, Sabella), all these new amazing players (heres to you, De Paul, but also Cuti and Papu and Lautaro and DIBU!!!!!! -hero- and all of them. And Scaloni too. And Diego. We will never forget any of you. Thank you.

Burr, Brasitusa, Albiceleste2010 and 4 others repped this.
  24. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Let's see if the Euro can generate feelings like that...

25. Albiceleste2010

Albiceleste2010 Member+

Watford
    Argentina
    Jun 5, 2010
    Watford
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sean eternos los laureles, que supimos conseguir, que supimos conseguir.......

:)

Burr, locoxriver and Christina99 repped this.